Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Toemeesleather
Senior

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:42 am

Will nails it....

Adolescents also try to truncate arguments by saying that nothing remains of any arguments against their arguments. Regarding the ACA, Obama said the debate is “settled” and “over.” Progressives also say the debate about catastrophic consequences of man-made climate change is “over,” so everyone should pipe down. And they say the debates about the efficacy of universal preschool, and the cost-benefit balance of a minimum-wage increase, are over. Declaring an argument over is so much more restful than engaging with evidence.

A third rhetorical move by argumentative adolescents is to declare that there is nothing to argue about because everything is going along swimmingly. Seven times Obama asserted that the ACA is “working.” That is, however, uninformative because it is ambiguous. The ethanol program is “working” in the sense that it is being implemented as its misguided architects intended. Nevertheless, the program is a substantial net subtraction from the nation’s well-being. The same can be said of sugar import quotas, or agriculture subsidies generally, or many hundreds of other government programs that are, unfortunately, “working.”

Finally, the real discussion-stopper for the righteous — and there is no righteousness like an adolescent’s — is an assertion that has always been an Obama specialty. It is that there cannot be honorable and intelligent disagreement with him. So last week, less than two minutes after saying that the argument about the ACA “isn’t about me,” Obama said some important opposition to the ACA is about him, citing “states that have chosen not to expand Medicaid for no other reason than political spite.”

This, he said, must be spiteful because expanding Medicaid involves “zero cost to these states.” Well. The federal government does pay the full cost of expansion — for three years. After that, however, states will pay up to 10 percent of the expansion’s costs, which itself will be a large sum. And the 10 percent figure has not been graven on stone by the finger of God. It can be enlarged whenever Congress wants, as surely it will, to enable more federal spending by imposing more burdens on the states. Yet Obama, who aspired to tutor Washington about civility, is incapable of crediting opponents with other than base motives.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:45 am

bluetick wrote:lol GOP Bundy-backers can't lace up their track shoes fast enough to get away from the guy. Not to mention the Hannitys and Becks and the whole rad-right posse.

A gun-toting anti-government right-wing old coot and it turns out he's a all-out racist. Who would've seen that coming?

Yes, let's get back to more civil, progressive debate a la Harry Reid and call him a domestic terrorist.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:57 am

So far in 2014, the United States has experienced fewer tornadoes than in any year since record-keeping began in 1953, or even before. Greg Carbin, a meteorologist with the Storm Prediction Center of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, has called this "likely the slowest start to tornado activity in any year in modern record, and possibly nearly a century."

Domestic oil production at all time high, tornadoes, all time low. I think I see a trend. Where's my gubment research grant?

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:43 am

A decrease in the number of tornadoes and hurricanes is a proof of man-made climate change.
Next year, if there is a big increase in the number of tornadoes and hurricanes, that will be a proof of man-made climate change.

Because it was one of the most bitterly cold and snowy winters on record this year, that is proof of man-made climate change.
Next winter, if it is a mild winter, that will be proof of man-made climate change.

If it is an unusually wet spring, that will be a proof of man-made climate change.
If it is an unusually dry spring, that will be a proof of man-made climate change.

What a a scam.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:39 am

But I still want my $$$$$, I DID the research.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Gnobblers:

Pls let us know how many MSM stations lead w/this story tonight/tomorrow.

'This thing is working," President Obama instructed the other day, and liberals got the message to ignore ObamaCare's ongoing dysfunctions. The reality is different, especially in states like Oregon, which pulled the plug on its insurance exchange on Thursday.

Democratic Governor John Kitzhaber promised to lead the nation on ObamaCare and he did—from behind. The worst-in-America launch collapsed even harder than Healthcare.gov. The exchange website known as Cover Oregon still hasn't enrolled one person, and the state has spent about $7 million signing up merely 69,000 people manually using paper applications.

An internal audit ordered by Mr. Kitzhaber concludes that Cover Oregon's architects were doomed by multi-agency bureaucratic confusion with no quality control or accountability for results. Investigators at the KATU news station uncovered evidence suggesting that Cover Oregon officials created a fake website to create the illusion of progress for the feds, who made ObamaCare grants that totalled $303 million.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:21 pm

According to several MSM sources, apparently Oregon can't run their healthcare exchange properly so they've handed their operation over to healthcare.gov. That makes 35 states using healthcare.gov...some can cut it, some obviously can't, and some choose not to try.

Seems like Hacksaw hailed form Oregon....too bad he's not around to give some insight into why they had to going running to the feds to get themselves out of a jam.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:30 pm

The Bogus Claim that Obamacare has Boosted the Number of Uninsured, by the Fact Checker

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fac ... uninsured/
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Who fucking cares? Good lord. Get a fucking life. Youre vote doesn't really count. Deal with it & move on already.Stop acting like you are a rape victim.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Insensitive...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:16 pm

Speaking of insensitive, it's becoming more and more clear why JD is so critical of Christy.

It's obviously because of Christy's weight. If you read JD's posts, the code words about Christy's heft are everywhere.

It's tragic that in 2014, weight-ism still rears its ugly head.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:37 pm

At least we've been consistent about it in here and the goat pen...

