Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by bluetick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:43 pm

Seriously. This economy should be a republican's wet dream. The Bush tax cuts got extended, interest rates are ridiculously low and the dow and nasdaq are well above their 5 and 10 yr averages. And it's mostly dems who can't get a job; the wealthy are doing better than ever by any measure you want.

What is it really about oprama that gets under conservative's skin so? I jes can't figger it out.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:49 pm

I jes can't figger it out

Preciate the honesty.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Obama was elected by republicans. As bad a ticket as Obama-Biden was, McCain-Palin was worse, IMO. There has to be an answer out there, and I refuse to accept that either ticket is representative of the best that America has to offer. Ditto Bush-Gore and Bush-Kerry.

Regardless. I just hope that the party opposite controls Congress. If we get a Repub in the oval office, I want Dems on the Hill - and vice versa.

So, who will Rs offer to unseat Obama? Newt is smart, but unelectable. Romney is viewed poorly in some areas because his religion makes him wear magic underwear. Who else is out there?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Tick,

Do you blame Obama for the debt being higher now?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

GBJs
Senior
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by GBJs » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:02 pm

He's a middle of the roader. It's the same thing I would have disliked about John Kerry.

Promise change for people to hear what they want to hear at the time. Well, we've still got two wars. Oh yeah, deficit SPENDING continues. One thing he said was true though. He's the most transparent piece of shit I've ever seen.

Gotta admit though, he doesn't spend much time at Kennebunkport. His wife would rather go to Paris... with the entire 14 Suburban fleet... on Air Force One...
Worth. Every. Cent.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Who else is out there?

...wrote Mr. Alum...my answer, truly, it doesn't matter. This exercise of impugning R's shortcomings while ignoring Obammers is nothing new...it's what the MSM, and chat boards are all about and have been for years...Remember 1989?

O' beautiful, for spacious skies
But now those skies are threatening
They're beating plowshares into swords
For this tired old man that we elected king...

That's Don Henley, expressing the libs opinion about Reagan, no different now...not that anyone in the current field is "Reagan"...it don't matter...nothing (in the debate) has changed.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:15 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Tick,

Yes I filed late. I usually get two extensions before I will pay.

But you're right: the rebates did come that summer. Do you think they had zero positive effect?

Also, since debt is higher now than under Bush, do you blame Obama? Is he worse than Bush in regards to the economy or would you say that other factors, outside of Obama's control make the debt comparison an unfair one to saddle Obama with?

Debt-wise, oprama chose to spend big in order to stave off the crash. Unfortunately more debt will eventually lead to a more spectacular crash later on. I'm all for us getting lean, so long as it's across the board as I've stated before.

You mentioned what directions we should take with the economy going forward, and I think you mentioned getting away from wars first. That would be my hope, and I believe those are some of the outside factors you were alluding to.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:Who else is out there?

...wrote Mr. Alum...my answer, truly, it doesn't matter. This exercise of impugning R's shortcomings while ignoring Obammers is nothing new...it's what the MSM, and chat boards are all about and have been for years...Remember 1989?

O' beautiful, for spacious skies
But now those skies are threatening
They're beating plowshares into swords
For this tired old man that we elected king...

That's Don Henley, expressing the libs opinion about Reagan, no different now...not that anyone in the current field is "Reagan"...it don't matter...nothing (in the debate) has changed.
It doesn't matter who else is out there? Truly? That's kinda sad, even for you, toe.

At least you can find solace in your country & western collection (your savior since rock and roll sold out to the libs). And your nascar and huntin' and whatever else you GA crackers do.

Buck up, man. Didn't you blow anything up over the Fourth?

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Bush was inaugurated in 2001. His tax cuts legislation did not go through until after the 2001 tax deadline. Blaming Bush for 2001 is like blaming Obama for 2009.

Surely you can see that the near collapse of NASDAQ and the 9/11 attack had some bearing on the economy that year?

That said, the national debt is higher now than it was in Bush 43's last year. Do you blame Obama as someone who is making worse economic decisions than Bush 43?
The national debt increases every year except for a couple of years under Clinton. Why??? Because until there is no deficit spending, it will increase. The issue is not the debt, but the debt relative to GNP.

The Nasdaq collapse was in 2000, we were out of the recession (in part created by Greenspan's attempt at a "soft landing") by the inauguration of Bush II mid-January. Bush's tax cut was not for 2001 revenue, and 9/11 did have an effect (although, the CBO projected deficit spending after the tax cuts before 9/11). Of course the other primary things that ballooned the budget before the crash included large unfunding increases in spending by the administration, and 2 unfunded wars (which Bush refused to put on the balance books).
My Dad is my hero still.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Spacer,

The NASDAQ was over 5000 in March of 2000. It did not hit bottom until 2002 sometime. In other words, the bubble burst in 2000, but the balloon took a good while to deflate. A full 50% of those dot.coms ceased to exist in that crisis. I know this well. I invested in the NASDAQ.

