Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 pm

You don't have to prove a negative? What?
Me: Why should gay marriage be illegal or disallowed?

You: I don't have to prove a negative!
That's not proving a negative, it's stating why you believe that same-sex marriages should be illegal or disallowed.

As to why I believe they should be legal: I believe that consenting adult gay couples should be afforded the same rights and options by the State as hetero couples.
All you are saying is that anyone who doesn't think like YOU is bad.
Cite where I said this or retract your statement.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:26 pm

You don't think this happens ALL THE TIME with airline employees out West? Get the fuck out of Alabama and move out to Arizona/Nevada/California/Utah/New Mexico/Texas and work for Southwest Airlines for a little while, talk to a few flight attendants who have had 3 or 4 divorces before their 35th birthday and get back to me, okay?

So, there have been flight attendants who have had sham (hetero) marriages to get the airline flight benefit? Is this an indictment against hetero marriage? Does this mean that airline employees should not get the benefit? Does this mean that all marriage should be made illegal?

Of course not. You've got to be pulling my leg. No one, not even you, can be this daft.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:30 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:
All you are saying is that anyone who doesn't think like YOU is bad.
Cite where I said this or retract your statement.
This...
AlabamAlum wrote:Gays are living together, and have been, as significant others for a loooong time. Allowing them a marriage certificate has become a Chicken Little moment for many right-wingers. The argument that you can't allow something that would cause the extinction of humans (if everyone did it) is beyond silly, but the argument that only allowing these unions between fertile heterosexuals to fulfill a biological imperative is even sillier.
...is insulting. You are insulting me personally just because I stick my hand in the air and say "Wait a minute, what are we doing here?" You are de-legitimizing my argument without even taking the time to listen to it.

I said (and still say) that if you are going to reform marriage law, understand why the law (that being, one man and one woman) was created in the first place. You telling me that I am a "Chicken Little" is not going to get you very far in the rational discussion argument. You'll notice I haven't called you anything, no insults AA. I have only told you that you should be ashamed of yourself for what you have said to me.

I want the law "vetted." Auggie and I were vetting before he ran away.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:38 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:
You don't think this happens ALL THE TIME with airline employees out West? Get the fuck out of Alabama and move out to Arizona/Nevada/California/Utah/New Mexico/Texas and work for Southwest Airlines for a little while, talk to a few flight attendants who have had 3 or 4 divorces before their 35th birthday and get back to me, okay?

So, there have been flight attendants who have had sham (hetero) marriages to get the airline flight benefit?
For their boyfriends and girlfriends, yes.
AlabamAlum wrote:Is this an indictment against hetero marriage?
It is an indictment against No Fault Divorce law. You can get a quickie divorce in Nevada in one week. It is done routinely. If this were not the law there in that state, (the same state where that 16 year old girl married that 51 year old lecherous pervert) then these marriages would not be happening.
AlabamAlum wrote:Does this mean that airline employees should not get the benefit? Does this mean that all marriage should be made illegal?
There are no airlines without the free flight benefit. None. You aren't going to find many skilled people willing to work for airline wages without that benefit. You know how much baggage handlers make? It is less than a 16 year old gets and Inn-n-Out AA. You know a first officer gets like $21,000/year the first year? You think ANYONE (with the kind of education airline employees have) would work for these compensations without the flight benefit? No chance AA.

I know of airline employees who work at airlines just so their children and their parents can fly for free, and their parents give their adult children a personal stipend just to keep them working there! That is how valuable that benefit is.

And I'm not daft. I just know about the airline industry, okay?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:40 pm

I never said that you were a bad person for tendering a a silly argument.

So, retract the statement. I never said what you said I said.
— Abraham Lincoln

Dora
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by Dora » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Airlines have been giving these spousal travel benefits forever. People in the airline industry do not have a higher divorce rate than others.
Take life with a pinch of salt, a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:50 pm

...is insulting. You are insulting me personally just because I stick my hand in the air and say "Wait a minute, what are we doing here?" You are de-legitimizing my argument without even taking the time to listen to it.
Oh, no doubt, I can be insulting. You throwing out the "shame" comments and your de rigueur Alabama comment and I will elevate my rhetoric. I know I will. As Ron White says, I've seen me do it.

Anyway, I asked you for your argument. You told me you didn't have to prove a negative (heh).

So, is your argument: "Gay marriage should be illegal because if everyone did it population rates would go to zero?" How about, "God meant for it to be between a man and a woman?" Maybe, "marriage is for procreating and gays can't procreate without assistance"?

Please circle which one you believe and I will listen - and then give my side.
Last edited by AlabamAlum on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:55 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:

So, there have been flight attendants who have had sham (hetero) marriages to get the airline flight benefit?
For their boyfriends and girlfriends, yes.
AlabamAlum wrote:Is this an indictment against hetero marriage?
It is an indictment against No Fault Divorce law. You can get a quickie divorce in Nevada in one week. It is done routinely. If this were not the law there in that state, (the same state where that 16 year old girl married that 51 year old lecherous pervert) then these marriages would not be happening.
AlabamAlum wrote:Does this mean that airline employees should not get the benefit? Does this mean that all marriage should be made illegal?
There are no airlines without the free flight benefit. None. You aren't going to find many skilled people willing to work for airline wages without that benefit. You know how much baggage handlers make? It is less than a 16 year old gets and Inn-n-Out AA. You know a first officer gets like $21,000/year the first year? You think ANYONE (with the kind of education airline employees have) would work for these compensations without the flight benefit? No chance AA.

