Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Boston College Eagles

Post by hedge » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:10 pm

"I can assure you that the scores you pretended to get would not have been good enough to get in during the time frame that I did."

1400 isn't good enough for BC? I didn't know it was that competitive up there...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

claver2010
Recruit
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by claver2010 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:41 pm

hedge wrote:"I can assure you that the scores you pretended to get would not have been good enough to get in during the time frame that I did."

1400 isn't good enough for BC? I didn't know it was that competitive up there...
I was including in my assumption the fact that his extra cirricular activities were working over night in a warehouse and dancing until close at gay bars. Scores alone do not guarantee placement at the Heights.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Hedge,

I don't know if 1400 combined (I was 1380 by the by) on the SATs gets you into BC in the late 1980s. Probably, but maybe not. I really needed that 800 math. The majority of the BC student body (today) are not just Honor Society hedge, but Valedictorians. Kudos to them. BC is tied with Tufts as the third hardest school in Massachusetts to get into (behind only Harvard and MIT.) BC is the second hardest Catholic Univeristy in the country to gain admission (BC = Backup College for Notre Dame students who applied ot both schools) and probably the toughest school in the ACC gain admission (just barely ahead of UVa and a bit ahead of UNC and Miami.) Unfortunately the result of these academic standards, this quality of student body does not value athletics at BC the way you might value it at UNC. The students who graduated BC more than 10 years ago (when the credentialing was not as rigorous) refer to this as BC "post-nerdification."
hedge wrote:But I see you benefited greatly from the time-honored tradition of working class families everywhere who spend much of their free time doing geometry and algebra for fun...
Apples and oranges. As you know with math, you either get it or you don't. I did get it. I didn't have to have my family members talk about the aspects of math to get it. And because I understood it, I never had to work at (until I was required to memorize things like Trig equations.) Because I wasn't used to memorizing anything, I suffered in Calculus. I could do the basic derivatives and integrals, but any advanced placement Calculus is where I ultimately struggled.

With the verbal, it is not a matter of getting it or not getting it. You need to live in a household where you are exposed (daily) to a very broad and challenging vocabulary. BC students have this. I did not. I would be surprised if (in the first 16 years of my life) if I was exposed to more than 500,000 different words. Now if I had been encouraged to read challenging novels while growing up, that vocabular would have expanded to 1,000,000 words or more and perhaps my verbal score would have been much higher. But I didn't grow up in a household that sophisitcated.
hedge wrote:I wonder how he would feel about spending time reading your posts?
What, for me understanding and seeing the world for what it truly is? I think if he were alive today, he'd be proud of me.

We are simple people Hedge. The human race is pretty simple, very straight-forward. And men and women are very different. Understanding those differences (and capitalizing on them by maximizing your advantages while minimizing your disadvantages), we in the manosphere refer to this great awakening as taking the red pill. For those of us in life who do not have much going on in our lives (such as yourself and the majority of these EO sockpuppets who have come here to do nothing than stir up trouble) that is very frightening. And why? You look at yourself and realize that you (as an individual) are about as important as that steaming pile of dogshit next to that stop sign. But for those of us who have taken the red pill and see the world for what it is (can cut through all the bullshit) the world is really a nice place. And that sense of peace, comfort, and harmony is very welcome. And for those who do NOT have that sense of peace, comfort, and harmony, the only thing they can see are people who ARE in comfort. And if you are just prideful and envious enough, you go out of your way to try and destroy those people who are truly happy. You might even waste your time searching the interwebs to see where that person currently is in a futile effort to hurt them. Because... misery likes company.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

claver2010
Recruit

Post by claver2010 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:15 pm

Hey nospace, leave me alone on BCI. If you want to have a conversation here, have a conversation here. Don't bring Salzano, Favat and the other guys into your secret clubhouse ramblings.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:25 pm

And furthermore hedge....

...sometimes posters are so bored in life, so miserable with their own existance, that they keep up a charade of nonsense pretending to be someone they are not in the hopes that they can impress 3rd parties with their silly shenanigans. This type of junior high school behavior is expected of 12 year olds who are trying to get themselves into a clique or what-have-you, not of adults who are supposed to have such a promising future. Their boredom is so prevalent, that they actually waste their time troling many different resources needlessly to gain whatever information they think they need to keep up the joke. When in reality, the joke has always been on them.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

claver2010
Recruit

Post by claver2010 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:39 pm

innocentbystander wrote:And furthermore hedge....

...sometimes posters are so bored in life, so miserable with their own existance, that they keep up a charade of nonsense pretending to be someone they are not in the hopes that they can impress 3rd parties with their silly shenanigans. This type of junior high school behavior is expected of 12 year olds who are trying to get themselves into a clique or what-have-you, not of adults who are supposed to have such a promising future. Their boredom is so prevalent, that they actually waste their time troling many different resources needlessly to gain whatever information they think they need to keep up the joke. When in reality, the joke has always been on them.
Your wife has never been on me so you are incorrect again, big guy.

tobaccoroadeagIe
Recruit
Preferred Barbecue Style: White Sauce!

Post by tobaccoroadeagIe » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:15 pm

FAMILY ATTACK!

Mr. Moneypenny
Recruit
College Hoops Affiliation: Morehead State

Post by Mr. Moneypenny » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:17 pm

IB is bonkers. I'm moving out. Goodbye, sweet prince.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:03 am

"The majority of the BC student body (today) are not just Honor Society hedge, but Valedictorians"

How many undergrads at BC? Several thousand at least. You're telling me that the valedictorians of thousands of high schools go to BC?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:06 am

"BC is tied with Tufts as the third hardest school in Massachusetts to get into"

Tied for third with Tufts. Impressive...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am

"I would be surprised if (in the first 16 years of my life) if I was exposed to more than 500,000 different words. Now if I had been encouraged to read challenging novels while growing up, that vocabular would have expanded to 1,000,000 words or more and perhaps my verbal score would have been much higher."

Lexical facts
May 29th 2013, 16:02 by R.L.G.

SEVERAL years ago we mentioned TestYourVocab.com here on the blog. Not long ago, the site reached its two millionth test result, and so the researchers have put together some data:

Most adult native test-takers range from 20,000–35,000 words
Average native test-takers of age 8 already know 10,000 words
Average native test-takers of age 4 already know 5,000 words
Adult native test-takers learn almost 1 new word a day until middle age
Adult test-taker vocabulary growth basically stops at middle age

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/ ... ulary-size

Mr. Moneypenny
Recruit
College Hoops Affiliation: Morehead State

Post by Mr. Moneypenny » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:01 am

hedge wrote:"I would be surprised if (in the first 16 years of my life) if I was exposed to more than 500,000 different words. Now if I had been encouraged to read challenging novels while growing up, that vocabular would have expanded to 1,000,000 words or more and perhaps my verbal score would have been much higher."

Lexical facts
May 29th 2013, 16:02 by R.L.G.

SEVERAL years ago we mentioned TestYourVocab.com here on the blog. Not long ago, the site reached its two millionth test result, and so the researchers have put together some data:

Most adult native test-takers range from 20,000–35,000 words
Average native test-takers of age 8 already know 10,000 words
Average native test-takers of age 4 already know 5,000 words
Adult native test-takers learn almost 1 new word a day until middle age
Adult test-taker vocabulary growth basically stops at middle age

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/ ... ulary-size
Sure, but you forgot that he took the "red pill", so multiply those numbers by 20.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

hedge wrote:"The majority of the BC student body (today) are not just Honor Society hedge, but Valedictorians"

How many undergrads at BC? Several thousand at least. You're telling me that the valedictorians of thousands of high schools go to BC?
Okay, now that I think about it a little more, I retract what I said there. I believe the student body is between 8000 and 9000. Small by ACC standards, but no most are not valedictorian.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:56 am

Damn, you really are a math wiz!

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:01 pm

hedge wrote:Damn, you really are a math wiz!
Stop gloating. I said you were right.

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by dave_rickart » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Hedge was finally right about something?
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:54 pm

dave_rickart wrote:Hedge was finally right about something?
Will wonders never cease?

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:23 pm

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=10971
Blauds wrote:Whipple, coming into Amherst for his second stint as the head coach, hopes the Minutemen get significantly better than the 1-11 record they posted a year ago.

Addazio, starting his second season at The Heights, hopes the Eagles are not significantly worse than the 7-6 record they posted a year ago.

BC should win this game because it is bigger, faster and better than the Minutemen who are in their last vestiges of transition from the FCS to the FBS level...

...For Addazio this is a directional game. He won 7 games last season, but the fire power on offense from that team is gone. BC will step onto the field on Saturday afternoon with a new starting QB, new RB, new WR and a new kicker....

...Addazio doesn’t see a quick fix for BC.

I knew it would take 3-5 years to get it back,” he said.
Its tough out there for journalism people. With blogging being free, there is not a lot of money out there if you want to be a sports writer. I mean, we could say that every single person here at the Goat Pen is a sports writer. I haven't seen a penny for any of my words (guess they aren't worth all that much.)

I know that older sports writers (particularly ones who have been terminated by their previous employers the way Blauds was with the Globe) typically have alligence to former coaches who were terminated because... well... they know how it is. In that sense, it didn't matter that Frank Spaziani was the perfect example of the Peter Principle, totally unqualfied in his role as Head Coach for BC. It shouldn't have matter that they totally sucked (particularly against schools BC usually played well against like VPI.) What is important (to old people like Blauds who need steady paychecks) is for other old men like Spaz keeping his job, the hell with the wins and losses. Spaz was terminated. So of course Blauds is going to do all he can to tear down any possible good that can come of that termination by assuming the worst for a BC team that he is HOPING will lose to teach the BC administration a nasty lesson.

After BC went 7-6 last year, the first person Blauds gave credit to was Spaz saying "...Addazio did it with Spaziani's recruits." Well duh. Addazio played one true freshman last year, Myles Willis. He wasn't going to play any others, they weren't ready. But maybe Addazio won 7 with Spaz's recruits because he was simply a much better head coach and was able to get out of them more wins that Spaz ever could? Do I see many sports writers saying that? Nope.

We don't know how good or sucky BC will be this year. I know that there are 8 Seniors on offense (including all 5 offensive linemen) so if they suck this year on offense, they are REALLY going to suck next year. Addazio is putting all his eggs in one basket with these 5th year grad students playing one year. We could call them the super-JUCOs. We'll know shortly how smart a move that was. But even if it is good (as I hope it will be) I doubt Blauds will give him credit for it.

tobaccoroadeagle
Recruit

Post by tobaccoroadeagle » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:15 pm

Hey no space. Eat a dick and stop accusing me of posting as others. I'll be glad to start posting here more often as proof if you'd like.

By the way, tell your buddies about how bc isn't a university.

tobaccoroadeagle
Recruit

Post by tobaccoroadeagle » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Reading back through this thread. Let me know where I send my application for moderator.