As far as the war, yes those dollars should have been on the books.
— Abraham Lincoln

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:17 pm

I want Clinton back as President and Newt back as Speaker. They remain the fiscal Dream Team of the past 40 years.

Bush, McConnell and Boehner were big borrowers and spenders. Obama, Pelosi and Reed were bigger borrowers, bigger taxers and catastrophic spenders.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Well, at the very least, I want the party opposite to control Congress. Dem in the Oval Office, Repub Congress, please. Repub in the Oval Office, Dem Congress, please.

With a nod to Stockdale: GRIDLOCK!
— Abraham Lincoln

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:18 pm

PNNery will take issue with your desire for any Dem's involved in the government whatsoever.

If the R's ever simultaneously controlled the White House, the House and the Senate, it would be a Golden Age. The Lion would lay down with the lamb. All the nation's problems would be solved.

There certainly wouldn't be a severe recession caused by a financial market meltdown caused by insane housing and lending practices caused by government policies. The R's would never let that kind of thing happen when they were in total charge.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:33 pm

History shows, when it comes to budget matters, you want R's in congress.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1
College Hoops Affiliation: Cincinnati

Post by TheBigMook » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:35 pm

sardis wrote:History shows, when it comes to budget matters, you want R's in congress.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHASSLEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
THE OG SSG

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:07 pm

sardis wrote:History shows, when it comes to budget matters, you want R's in congress.
Under Clinton, yes.

Under W, no.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:33 pm

I LIKE TURTLES !

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:38 pm

bluetick wrote:Seriously. This economy should be a republican's wet dream. The Bush tax cuts got extended, interest rates are ridiculously low and the dow and nasdaq are well above their 5 and 10 yr averages. And it's mostly dems who can't get a job; the wealthy are doing better than ever by any measure you want.

What is it really about oprama that gets under conservative's skin so? I jes can't figger it out.
I've stated it repeatedly, but you don't listen or comment. Its all about uncertainty. Nobody knows what their taxes are going to be a year from now. Nobody knows what interest rates are going to be a year from now or inflation. Nobody knows what is going to happen to Opramacare: Ruled uncon? Ruled legal? What will its impact be? What will the thousands of pages of regulations say and cost? Nobody knows if the Chinks are gonna keep buying our debt or if DC will actually cut the deficit (160 billion in 2007 sounds AWESOME today don't it?). NOBODY KNOWS! And when nobody knows people and biz are VERY hesitant to risk money hiring people.

Everybody DOES know that pols will do a damn thing about SS/Medicare/Medicaid until the last possible second which will make it a million times worse than doing something now.

Its not rocket science. Ask some of your friggin clients as to why they may or may not be expanding or hiring.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:39 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Obama was elected by republicans. As bad a ticket as Obama-Biden was, McCain-Palin was worse, IMO. There has to be an answer out there, and I refuse to accept that either ticket is representative of the best that America has to offer. Ditto Bush-Gore and Bush-Kerry.

Regardless. I just hope that the party opposite controls Congress. If we get a Repub in the oval office, I want Dems on the Hill - and vice versa.

So, who will Rs offer to unseat Obama? Newt is smart, but unelectable. Romney is viewed poorly in some areas because his religion makes him wear magic underwear. Who else is out there?
I think history shows if you have a sort of moderate Dem as Prez and an R congress you have your best bet. Vice versa doesn't seem to work out to well much of the time as far as deficits go.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:40 pm

bluetick wrote:

Yes I filed late. I usually get two extensions before I will pay.

But you're right: the rebates did come that summer. Do you think they had zero positive effect?

Also, since debt is higher now than under Bush, do you blame Obama? Is he worse than Bush in regards to the economy or would you say that other factors, outside of Obama's control make the debt comparison an unfair one to saddle Obama with?

Debt-wise, oprama chose to spend big in order to stave off the crash. Unfortunately more debt will eventually lead to a more spectacular crash later on. I'm all for us getting lean, so long as it's across the board as I've stated before.

You mentioned what directions we should take with the economy going forward, and I think you mentioned getting away from wars first. That would be my hope, and I believe those are some of the outside factors you were alluding to.
Across the board is the only way something will likely get passed, but the problems with SS and Medicare are structural and that is harder to fix.