Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Johns Hopkins University Press (June 19, 2014)

After President Lincoln issued the final Emancipation Proclamation of January 1, 1863, Confederate slaves who could reach Union lines often made that perilous journey. A great many of the young and middle-aged among them, along with other black men in the free and border slave states, joined the Union army. These U.S. Colored Troops (USCT), as the War Department designated most black units, materially helped to win the Civil War—performing a variety of duties, fighting in some significant engagements, and proving to the Confederates that Northern manpower had practically no limits.

Soldiering for Freedom explains how Lincoln’s administration came to recognize the advantages of arming free blacks and former slaves and how doing so changed the purpose of the war. Bob Luke and John David Smith narrate and analyze how former slaves and free blacks found their way to recruiting centers and made the decision to muster in. As Union military forces recruited, trained, and equipped ex-slave and free black soldiers in the last two years of the Civil War, white civilian and military authorities often regarded the African American soldiers with contempt. They relegated the men of the USCT to second-class treatment compared to white volunteers. The authors show how the white commanders deployed the black troops, and how the courage of the African American soldiers gave hope for their full citizenship after the war.

Including twelve evocative historical engravings and photographs, this engaging and meticulously researched book provides a fresh perspective on a fascinating topic. Appropriate for history students, scholars of African American history, or military history buffs, this compelling and informative account will provide answers to many intriguing questions about the U.S. Colored Troops, Union military strategy, and race relations during and after the tumultuous Civil War.

About the Author
Bob Luke is the author of The Baltimore Elite Giants: Sport and Society in the Age of Negro League Baseball, also published by Johns Hopkins. John David Smith is the Charles H. Stone Distinguished Professor of American History at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte, and author of Black Judas: William Hannibal Thomas and "The American Negro."

http://www.amazon.com/Soldiering-Fr...0 ... 8&sr=&qid=
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:02 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Because burning to death in a Dollar General parking lot will get the racists to change their ways?
Religious folks do crazy things.

Still, pretty horrible.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:06 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Because burning to death in a Dollar General parking lot will get the racists to change their ways?
Sadly, no one noticed. I called a UMC activist pastor friend and he had no idea who the guy was.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 pm

"Blacks fighting for the Confederacy was akin to Blacks belonging to the Tea-Party today "

Yeah, it's the same thing...

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:47 pm

IB sets a merry little tune.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Nice to see The Talent is still alive and well. IIRC...

"The Ohio State Suckeyes suck more than anybody else has ever sucked a suck. We suck."
Or some such.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:05 am

Wait?

Blacks can vote?

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:44 am

Doesn't do a whole lot to help global warming, either...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:48 am

I'm glad the Union won the Civil War. Blacks immediately got full rights and respect as equals immediately, all over this wonderful country. OK, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but hey, it was a start...

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:54 am

Welcome back Talent....

I came in from the wilderness, a creature-boy deformed

Come in she said I'll give ya, shelter from the storm.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:56 am

because of personal relationships with Whites.

Talk about insulting, patronizing and condescending....

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:04 am

[youtube]P1CLPhz0DHM[/youtube]

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:46 am

This couldn't have been intentional...

[youtube]aZLUERkcFoY[/youtube]

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:38 am

AlabamAlum wrote:What medical condition keeps people from drinking milk if they are okay with you borrowing their toaster for as long as you need to?

Lack toast and tolerant.
bad diabetics who dont know their height

lack toes and tall or runt

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 am

bwhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahah...............ahem...

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Johnette's Daddy wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:No way in Hell could this movie ever be made today with dialogue like that in the politically correct environment Hollywood lives and [*]The historical accuracy of slaves fighting for the Confederacy (essentially being too ignorant to know that they are fighting against their own interests) while perhaps historically accurate, is a history that so few were "educated" to know
Blacks fighting for the Confederacy was akin to Blacks belonging to the Tea-Party today - few, far between and only involved because of personal relationships with Whites.

Some Confederate sympathizers claim that over 90,000 Blacks (freed and slave) fought for the South, but the most reliable estimate comes in at under 200 slaves and maybe twice as many free. Blacks were certainly used as forced labor (building forts, roads, cooks, etc.), but the number of armed Blacks in Confederate Gray were very miniscule, primarily because:

1 - The Confederacy banned Blacks (free and slave) from armed service until the war was almost over because of a lack of agreement on the issue, and
2 - The Union actively recruited Blacks (freed and slave) to join them. Of the +/- 200,000 Black Union soldiers, more than half were escaped slaves and
3 - Slaves fighting for the Union were considered "free" via the Emancipation Proclamation and were paid almost the same as white troops.

Famously, the ONE black regiment that the pro-Confederacy crowd points to - the 1st Louisiana Native Guards (freedmen) - all joined the Union Army en masse as soon as the Union reached New Orleans and the other Black Confederate freedmen units in LA joined the Union shortly there after.

Moreover, the treatment that the Confederacy gave Black Union prisoners would've been a huge disincentive for southern slaves/freedmen to join the Confederacy. While the treatment of White Union prisoners was deplorable, Black prisoners were either executed immediately, or (time allowing) tortured and then executed. But very few Black Union POWs lived long enough to have a meal as a prisoner.
Excellent response. My only consternation with it is comparing blacks fighting for the Confederacy as blacks being part of the Tea Party (whatever that is.) That is a bit of a reach even for you JD.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:41 pm

We need to be compassionate to the plight of these children. We shouldn't send them back to the countries where they were in great peril!

But, ummm.....don't bring them to my state, ok?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... ?hpt=hp_t2

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:45 pm

sardis wrote:We need to be compassionate to the plight of these children. We shouldn't send them back to the countries where they were in great peril!

Moron Bill Maher said (Friday night) the ONLY reason why these kids are here is because drugs are illegal.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:32 pm

sardis wrote:We need to be compassionate to the plight of these children. We shouldn't send them back to the countries where they were in great peril!

Reading the story, and merely for the sake of accuracy, it should be noted that the governor says he doesn't want those kids at a particular site...that he had other places within his state that would better accomadate the children. He didn't say "don't bring them to my state."

Personally, I think it's a mistake to let the refugees be farmed out to blue states or any other enclaves that would accept them. Because once they have entry, they'd be essentially free to roam and likely end up in a red state or God-knows-where-else in the fruited plain. Give'em lunch, pat'em on the head, and send them home with a backpack and a soccer ball. Invite them to fill out the necessary immigration forms (en triplicado, por favor) and admonish them to not come back unless they're called.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:because of personal relationships with Whites.

Talk about insulting, patronizing and condescending....
Truth is its own defense.

Your video showed 5 blacks who support the Tea Party . . . but with the Democrats carrying NINETY-THREE PERCENT of the black vote, those five are probably the only black Tea Partiers in the entire Time Zone.
[youtube]oWVpmxOMQW8[/youtube]