Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:00 pm

So, I learned IB's real name . . .

Bill Weisenberger, an elected Mississippi judge, slapped a young mentally challenged man who was attempting help a flea market vendor unload her vehicle. Then when the young man became frightened and fled, Weisenberger yelled, “Run, n*****, run!” after him.

Those are the accusations from the parents of the victim, Eric Rivers, 20, as well as from a witness, Cathy Hendrix, a vendor at the Canton Flea Market when, on May 8, Weisenberger was working a second job as a security guard.

While Weisenberger has not issued any public statement on the incident, the local NAACP branch president, who is also a former mayor of Canton, says that Weisenberger should step down from his position as a judge and the assault should be investigated as a hate crime.

“For what other reason would you choose an African American and strike him, and kick him and say ‘run n***** run,’” asked William Truly. “This is 2014, not 1960.”

Vendors at the flea market frequently hire local workers to help unload their merchandise for a fee. Hendrix says that Rivers told her that he was trying to earn money to purchase a bicycle.

“I do not care if this young man was being a nuisance,” said Hendrix who like Bill Weisenberger is white. “I do not care if he were breaking a law, I do not care if he were loitering, but I do care that a man of authority, one that is sworn to protect and serve, was slapping a young man.”

Hendrix’s sister Tammy Westbrook told the Clarion-Ledger newspaper that she saw Weisenberger “rear back and slap” Rivers two times. Other witnesses said they saw Weisenberger place his hand on his holstered sidearm as he yelled the racial epithet at the fleeing Rivers.

“He’s a gentle soul, and because he was mentally challenged, he was a child that was simply looking for work. He didn’t want to harm anybody and didn’t think anybody would harm him,” Vickie McNeill, a friend of Rivers’ family, told a TV news station. “He’s frightened by the whole experience.”

Hendrix also said she saw Bill Weisenberger later accost a female vendor, telling her he was going to force her to park far away from the area where she needed to unload her merchandise. According to Hendrix, when the woman told him to “change his tone,” Bill Weisenberger told her that he would not let a woman give him orders and demanded to speak to her husband.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1267583/judge- ... wy4qcDZ.99

This is why black people are still so sensitive in "post racial" America.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:19 am

Pshaw, JD. Just any PNNer and he'll tell you that it's white males who REALLY have it tough nowadays.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Wait a damn minute...before we start making some sweeping generalization over the actions of an asshole white judge being an battering, racist, misogynistic, anti-special needs idiot at a flea market (lol, BTW), I'm not through with my Faulkner screed.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:23 pm

I love common sense being in quotation marks. Also, he attended HS for 10 years before graduating from some other place?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:27 pm

So, his youngest son died in the line-of-duty working for a fire department? Whatcha warn to bet he's an alcoholic?
— Abraham Lincoln

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:36 pm

DSL reminds us with every post that just because you are white, with all it's privileges, doesn't necessarily mean you will succeed.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:40 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:So, his youngest son died in the line-of-duty working for a fire department? Whatcha warn to bet he's an alcoholic?
Sorry that his son was killed in the line. Lost in all of this is:

Those are the accusations from the parents of the victim, Eric Rivers, 20, as well as from a witness, Cathy Hendrix, a vendor at the Canton Flea Market when, on May 8, Weisenberger was working a second job as a security guard

What the hell do they pay judges in Mississippi? He's working a 2nd job as a security guard at a flea market? WalMart wasn't hiring?
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Every question asked in the posts on this page could be answered with a simple "Its Mississippi."
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:21 pm

Carry on with your anti-Faulkner crusade, AA. I want to talk about GWTW some more too.

Revising my opinion a bit. It's a decent enough movie if you only watch the first half. The second Act is where the interminable love triangle is thrust to center stage. When I watch Leigh and Howard interact, I really don't see much chemistry. I've read that the two feuded on set quite a bit (Leigh was later diagnosed bipolar and was notoriously difficult to work with). So maybe that comes across in their scenes together for me. At any rate nothing in the actual films makes me believe that Scarlett would pine away for 20 years over this guy. And then on Melanie's deathbed it's a sudden revelation to Scarlet that Ashley actually loves Melanie. Scarlett's been pursuing this guy relentlessly for 20 years screen time and 220 minutes of actual time and in a scene that barely lasts a minute she has a sudden revelation that she doesn't really love Ashley but has loved Rhett all along. So to sum up:

1) The love triangle plotline, which is the real essence of the story, is far less interesting to me than the Civil War backdrop which vanishes for the last 90 minutes of the film.

2) The love triangle is mostly on a level with dimestore trash romance novels. Newer editions of the book should have Fabio in the role of Ashley Wilkes on the cover. I don't buy how Scarlett chases Ashley for that long; I don't buy how Rhett pursues Scarlett for that long; and I don't buy how angelic Melanie is. And I don't buy how it's all resolved at the end.

3) The historical revisionism, inaccuracies, and glamorization of the 'Old South' make the movie seem very dated to me. All the characters mope around saying things like "what a pity the grandest civilization ever has gone away...with the wind". Uh-huh. While I'm sure many people of the time really did think that way (heck, some still do) the film, and probably the book, presents this as the correct way of thinking.

