Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Stormaktstiden
Freshman
College Hoops Affiliation: Presbyterian
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by Stormaktstiden » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:07 pm

TAK, UNC will not be a great shooting basketball team from the perimeter, still. They'll have an achilles heel and be susceptible to zone defenses. You can only play 5 at once and IMO a lot of times depth is overrated and can create as many problems as it fixes. Watching Kentucky's 6 man rotation this year I almost started to think Rat Face has been onto something all these years. There's something to be said for having only 6-7 players in the rotation (as long as nobody gets hurt) as they seem to grow more as a team that way.
Where vice is vengeance follows.

Cats rule
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Cats rule » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

we'll go considerably deeper than 7 ourselves this year: knight, lamb, teague, liggins, miller, gilchrist, jones, davis, wiltjer will all demand minutes (well, miller will politely ask...)

Stormaktstiden
Freshman
College Hoops Affiliation: Presbyterian

Post by Stormaktstiden » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:45 pm

We'll have plenty of depth just like UNC but Kentucky will be thin upfront but loaded everywhere else. UNC still will have an unbalanced roster lacking both handle and perimeter shooting.

I don't know how anyone could think UNC will be better than Kentucky if we get Jones and Knight back? We beat what they have right now convincingly in the NCAA tournament (controlled them the whole game) plus we're adding a better recruiting class, so how in the hell would they be better if we both return everyone?

UNC still will be a suspect shooting team from the perimeter and they'll lose 4-5 games where they don't shoot the rock. Anyone can see that looking at their team.

Kentucky will improve on defense (scary thought) and be more athletic and deeper plus still shoot the shit out of it. I like our chances better in the tournament, but unless Jones comes back I think another December game is going to be too early for our youngsters to be ready for their front line. Hopefully they'll be jacking up bricks instead of feeding all those post players.
Where vice is vengeance follows.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:13 pm

The only thing Roy needs to do is open the locker room door and make sure no one gets in any off-the-court trouble.

like that will be an issue in Chapel Hill.

yes, I know hook, fish, got it.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

The Anti k*
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by The Anti k* » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:02 pm

So, Crow, do you think Knight and Jones are coming back? If so, you have a legitimate argument for who's #1. Otherwise, you're once again basing your hopes on freshmen. Granted, Calipari has proven he can squeeze 30+ wins out of a young squad. But until he cashes in all his chips at the end of the year, you've got to give Crotch his due on this.

As for the Heels, P.J. Hairston is a long range sniper...Reggie Bullock will be healthy again...Barnes is Mr. Clutch from the bonusphere...That's plenty of outside firepower to go along with the best, most experienced frontline in the country. You can criticize Roy for a lot of things (and you KNOW that I do), but he knows how to win it all when he's got talent and experience. At least he has at Carolina.

Saint
All-American
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:20 pm

here's a great video of the tornado that came thru our town

The point that it hits the houses and turns yellow with shit coming out of the top of it makes me think that's what it's going to be like for the teams on UNC's schedule next year.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Hard - might as well go ahead and say it: impossible - to imagine any stud UK freshman (or any UK player, really) saying this. It's just not why anybody chooses UK:

"“I’m here to experience college life, grow as a person, receive a quality education and be a part of the greatest basketball family in college sports,” Barnes said."
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Who would've thought one of the best tornado videos ever would've been taken by some dude sitting in a parking lot in eastern North Carolina? That's wild when the tornado hits whatever it is (house? Walgreens?) and then the debris starts flying...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:28 pm

UK #1 in yet another category...

Who has been hurt most by early entries?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... ls-1211970

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Just saw that video on CBS. Wow. Lived through a few of those myself. Looks like more bad weather tomorrow too.

O.E.
Recruit

Post by O.E. » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Carolina gon' fuck Kentucky up at Rupp.

Bluecat
Sophomore

Post by Bluecat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:10 pm

hedge wrote:Hard - might as well go ahead and say it: impossible - to imagine any stud UK freshman (or any UK player, really) saying this. It's just not why anybody chooses UK:

"“I’m here to experience college life, grow as a person, receive a quality education and be a part of the greatest basketball family in college sports,” Barnes said."

Patrick Patterson said those near exact words just two years ago, Hedge. Try again.

goldenbear
Senior

Post by goldenbear » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Kentucky barley beat UNC this year and Henson played half the game and there was no Bulluck. Kentucky still will only have one post player in Davis and UNC will have three.

If Knight Jones come back where do Kentucky Freshman get their minutes.

UNC will have a nice 9 man rotation Zeller, Henson, Macadoo, Barnes, Bulluck, Strickland, MacDonald, Harriston and Marshall. Along with Watts, Stillman and Simmons for added depth.

Where is Teague going to get minutes ahead of Lamb or Knight. Is Gilchrsit going to take Liggins and Miller minutes that should make them happy. Davis will fit right in along with Jones.

Wiltjer looks like he should be playing for Duke so he wont get any run at Kentucky.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Dammit! He found us.

Bluecat
Sophomore

Post by Bluecat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:32 pm

goldie, let me save you some embarrassment and remember your Sunday School lessons: People in glass houses should not throw stones.

You brag of UNC's 9-man rotation, then question where UK gets minutes for freshman when the 4 coming in (Teague, Gilchrist, Davis Wiltjer) plus 5 returning (if Jones and Knight return with Miller, Liggins, Lamb) equals a 9-man rotation for UK.

Is 9 < 9 in Tar Heel Math?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:34 pm

well it might be big talk but since the series has resumed going back to Doh, we're about even. Considering we've only played 3 times with "big stakes" on the table I don't think there is much to talk about.

You UNC boys will do what you always do. Convince yourself that the team that lost to UK with Barnes and Zeller is somehow better with..oh yea...Barnes and Zeller.

please. You're gonna lose.

Somebody is going to have to come out from under the basket to guard Wilter. Its gonna be a trainwreck for UNC.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bluecat
Sophomore

Post by Bluecat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:38 pm

e, they're gonna say anything they can to try and cover the red marks that still sting from the ass-whuppin' we put on 'em in -- how did Hedge and TAk put it? Oh yeah -- the GAME THAT MEANT EVERYTHING.

Cats rule
Sophomore

Post by Cats rule » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Bluecat wrote:e, they're gonna say anything they can to try and cover the red marks that still sting from the ass-whuppin' we put on 'em in -- how did Hedge and TAk put it? Oh yeah -- the GAME THAT MEANT EVERYTHING.
don't forget stupid

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:44 pm

all they talked about before was how their front court was going to eat us alive and then a guy that play 88 minutes total the year before dominated their ass.

Now they start saying the same shit again.

I'd give them some play if it was at the friendly confines of the Dean Dome. But this is Rupp.

They're not going to let UNC win....period
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bluecat
Sophomore

Post by Bluecat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Who you callin' stupid?