Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:32 pm

It sounds like what you are saying is gays shouldn't be so hung up on a simple word, but obviously, they can say the same thing about you...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:37 pm

except my word has had a common definition among cultures for thousands of years.

as to my point about dilution, someone like AA will be making the same argument down the road when someone wants to change the definition of marriage again - the latin phrase isn't specific to hetero - meaning there is no exclusion to the base definition, yet hetero marriage as a norm predates the latin creation of the word itself.

Marriage is the high school diploma, gays can get together but its going to have to be a G.E.D.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:39 pm

One man + one woman=procreation, survival of the species.(evolution) Less than that = devolution/degeneration.

Is this religion or science?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:40 pm

eCat wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:I don't agree that it dilutes the term at all. In my lexicon, the term 'marriage' simply means the ceremony that legally binds two consenting adults together. I do not see a need to limit it to only certain creeds, races, genders, or whatever. In fact, it's none of my business.

The root of the word marriage comes from the Latin 'maritatus' - which just means 'to wed' or 'to give in marriage' and did not mandate hetero. It's not like there is a big book somewhere that is full of iron-clad and immutable social definitions.

I just cant fathom the opposition with people who essentially say, "No, gay people should shack-up; no committed marriage for you!" Or "You can have a civil ceremony, but we heteros own the word marriage and you can't use it!"

why do gays need the term marriage in order to have a union with each other? is there some rule in the world that two gay people can't be devoted to each other unless they have the term married stamped on them?

Why do straight people need the term marriage in order to have a union with each other? is there some rule in the world that two straight people can't be devoted to each other unless they have the term married stamped on them?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 pm

I have no religious basis for my beliefs on this. Matter of fact I think you lose ground when you predicate it by being gods word or that a homosexual union is forbidden in the bible.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 pm

eCat wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:I don't agree that it dilutes the term at all. In my lexicon, the term 'marriage' simply means the ceremony that legally binds two consenting adults together. I do not see a need to limit it to only certain creeds, races, genders, or whatever. In fact, it's none of my business.

The root of the word marriage comes from the Latin 'maritatus' - which just means 'to wed' or 'to give in marriage' and did not mandate hetero. It's not like there is a big book somewhere that is full of iron-clad and immutable social definitions.

I just cant fathom the opposition with people who essentially say, "No, gay people should shack-up; no committed marriage for you!" Or "You can have a civil ceremony, but we heteros own the word marriage and you can't use it!"

why do gays need the term marriage in order to have a union with each other? is there some rule in the world that two gay people can't be devoted to each other unless they have the term married stamped on them?
Do you know any gay couples who are married? If so, how is their relationship any different than your married relationship. Other than the fact that it's two men or women rather than a man and a woman, every gay couple I know who is married lives exactly the same as all the other married couples I know. And, that includes raising kids.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:One man + one woman=procreation, survival of the species.(evolution) Less than that = devolution/degeneration.

Is this religion or science?

You don't need marriage to procreate, and we have always allowed non-procreating marriages.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:43 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:
eCat wrote:

Why do straight people need the term marriage in order to have a union with each other? is there some rule in the world that two straight people can't be devoted to each other unless they have the term married stamped on them?
because when a man and woman got together thousands of years ago , that's what they called it. Then they built society and laws around the concept and what the intent of it was for.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:44 pm

eCat wrote:I have no religious basis for my beliefs on this. Matter of fact I think you lose ground when you predicate it by being gods word or that a homosexual union is forbidden in the bible.

Interestingly, I don't believe Jesus spoke on homosexuality. No doubt, it was a theme in the Old Testament, but even most religious people say the O.T. Is batshit insane.
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:45 pm

Cletus wrote:
eCat wrote:

Do you know any gay couples who are married? If so, how is their relationship any different than your married relationship. Other than the fact that it's two men or women rather than a man and a woman, every gay couple I know who is married lives exactly the same as all the other married couples I know. And, that includes raising kids.
its irrelevant to my argument. I'm not against gay people in a long term relationship raising kids and acting like a couple.I'm more than happy to give them that. But its not marriage.

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:47 pm

You didn't answer my question.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:48 pm

You don't need marriage to procreate,

True, I guess that's why kids/single girls (16 and younger) having kids is so popular and good for a society.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:49 pm

eCat wrote:I don't agree that it dilutes the term at all. In my lexicon, the term 'marriage' simply means the ceremony that legally binds two consenting adults together. I do not see a need to limit it to only certain creeds, races, genders, or whatever. In fact, it's none of my business.

because when a man and woman got together thousands of years ago , that's what they called it. Then then built society and laws around the concept and what the intent of it was for.

They certainly did not call it 'marriage' thousands of years ago.
— Abraham Lincoln

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:49 pm

And, it is definitely marriage and it's absurd to think otherwise.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:You don't need marriage to procreate,

True, I guess that's why kids/single girls (16 and younger) having kids is so popular and good for a society.

Agreed. Score another positive for the gay couples.
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:51 pm

Cletus wrote:You didn't answer my question.

yes, I know 2 gay couples living together. Both are men, neither have kids. I worked with one of them and another is a friend from school. I see them regularly.

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:53 pm

eCat wrote:

yes, I know 2 gay couples living together. Both are men, neither have kids. I worked with one of them and another is a friend from school. I see them regularly.
How is their relationship any different than a man/woman childless couple? Why does the later couple get to decide to call themselves married but the former can't?

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:54 pm

"I'm not against gay people in a long term relationship raising kids and acting like a couple.I'm more than happy to give them that. But its not marriage."

Well, I guess the only thing that matters in that case is who is doing the giving. Obviously, "marriage" is now something that the government has gotten involved in (like everything else), and if they are the ones "giving" it, they're going to give it to gays. Already have. The clock isn't going to be turned back on this one...

Now as far as if certain clubs (churches) want to sanction it according to their rules, I don't know. But obviously, the state is also involved in religion (tax exempt status, etc), so they could bring pressure to bear on these clubs if they don't follow certain state rules. They still might not have to do it, but I doubt they'll want to run afoul of the government or lose any tax-exempt status they enjoy now...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:57 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:
eCat wrote:I don't agree that it dilutes the term at all. In my lexicon, the term 'marriage' simply means the ceremony that legally binds two consenting adults together. I do not see a need to limit it to only certain creeds, races, genders, or whatever. In fact, it's none of my business.

because when a man and woman got together thousands of years ago , that's what they called it. Then then built society and laws around the concept and what the intent of it was for.

They certainly did not call it 'marriage' thousands of years ago.
whats telling to me is you're so devoted to your point you can't simply admit that the common definition of marriage by society is the union between a man and a woman. If you have to fog the reality of the world we live in and have lived in for thousands of years, then I'm not sure you're on such solid ground with your argument. You're going to tell me that in some segment of society , a small % tolerates a union between the same sexes, or that the latin definition doesn't exclude homo - and that is the basis to overrule the norm in society since the beginning of society itself.

seriously, I'd rather you just call me a redneck neanderthal that beat that ridiculous drum into the ground.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Cletus wrote:
eCat wrote:

How is their relationship any different than a man/woman childless couple? Why does the later couple get to decide to call themselves married but the former can't?
their relationship may not be.

the argument if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck doesn't hold water with me.