I know of airline employees who work at airlines just so their children and their parents can fly for free, and their parents give their adult children a personal stipend just to keep them working there! That is how valuable that benefit is.

And I'm not daft. I just know about the airline industry, okay?

No fault divorce is not what we're discussing. This sidebar leaves me nonplussed. Are you suggesting that gay airline employees will now do what the hetero employyees have been doing, therefore gay marriage should be illegal?
— Abraham Lincoln

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Nearly every argument made against gay marriage was once used to support bans against interracial marriage as well. And anti-miscegenation laws only went away for good due to the Federal govt forcing it down the throats of a dozen or so states in the late 60's. Alabama still had its law on the books until the year 2000 when they officially repealed it.

When the courts overturned the bans on interracial marriage, they overturned all precedent in the court system and nearly 300 years of "tradition"

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:00 pm

And if you're going to cite the Bible as reason that gay marriage shouldn't exist then shouldn't you call for the criminalization of homosexuality itself? Why not anal sex in general? The Bible is 100% against it and considers it an abomination.

Why are we obligated, as a so-called "Christian nation", to turn certain scripture into law but can safely ignore other scripture?

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 pm

DSL,

Because when we start following the laws of Leviticus (and a few other OT books), we get onto some shakey ground. Reminds me of the "Dr. Laura" letter:
Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination … End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God’s Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness – Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I’m confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan.
— Abraham Lincoln

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:11 pm

That's letter's a classic...lol

GBJs
Senior
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by GBJs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:13 pm

It's me Karen wrote:
GBJs wrote:
It's me Karen wrote:Unless I'm missing something, I meant politically correct...
Ohhh...well that's just as bad.
You have me sooo curious as to what PC means to you.
It means politically correct to me also Karen...which is something I don't think I personally have ever been accused of. I don't dislike people because of color, or lack of color. I don't dislike people because they choose to live a "gay" lifestyle, although it's not right for me and I don't agree with it. I don't dislike people because they choose to have a mixed race marriage, although I believe a person should marry within their own race because your heritage should matter to you.

I will dislike any person who says I shouldn't voice my opinion because it hurts their feelings. I've fought for their very right to vote and speak their mind, why shouldn't I be afforded the same priviledge.

Dora wrote:Airlines have been giving these spousal travel benefits forever. People in the airline industry do not have a higher divorce rate than others.
Dora, from someone who works in the industry, are you sure you want to use the industry with some of the least satisfied users there is to base an argument on??? :lol:
Worth. Every. Cent.

Dora
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by Dora » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Dora, from someone who works in the industry, are you sure you want to use the industry with some of the least satisfied users there is to base an argument on???
Least satisfied users? I bet Verizon has fewer satisfied users.

PS my brother is a commercial pilot.
Take life with a pinch of salt, a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:34 pm

DSL,

One of my favorite OT stories comes from Second Kings. Elisha, the prophet, was chillin'
with his homies and some kids came up and called him "bald head". This pissed Elisha off so he asked God to lower the boom, and lower the boom, He did: God sent two bears in to rip 42 children to shreds.

Bald Head + God 42, Taunting Children 0.

Although, this really needs to be moved to the religion thread now.
— Abraham Lincoln

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:38 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:DSL,

One of my favorite OT stories comes from Second Kings. Elisha, the prophet, was chillin'
with his homies and some kids came up and called him "bald head". This pissed Elisha off so he asked God to lower the boom, and lower the boom, He did: God sent two bears in to rip 42 children to shreds.

A true classic.

One of my favorites is when Noah's daughters get him drunk as hell then have sex with him in order to repopulate the Earth. So we're all descendents of a drunken incestuous orgy...awesome

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:41 pm

The mass killings that Sampson commits after he gets pissed at his wedding is pretty good, too.
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:45 pm

— Abraham Lincoln

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:34 pm

If IB is not on meds, he should be.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:DSL,

A true classic.

One of my favorites is when Noah's daughters get him drunk as hell then have sex with him in order to repopulate the Earth. So we're all descendents of a drunken incestuous orgy...awesome
Yes, a true classic Strangelove.

What would be even more classic is if you named the correct man. It was not Noah. T'was Lot (an Islamic prophet.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot_(bibli ... _daughters
wiki wrote:Here was a family who at one time had everything. They had livestock, wealth from Egypt, and a large family. With the destruction of their city came huge losses: their home and all of their possessions, each of the girl’s fiancés,[Gen.19:14] and most notably the loss of a wife who was mother. Now, they are nothing but three cave dwellers.

They spent a long time in seclusion and they were aging. The oldest daughter had become concerned about preserving their family line and suggested to her younger sister that since there are no men around, they ought to take advantage of their father.[v.31,32]

Thus, the daughters got their father so drunk they were able to have intercourse with him on two consecutive nights, the oldest daughter having her way with him the first night, followed by the youngest daughter on the following night.[v.31-35] Interestingly, the text says that Lot was so drunk “he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.”[v.33,35] This text suggests a justification for an action that was not considered normal.
Noah actually brought all his children and their spouses with him to repopulate the Earth.