Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by crashcourse » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:10 pm

"I'm betting none of the cop-killers got excused by a grand jury on the grounds that they acted in self-defense. Even though the victim was armed...'"

that statement I will just leave alone and let it stand on its own merit

'The cop who shot the 12 year old washed out of his 1st police job because he was correctly evaluated as unable to take the pressure. The fact that another, larger police department picked him up is a direct indictment on the leadership and management of the Cleveland PD."

CONCUR

unfortunately every career one may pursue is usually has an idiot employed here or there who has no common sense, no kills, power hungry or whatever and the field of law enforcement is no different

but the ability of law enfporcemnt to protect the public has gotten increasingly difficult. the amount of hoops you jump through making an arest and making it stick is ludiccrous. the number of cases thrown out for incorrect procedures puts many back on the streets. our jails muight be overcrowded but there is a helluva lot of bad people on the streets.

in war accidents happen and you shoot the good guys

I would love for it to be a perfect world and certainly if ferguson and cleveland and newyork and whatever else you want to bring up does anything else--cops are going to think twice about discharging their weapons and it will cost a cop his life someday. likely it already has but you dont hear those stories because the cop is dead due to his delay

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:58 pm

crashcourse wrote:"I'm betting none of the cop-killers got excused by a grand jury on the grounds that they acted in self-defense. Even though the victim was armed...'"

that statement I will just leave alone and let it stand on its own merit

'The cop who shot the 12 year old washed out of his 1st police job because he was correctly evaluated as unable to take the pressure. The fact that another, larger police department picked him up is a direct indictment on the leadership and management of the Cleveland PD."

CONCUR

unfortunately every career one may pursue is usually has an idiot employed here or there who has no common sense, no kills, power hungry or whatever and the field of law enforcement is no different

but the ability of law enfporcemnt to protect the public has gotten increasingly difficult. the amount of hoops you jump through making an arest and making it stick is ludiccrous. the number of cases thrown out for incorrect procedures puts many back on the streets. our jails muight be overcrowded but there is a helluva lot of bad people on the streets.

in war accidents happen and you shoot the good guys

I would love for it to be a perfect world and certainly if ferguson and cleveland and newyork and whatever else you want to bring up does anything else--cops are going to think twice about discharging their weapons and it will cost a cop his life someday. likely it already has but you dont hear those stories because the cop is dead due to his delay

Bolded is part of the problem mentality...should police work, arresting guys selling loose cigarettes and ushering a guy with Downs Syndrome out of a theater, be considered a 'war''? Why do we now train cops to view their patrol as enemy, hostile territory, and to fire at the first sign of trouble?

And maybe it sounds bad, but I would rather a cop lose his life than a kid playing with a toy gun. I completely do not understand the mentality that treats that's as an 'acceptable loss' or 'collateral damage in a greater war.'

The case that launched the Feds to investigate the Cleveland PD was this one:

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/ ... _reac.html

Now these two were druggies and were obviously criminals, but they led a police chase that involved over SIXTY police cars speeding through the streets of downtown Cleveland at 100 mph. By the time it was all over, and both suspects were dead, their car had 140 bullet holes in it. When the car finally came to a stop, one officer leaped out , jumped onto the suspects hood, and pumped 15 bullets alone into their bodies through the car windshield. We only know of the 140 bullets that struck their car at some point. Who knows how many others were fired? It's a miracle innocent bystanders weren't killed. If a dozen people had been killed by cops' bullets while they pursued these two, would it all have been worth it in the end because we got the bad guys?

Officers claimed that they were fired upon yet no guns were ever found, there were no guns in the suspects car, no cops were harmed or reported injuries, and there were no bullet holes in any of the 62 cop cars that chased them.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:08 am

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:10 am

Another gem by George Will (Peace be upon him).

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/3 ... eorge-will

The over criminalization of everything and draconian over incarceration of everybody is a serious problem in the US that few people are talking about. That's definitely one of my hobby-horse issues. On this I suspect my esteemed colleague hedge and I would agree.

Go Libertarians!
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:40 pm

"On this I suspect my esteemed colleague hedge and I would agree."