There's nothing in the movie that's on par with Birth of a Nation but slaves are inevitably presented as happy and content with life until they are exposed to 'dangerous ideas'. The "good blacks" are the ones who stay with Scarlett no matter how much she mistreats them. They know they'd be helpless on their own. The "bad blacks" accept their freedom and become degenerates. There's not a single positive Yankee character; every one that's present is corrupt, a carpetbagger, or a rapist. The term "white trash" is used a number of times and the only "white trash" character marries a Yankee and both are treated with contempt. So the story basically presents the perspective of the aristocratic south and no one else; blacks, northerners, and poor southern whites are almost universally portrayed negatively. On a related note, Scarlett's second husband Frank Kennedy is killed in the film while raiding a shanty town full of freed slaves and displaced poor whites. His alibi is that he's attending a 'political meeting'. In the book, he, Rhett, and Ashley all join the Ku Klux Klan.

Anyways, one could write a book on race in this movie. But here's an older article from the Atlantic. Some interesting things

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/is ... 12leff.htm

Aside from race there's a scene where Rhett basically rapes Scarlett. Okay, fine. I don't object to that being in a movie. But the next morning she is positively glowing with a smile of total contentment on her face. Rhett apologizes for his 'conduct' but Scarlett pretty much waves it off and the whimsical music the morning after tells us we're supposed to have found the whole incident rather amusing. I'm not sure what the exact motive of the filmmakers was here, but it comes off creepy to me by today's standards. I won't condemn a movie for being 'bad' because it has morals I disagree with, but I will find it dated.

4) Visually the film looks great. But again, all the really impressive scenes are in the First Act. The pull-away shot as Scarlet crosses a field full of wounded and dying soldiers is great. All of the great shots done in silhouette in front of Tara. The burning of Atlanta is pretty well done even by today' standards. Scarlett going into the room alone with her dead mother. Just while sitting her thinking about it I realize that the only scenes that really stand out in the Second Act all take place on the staircase in the Butlers' home: Scarlett falling down them and having a miscarriage, Mammy tearfully explaining to Melanie how Rhett's gone insane, and Scarlett chasing after Rhett at the end.

Anyways, it is a decent enough period picture, but doesn't merit being called one of the Top 5 greatest films ever. If you're wondering what a modern-day remake might look like, they already did that. It was called Pearl Harbor and was directed by Michael-fucking-Bay

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:45 am

I remember this popular (#1 rated many weeks) TV show in the late 70s where a single guy lived w/two hot chicks (one was Suzanne Somers) and never porked either one of them. One is to believe the 70s were all June and Ward Cleaver. Talk about white trash, revisionist history, jeez!
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:31 am

AA cites a critic in support of his opinion of GWTW? Interesting...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:33 am

"One may hold a different opinion on these topics, but some ridiculous appeal to authority over what some unnamed movie critic thinks about GWTW is unlikely to move me. "

In fairness, AA did at least name the critic in his "ridiculous appeal to authority"...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:39 am

"The love triangle is mostly on a level with dimestore trash romance novels."

I'm hard-pressed to think of a love triangle that isn't mostly on that same level. How is the love triangle in Casablanca any different? B/c Ingrid Bergman was sacrificing her love for Bogart to something "higher" (war effort)? Give me a break. Love triangles are essentially ridiculous. Hell, romantic love in any form is essentially ridiculous. But it's all we've got. Well, that and it's flip side, i.e., hatred, murder and war. I don't fault anyone for being more interested in the latter, but that's no reason to fault a love story for being essentially ridiculous...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:09 am

"Aside from race there's a scene where Rhett basically rapes Scarlett. Okay, fine. I don't object to that being in a movie. But the next morning she is positively glowing with a smile of total contentment on her face."

I saw a documentary on Vivian Leigh, they all but said she was a nymphomaniac. Evidently slept with tons of men. Of course, that has nothing to do with the scene you mention (which is one of my favorites - showing that what Scartlett really needed was just a good grudge fucking. And it worked...), but I did find if kinda interesting. I guess I am confused as to what you find to be a "realistic" rendering of romantic love. Obviously, it can't be anything that appeals to the prurient interest of the audience, which clearly upsets your chaste sensibilities. Ozzy and Harriett? The Brady Bunch? I suspect you're a big fan of Jennifer Anniston movies...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:13 am

Toemeesleather wrote:I remember this popular (#1 rated many weeks) TV show in the late 70s where a single guy lived w/two hot chicks (one was Suzanne Somers) and never porked either one of them. One is to believe the 70s were all June and Ward Cleaver. Talk about white trash, revisionist history, jeez!
[youtube]EMVj-_zVkL8[/youtube]

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:26 am

Just read the GWTW review that AA linked. Evidently, Kauffmann ("the best movie reviewer of all time", per AA) didn't think much of The Godfather, either. In fact, it appears he finds GWTW and The Godfather to be quite similar in many ways. Interesting...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:06 am

hedge wrote:AA cites a critic in support of his opinion of GWTW? Interesting...

Exactly. Are you swayed by what he wrote? No, of course not, nor should you be. Think about it and you may realize my point.
— Abraham Lincoln

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:31 am

I've never held the view that you seem to be attributing to me. I didn't cite the view of most critics as a reason DSL (or anybody) should change his mind about GWTW (or anything else), I merely noted that most of them disagreed with him. I went on to note that I admired his "swimming against the tide of popular opinion" stance, although I disagreed with it in this case. I love an iconoclastic view, as long as it is supported with something less vapid than "this is dimestore romance stuff." Give me something to think about, and I will. But if you're just going to throw out banalities as arguments, I'm not swayed. Or even worse, stuff like "they glossed over slavery and rape, and those things are bad, so therefor the movie is bad." Sorry, no sale...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:47 am

Don't backtrack now. It's unseemly.
— Abraham Lincoln

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:56 am

No fair-minded reader of these forums would ever mistake me for a champion of the status quo...