"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Then why didn't you support Mitt Romney? What you described was exactly what he promised he would do.
I didn't support Mitt Romney because he was obviously a political chameleon who would say anything to get elected. He may have promised to oppose Obamacare, but given the fact that Obamacare was merely Romneycare an a bigger stage, I had less than zero percent confidence that he would oppose something he had passionately supported as governor.

If I wanted a pro-government-run healthcare, pro-abortion, pro-gun control president, I would have voted for Obama. At least he was honest about his agenda.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:39 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:While they are at it, Republicans can also announce that their next president will sign an executive order banning abortions and gay marriages in all 50 states.
Heh. America will elect another Muslim from Kenya before we'll elect a Republican POTUS.

NEXT 5 POTUS:

CLINTON, Hillary Rodham
CASTRO, Joaquin
CASTRO, Julian
LUNA, Ana Hernandez
*BUSH, George Prescott Garnica

* - by the time Bush III gets elected, he'll have converted to Dem.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:41 pm

I would have voted for Obama..

Well, you did, so stop acting like you didn't.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:09 pm

bluetick wrote:From the AP:

in 1986 Reagan issued an executive order that provided relief for the undocumented children of immigrants who had been granted amnesty under IRCA. In 1990, George W. H. Bush likewise signed an executive order that established a "family fairness" program that deferred deportations for some "family members living with a legalizing immigrant" who were in the country before IRCA was passed. Up to 1.5 million people were affected by Bush's executive action, approximately the same percentage of the undocumented immigrant population expected to be affected by Obama's forthcoming order.

But let's be honest here. Reagan and Bush were both legitimate born-in-America presidents, so their decrees were bonafide and one hunnert percent Constitutional.

As opposed to you-know-who..
If granting amnesty is common for Presidents, then why this?...

[youtube]ehH8KMIxntQ[/youtube]
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:13 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:I would have voted for Obama..

Well, you did, so stop acting like you didn't.
Incorrect. I voted for Ron Paul. I would do so again.

If Romney had won, we would have Obamacare Lite right now. Yipee.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:21 pm

I voted for Ron Paul.

Same difference...look, it's not my place to tell you who to vote for...but if you need to rationalize some I'm above it all by constantly saying you were able to see through Romney and his hypocrisy, go ahead....just leave off the faux atruism and faux piety that you somehow were making a statement. There was plenty of evidence that Obama would turn out just like he has, a lying, narcissistic, power-grabbing amateur....we got what you voted for, we deserve it.
Last edited by Toemeesleather on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Heh. America will elect another Muslim from Kenya before we'll elect a Republican POTUS.
I'm not sure if you noticed, but we had an election a couple of weeks ago. And the Dem's got their collective asses handed to them. The American people don't seem to have the same blind mystical devotion to the Dem's as you have and impute to them. Hillary was the slam dunk, sure-fire, guaranteed Democrat nominee in 2008, until she wasn't. She's a fairly weak candidate with very few accomplishments in her life. But you're right - the GOP may nominate another RINO goober like Romney, or McCain, or Dole. That might be enough to sneak the PAH back into the White House.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:55 pm

C'mon, prof, just because the Democratic contingent are too lazy to get their asses off the couch to vote doesn't mean their vote should not be counted.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:59 pm

In Chicago they ARE counted. Along with their dead relatives and friends.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:
I'm not sure if you noticed, but we had an election a couple of weeks ago. And the Dem's got their collective asses handed to them.
Almost EVERY POTUS gets his ass kicked in his 6th year midterm.

FDR - Dems lost 81 seats in the House and 7 in the Senate
Truman - lost 28 seats in the House and 5 in the Senate
IKE - lost 49 seats in the House and 15 (FIFTEEN!) in the Senate
St. Reagan - lost 5 seats in the House and 8 in the Senate
Clinton - held serve. +5 in the House and no change in the Senate (but the Senate was already 55-45 GOP)
GWB - lost 31 House seats and 6 in the Senate.