Indeed. Where I suspect we would disagree is that I see this fetish to criminalize everything as a by-product of the religious impulse. If you are convinced that man is born in sin, then obviously he must be punished. Bad premises usually lead to bad results...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Indeed......the religious fervor that drives MMGW is a prime example....
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Chilling words from the soon-to-be most powerful senator wrt climate policy, Sen. James Inhofe (R):

"The Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that 'as long as the earth remains there will be seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night.' My point is, God's still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is outrageous."
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:13 pm

I wonder why he doesn't feel that way about law enforcement...

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:15 pm

Nearly Half of Americans Think the Flu Shot Can Make You Sick http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical ... id=U142DHP

Basically the same cast of characters as the AGW deniers. Skeptical of the science peddled by pinhead medical professionals, big pharma, the media and the gubmint.

Heh. Which one of you mouth breathers wants to go first with your flu-shots-is-evil story?
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:25 pm

They also would have you believe that narcotics and the like are bad for you...

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:08 pm

bluetick wrote:
Basically the same cast of characters as the AGW deniers. Skeptical of the science peddled by pinhead medical professionals, big pharma, the media and the gubmint.

Pls help. I don't find this quoted or referenced to in the king James bible....it must be in your holy scriptures, possibly the book of Gore or Ehrlich. It MUST be science though.....Help!

...or do you deny this evidence?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:45 pm

Maybe because we see people still get the flu after they have the flu shot...

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:49 pm

sardis wrote:Maybe because we see people still get the flu after they have the flu shot...
The flu shot doesn't protect against all strains of flu. It's not meant to.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Not only that, but even if it's the right strain, no vaccination is 100%.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:56 pm

I know, so why bother; nevertheless, I still let my wife drag the kids to the CVS and have it done. Overly medicate just to be safe is always her motto.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Why bother? Because math.

An otherwise healthy adult will reduce his chance of influenza by about 90%. Any person who has even a rudimentary understanding of statistics will be a flu shop champion.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:04 pm

Medical School Students Across the Nation Stage Die-In's to Denounce Racial Biases in Healthcare

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture ... so_article

Medical school students across the nation put on their white coats on Wednesday and staged die-in’s as a way to protest the recent killings of unarmed black men by law-enforcement, Al Jazeera reports.

“Participants say the same structural racism that results in police brutality against blacks manifests itself in the health care system, leading to poorer health, shorter life expectancies and inferior medical care for black Americans,” the news site explained.

Jamie Lim, a first-year student at Boston University’s School of Medicine, explained to Al Jazeera that the U.S. healthcare system is just as guilty as its criminal justice system for harboring racial biases towards its patrons.

“The main purpose of the demonstration for us as medical students is to demonstrate our commitment to acknowledging and addressing systematic racism not only in the context of the criminal justice system but particularly in the context of health care,” Lim said.

Other participating medical schools included Boston University, Havard, Yale, Duke and Emory. The die-in occurred at 3 p.m. EST.

Dorothy Charles, a medical student at University of Pennsylvania, described how she hopes the event will get medical school students and healthcare practitioners thinking about the ways the medical community “may be unconsciously perpetuating racial injustice,” Al Jazeera reports.

“These incidents are fueled by something more than police aggression — systematic racism permeates all of society, and you can definitely find it in medicine,” Charles said
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Heh, you can have my flu shot.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:41 pm

Already had mine. I'm good at math.
— Abraham Lincoln

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:19 pm

hedge wrote:"On this I suspect my esteemed colleague hedge and I would agree."

Indeed. Where I suspect we would disagree is that I see this fetish to criminalize everything as a by-product of the religious impulse. If you are convinced that man is born in sin, then obviously he must be punished. Bad premises usually lead to bad results...
It's secular liberals that want to criminalize everything, not religious conservatives. If you doubt that, remember that Garner was strangled for the crime selling individual cigarettes, which is apparently a huge deal in ultra-liberal NY. Nobody would care in religious Dallas or Atlanta, even though the legions of Baptists there disapprove of tobacco.

For that matter, liberals won't let you eat veal or smoke or disapprove of gay sex or own a gun or drive a gas guzzling car or use an old light bulb, etc. etc, etc.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden