Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:34 pm

The ACC Coastal is a dumpster fire, and UNC is just a fucking disgrace to the game of football right now. It's like watching the Bunting era with a little bit more offense during garbage time.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Kevi,

A coached-up three star can fit the bill. He just can't be a Schmoe. No truly good team should have a Schmoe in their three-deep. The Ville has three losses, and three challenging games left. They win two of those three, end up 8-4, and I think I would be okay with saying they were solid, and bordering on good. Not on their current body of work, though.

Re: UGA and Clemson: Georgia is schizophrenic. Depends on which team shows up. But Georgia won the meeting earlier in the year decisively. I can't easily flip a 24-point win on personnel what-ifs. We just have to go with the result. There are no do-overs.

Re: ESPN and SEC bias, I don't know. I think due respect is given to the best division in college football. Maybe you can give me examples of something egregious one of the talking heads has done, other than just offering an opinion on who they think is better?

As far as the SEC-W not having any 'elite teams' what teams do you feel are elite this year?

Re: Who gets in the playoff. I don't think that the committee will do that. In fact, I think that's why we went to a committee instead of the top four of the BCS. But this was what people wanted because of "OMG! SEC BIAS WITH THE BCS!!" So now we're getting "OMG! PLAYOFF COMMITTEE BIAS WITH THE SEC!!"
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:17 pm

The SECw is very good this year but ESPN, et al, seems to think they're better than the NFC South. It's a solid division with four very good but not elite teams. But there are no elite teams, and you could probably throw 8-12 teams into a bag and pull out some great matchups.
SO there are 8-12 good teams in the entire country of 126 teams and 4 of those teams are in the same 7 team division and this is your proof that the SEC west is overrated?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by KeviNole » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:27 pm

aTm wrote:
The SECw is very good this year but ESPN, et al, seems to think they're better than the NFC South. It's a solid division with four very good but not elite teams. But there are no elite teams, and you could probably throw 8-12 teams into a bag and pull out some great matchups.
SO there are 8-12 good teams in the entire country of 126 teams and 4 of those teams are in the same 7 team division and this is your proof that the SEC west is overrated?
Yeah, that's exactly what I said...now get back on the short bus and post more Youtube videos about how thrilling the latest TAMU loss was.

Who is elite? Nobody, that's the point.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Harsh...

(Nice job)
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:09 pm

You seem a little angry, but OK. This should cheer you up.

[youtube]okc_U_W-n2g[/youtube]
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Dr. Nostron
Junior

Post by Dr. Nostron » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:43 pm

Noles got dropped from #1 to #2 because they "struggled" with the likes of Cuse and Wake (and they covered vs Wake and just missed vs Cuse) but then got no bump from beating top 5 Notre Dame.

Miss St likewise struggled against Kentucky and Arkansas - but wasnt punished.

Now the only reason this matters is because I want the Noles in New Orleans for the semifinals since I already have hotel rooms and dinner reservations!

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:44 pm

It's early. I wouldn't be concerned with any rankings yet.
— Abraham Lincoln

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Dr. Nostron wrote:Noles got dropped from #1 to #2 because they "struggled" with the likes of Cuse and Wake (and they covered vs Wake and just missed vs Cuse) but then got no bump from beating top 5 Notre Dame.

Miss St likewise struggled against Kentucky and Arkansas - but wasnt punished.

Now the only reason this matters is because I want the Noles in New Orleans for the semifinals since I already have hotel rooms and dinner reservations!
Was going to post this but you beat me to it. I've got no problem with the notion that you don't get to stay #1 until you lose a game and that the quality and margin of your victories matters too.

But FSU beat Notre Dame and a decent Louisville team at the same time Miss State was struggling against Kentucky and Arkansas...and Mississippi State hasn't even lost ground. Non-SEC teams don't just have to win, they have to win every game by 40+ points else risk being dropped below an SEC team with a comparable record. And when you DO win by 40 you will be criticized for playing weak opponents

Dr. Nostron
Junior

Post by Dr. Nostron » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:27 pm

I was going to mention that also Strangelove.

If FSU beats UVA 49-0 saturday they will be accused of running up the score and that UVA sux.

