Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Owlman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:34 pm

AlabamAlum wrote: And the idea isn't new.
Which is the point that I was making
My Dad is my hero still.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Spacer,

I'm not sure what that was about. Whether I missed your post, or am guilty of being redundant on something you said to someone else (or to me, for that matter), or even what topic you and I were discussing. Regardless, I concede the point and/or offer a heartfelt mea culpa, or both.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:27 pm

eCat wrote:the government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all
But they are and that's why homosexuals should be afforded that same right and have it recognized.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Bklyn wrote:
But they are and that's why homosexuals should be afforded that same right and have it recognized.
they can have the sames rights, they can have a union specifically designed for Homosexuals

But its not marriage
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:59 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Spacer,

I'm not sure what that was about. Whether I missed your post, or am guilty of being redundant on something you said to someone else (or to me, for that matter), or even what topic you and I were discussing. Regardless, I concede the point and/or offer a heartfelt mea culpa, or both.
I was agreeing with you.
My Dad is my hero still.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:01 pm

Oh. I didn't remember the line.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:05 pm

eCat wrote:
Bklyn wrote:
they can have the sames rights, they can have a union specifically designed for Homosexuals

But its not marriage

Nope. It's marriage. Can't have the 'separate but equal' ridiculousness. And it's happening all over, like dominoes. All 50 states will allow same- sex marriage in my lifetime.
— Abraham Lincoln

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:18 pm

Why can't they just recognize it as a "Gay Union"? Or a "Faggot Fix Up"?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:25 am

I've said all I can about it.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:14 am

"so now you're going to tell me that homosexuals were demanding to be married in 1800's, the 1700's, 1600's? going all the way back to Sumaria?"

Not like the women folk were treated with any respect and had rights back in those days. They were for making babies, raising the babies, cooking dinner, and shutting the hell up.

And as far as government not being involved in marriages, well someone needs to regulate it in a law type sense. If you have ZERO influence from it from a law perspective, you would have women married to cats, men married to children, and any other number of combos of people, animals, and blow up dolls.

The biggest issue is the word marriage. Take it out and call ALL marriages, civil unions, gay or straight.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:17 am

" They were for making babies, raising the babies, cooking dinner, and shutting the hell up."

otherwise known as the Good ole days

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:37 am

"I have no problem with homosexuals having a union similar to marriage that addresses the needs they have for legal, insurance, etc, but it should not be called marriage.

Its important to make that distinction."

Why is that important? To me, that's not important at all, and I can't really understand why someone would think it is. I guess people who are against it can say it offends them, in the same way using racial slurs is offensive, but to me, that's not the same thing at all...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:13 am

hedge wrote:"I have no problem with homosexuals having a union similar to marriage that addresses the needs they have for legal, insurance, etc, but it should not be called marriage.

Its important to make that distinction."

Why is that important? To me, that's not important at all, and I can't really understand why someone would think it is. I guess people who are against it can say it offends them, in the same way using racial slurs is offensive, but to me, that's not the same thing at all...
because it dilutes the term. People are equating rights, which I have no problem with, to the term marriage, but down the road we may yet again , have another definition change of what marriage is.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:22 am

If diluting the term is your objection, I would think you'd have a much bigger problem with divorce than with gay marriage...

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:32 am

From a legal perspective, animals, children and inanimate objects are not afforded the exact same rights as adult citizens. So, I don't know if BRM's thought of weird types of "-gamy" will come into play.

However, with Corporations now being afford speech protection, you may be on to something.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:38 am

hedge wrote:If diluting the term is your objection, I would think you'd have a much bigger problem with divorce than with gay marriage...
divorce doesn't redefine marriage though

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:47 am

I think you'd get some heavy disagreement on that statement from the catholic authorities. At every wedding I've been to, they say "til death do us part." If that sacred vow is one of the bedrock principles that apply to the bond into which you are entering, you can't tell me that divorce doesn't change the meaning of it at its very core...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:48 am

Divorce redefines marriage far more than gay people getting married does...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:56 am

I don't agree that it dilutes the term at all. In my lexicon, the term 'marriage' simply means the ceremony that legally binds two consenting adults together. I do not see a need to limit it to only certain creeds, races, genders, or whatever. In fact, it's none of my business.

The root of the word marriage comes from the Latin 'maritatus' - which just means 'to wed' or 'to give in marriage' and did not mandate hetero. It's not like there is a big book somewhere that is full of iron-clad and immutable social definitions.

I just cant fathom the opposition with people who essentially say, "No, gay people should shack-up; no committed marriage for you!" Or "You can have a civil ceremony, but we heteros own the word marriage and you can't use it!"
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:27 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:I don't agree that it dilutes the term at all. In my lexicon, the term 'marriage' simply means the ceremony that legally binds two consenting adults together. I do not see a need to limit it to only certain creeds, races, genders, or whatever. In fact, it's none of my business.

The root of the word marriage comes from the Latin 'maritatus' - which just means 'to wed' or 'to give in marriage' and did not mandate hetero. It's not like there is a big book somewhere that is full of iron-clad and immutable social definitions.

I just cant fathom the opposition with people who essentially say, "No, gay people should shack-up; no committed marriage for you!" Or "You can have a civil ceremony, but we heteros own the word marriage and you can't use it!"

why do gays need the term marriage in order to have a union with each other? is there some rule in the world that two gay people can't be devoted to each other unless they have the term married stamped on them?