So Barry's -12 in the House and -8 in the Senate is about par for the course.

The telling statistic, however, is that even though the GOP had a net +20 in national races, their overall margin of votes was underwhelming. Unless the GOP finds a way to suddenly move large numbers of hispanic, asian and urban voters, Hillary will not only win the Presidency, but very likely win both houses of Congress as well.

Plus, when you add in the 30,000,000 illegals that Obama is secretly adding to the rolls . . . the GOP is toast!
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Johnette's Daddy wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:
I'm not sure if you noticed, but we had an election a couple of weeks ago. And the Dem's got their collective asses handed to them.
Almost EVERY POTUS gets his ass kicked in his 6th year midterm.

FDR - Dems lost 81 seats in the House and 7 in the Senate
Truman - lost 28 seats in the House and 5 in the Senate
IKE - lost 49 seats in the House and 15 (FIFTEEN!) in the Senate
St. Reagan - lost 5 seats in the House and 8 in the Senate
Clinton - held serve. +5 in the House and no change in the Senate (but the Senate was already 55-45 GOP)
GWB - lost 31 House seats and 6 in the Senate.

So Barry's -12 in the House and -8 in the Senate is about par for the course.

The telling statistic, however, is that even though the GOP had a net +20 in national races, their overall margin of votes was underwhelming. Unless the GOP finds a way to suddenly move large numbers of hispanic, asian and urban voters, Hillary will not only win the Presidency, but very likely win both houses of Congress as well.

Plus, when you add in the 30,000,000 illegals that Obama is secretly adding to the rolls . . . the GOP is toast!
The reality is - the GOP has pretty much "maxed out" the White vote at 61%, while doing very little to draw meaningful numbers of non-whites. With a non-Black Democratic candidate, one can reasonably expect the GOP's margin to shrink (56%-58% instead of 60%-61%), particularly if it's Hilary, because she will draw White women. How they draw non-White voters in 2016 is an as of yet unseen alchemy.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Here are electoral maps after the 2014 election:

http://elections.nytimes.com/2014/results/house

http://www.270towin.com/2014-senate-ele ... ults-live/

http://www.270towin.com/2014-governor-e ... ults-live/

Looks like the GOP is a long way from toast. In fact, it looks like the R's are doing pretty well. Looks like the Dem's only exist near an ocean, a Great Lake, a large university, and where pot is legal.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:Looks like the Dem's only exist near an ocean, a Great Lake, a large university, and where pot is legal.
Well, if mountains, trees and wheatfields could vote, yes. Sadly (for the GOP), the vast majority of Americans live near an ocean, a Great Lake, a large university, and where pot is legal.

There are 10,000,000 people in Los Angeles County. That's more that the populations of Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, West Virginia, Nebraska and Maine COMBINED.

One of the biggest inequities in our system is the apportionment of Senate seats. My city councilperson received more votes than some of the US Senators who were reelected two weeks ago.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:02 pm

I think the common liberal term of contempt is "flyover country."

The R's control both the House, the Senate, and most governorships and state houses. They're doing okay. Although I agree they have some significant demographic problems in the long run. They do tend to all look like Vern Lundquist.

And Hillary is no more guaranteed to win the presidency now than she was in 2008. Her resume is pathetic. But the R's never miss and opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:09 am

I'm betting a Nobel is in the mail for Hillary.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:11 am

When Bush and Ronnie did it, they were following the laws that were in place and using statutes from it.

Obama is basically making his own law cause the house and senate won't play nice.

Am I off on this or no?
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:33 am

When Bush and Ronnie did it, they were following the laws that were in place and using statutes from it.

Obama is basically making his own law cause the house and senate won't play nice.

Am I off on this or no?
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:45 am

Yes, you are correct

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:46 am

So wouldn't that be a dangerous precedent to start?