But AA is correct - really nothing to get worked up about at this point - just fun to discuss.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:37 pm

It'll be interesting to see how the ACC does on Nov. 29. For the first time in quite a while, the ACC stands a decent shot to sweep. The biggest issue is that Spurrier owns Dabo, but South Carolina seems to be falling apart.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:54 pm

Gimme a break. All the major teams have struggled at one point or another this season, DSL. Even FSU. And what have we had? One Playoff ranking? Or is it two? And we're already alleging SEC Bias with them? The committee picks what it believes are its four best teams and MOV isn't something that they are touting.

Christ on a cross, BCS Truthers have morphed into Playoff Committee Truthers. ORMEGAWD!! SEC BIAS IS EVERY WHERE!
— Abraham Lincoln

Dr. Nostron
Junior

Post by Dr. Nostron » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:58 pm

OK serious question - maybe it happens every year and I just dont pay enough attention.

But I bet you cant find many examples of the defending national champion dropping the #1 ranking after a win?

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Auburn won the NC in 2010. Look where they started in 2011 (20th, iirc). They won a couple of games and never cracked the top 15 before they went to shit.

Winning the NC last year should mean nothing in the rankings the next year.
— Abraham Lincoln

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:24 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Gimme a break. All the major teams have struggled at one point or another this season, DSL. Even FSU. And what have we had? One Playoff ranking? Or is it two? And we're already alleging SEC Bias with them? The committee picks what it believes are its four best teams and MOV isn't something that they are touting.

Christ on a cross, BCS Truthers have morphed into Playoff Committee Truthers. ORMEGAWD!! SEC BIAS IS EVERY WHERE!
I'm not concerned about the playoffs, I'm concerned about how the media treats the SEC differently than every other conference.

Florida State dropped from #1 to #2 after a lackluster performance beating Syracuse 38-20.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT

The problem is that two weeks later Mississippi State struggles to beat Arkansas, losers of 16 straight SEC games, and Mississippi State loses just one first place vote. To me, that's a double standard. If FSU can lose the #1 spot after a bad performance, so can Miss State.

The week of October 18th, Mississippi State had a bye. FSU beat Notre Dame. Mississippi State gained ground in the AP poll. Ole Miss gained ground on FSU as well by virtue of a win over Tennessee

I know the polls don't really matter anymore and it's where teams are at the end that really matters, but the positioning over the course of the season DOES affect how the teams get ranked at the end.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:50 pm

And it wasn't just the AP that flipped the teams. The coaches did too.

But besides that, it's beyond stupid. 1 or 2, especially this early, just doesn't matter.
— Abraham Lincoln

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:01 am

Agreed, it doesn't matter. It would have been nice to have a chance at another wire-to-wire #1 since they're so rare, but it's not important.

My only real issue with the first playoff bracket was putting Ole Miss in three days after losing (and looking awful) against LSU. Oregon had a resume at least as good and hadn't lost in a while. Again, the SECw teams are getting credit for (apparently) tough games both before AND after they are played, which is just stupid.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:03 am

Oh and congrats on that ULM win, TAMU.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:22 am

I think that the committee looked at the body of work. While Ole Miss lost a game they really shouldn't have, Oregon had lost as well to Arizona a couple of weeks earlier. While it is possible that they gave Ole Miss more credit for a quality win (Bama) than Oregon (Michigan State), it was also obvious that the poll was going to be very fluid in the future wrt to SEC teams in that we had games between Ole Miss and Auburn, and Miss State and Ole Miss coming up this season, along with Bama getting a shot at MSU and the Tigers from the periphery.

iirc, there is just one SEC guy on the committee, Long from Arkansas. I do not believe any untoward conspiracy or brainwashing exists. Rather, I think they have essentially got it right in that my top three would be 1. FSU, 2. Miss State and 3. Auburn.

The 4th spot is a wild card, but I believe it will go to Oregon and they will stay there because I don't believe there is a team on their sched who will beat them in the regular season, whereas (as mentioned above) MissState has to travel to Bama and Ole Miss and Auburn has to travel to Bama.
— Abraham Lincoln

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia

Post by dave_rickart » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:34 am

Dr. Nostron wrote:I was going to mention that also Strangelove.

If FSU beats UVA 49-0 saturday they will be accused of running up the score and that UVA sux.

But AA is correct - really nothing to get worked up about at this point - just fun to discuss.
especially bc it will help get London fired.
Home of the 2019 National Champions.