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Quote of the week about Ukraine:

"Don't send a college professor to negotiate with the Hell's Angels."

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:Speaking of insensitive, it's becoming more and more clear why JD is so critical of Christy.

It's obviously because of Christy's weight. If you read JD's posts, the code words about Christy's heft are everywhere.

It's tragic that in 2014, weight-ism still rears its ugly head.
"New Jersey Chris Christie is still digging himself out of this scandal Bridgegate. In fact, some experts are now saying he could be impeached. When he heard that Christie said, 'Mmmm, peach." –Jimmy Fallon

"People investigating the Chris Christie bridge scandal say the governor could be removed from office. Critics say moving Christie from office would involve a three-ton construction crane." –Conan O'Brien

"People are saying Governor Chris Christie is not fit for office. So they'll have to widen the door again." –David Letterman

"Governor Chris Christie is in trouble because his staff shut down part of the George Washington Bridge to get back at a political rival. Yesterday, Christie gave a 107-minute press conference to address the scandal. The last time Christie talked for 107 minutes, he was ordering at IHOP." –Jimmy Fallon

“People are saying because he let his aides close down the George Washington Bridge, Christie could be unfit for office. And I said, hell, the guy could be unfit for his pants.” –David Letterman

“Chris Christie is dealing with a scandal after it was revealed that a top aide shut down access to the George Washington Bridge to get back at a Democratic mayor for not endorsing him. Christie was furious when they blocked the bridge because he thought they said they were blocking the fridge.” –Jimmy Fallon

“Apparently somebody in Governor Christie’s office was involved in that traffic lane closure at the George Washington Bridge that clogged up a major artery and caused a huge traffic jam. But Christie is denying any personal involvement. He said he was too busy clogging his own artery at the time.” –Jay Leno

"Chris Christie won by such a wide margin that pundits say this will give him the impetus he needs to run for president. And he's got a new slogan: 'Put the oval in the Oval Office.'" –Jay Leno

"Chris Christie won a second term as New Jersey governor last night. We like him. He's a good guy. Christie said he couldn't have done it without his biggest supporter – and then his belt said, 'Happy to help, man.'" –Jimmy Fallon

"Chris Christie won a second term as New Jersey governor. And in honor of his big win, I promise no more fat jokes about him tonight. But seriously, the margin of victory was so big, even he could walk through it." –Jimmy Fallon

"Trusting the government to monitor your calls without listening – it's kind of like trusting Chris Christie to pick up the McDonalds and not eat the fries on the way home." –Bill Maher

"A new study just came out. It found that KFC sells 25 pieces of fried chicken a second. Yes. It was 50 pieces a second, but then Chris Christie had his stomach stapled." –Conan O'Brien

"At Starbucks you can now pick up something called a duffin. A duffin is a combination of a doughnut and a muffin. I have an idea for Starbucks: cheap coffee – 'Choffee.' Governor Chris Christie said: 'Big deal, call me when Starbucks is combining cake and pie.'" –David Letterman

"Tea party Senator Ted Cruz gave a 21-hour speech on the floor of the Senate. During his protest, Cruz actually read from the book 'Green Eggs and Ham' by Dr. Seuss. Democrats were like, 'When will this end?' But then Chris Christie said, 'When do we get those eggs and ham?'" –Jimmy Fallon

"New Jersey Governor Chris Christie revealed that he underwent a surgery that restricts the amount of food he can consume. As a result, 12 animals have been removed from the endangered species list." –Conan O'Brien

"Chris Christie revealed a couple months ago that he had lap band surgery. They're speculating that he did this because they're thinking he's going to run for president in 2016, and he couldn't unless he lost a lot of weight, and this procedure accomplishes that because it surgically pinches off your stomach so you just can't eat. Because that’s what you want in a president, someone with absolutely no will power, someone who says ‘I can literally not contain myself.’" –Bill Maher

"There's a big fight in the Republican Party between Chris Christie and Rand Paul. In an effort to end the spat, Paul offered to have a beer with Christie. But Christie refused. Christie said, 'It's going to take a lot more than a beer to win me over. You're going to need wings, stuffed potato skins, tater tots, ribs, onion rings – I need the whole deal." –Jay Leno

"New Rule: Stop believing Chris Christie when he says he got lap band surgery for his family. He did it because he wants to be president in 2016, and being that obese is kind of a scandal in itself. He did it because there are skeletons in his closet. Of cows." –Bill Maher

"New Jersey Governor Chris Christie says he's still adjusting after his surgery to reduce how much he can eat. He said, 'I now have six free hours a day I don't know what to do with.'" –Conan O'Brien

"This week, Oscar Mayer introduced a new hot dog with bacon cooked right into it. Or as Chris Christie put it, 'Is it possible to reverse that lap-band procedure?'" –Jimmy Fallon

"A new poll shows that 64 percent of New Jersey residents don't care about New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's weight. That's mostly because Chris Christie IS 64 percent of New Jersey." –Conan O'Brien

"New Jersey Governor Chris Christie says he hired a personal trainer. The trainer makes him do two laps around the Cinnabon before going in." –Conan O'Brien

"New Jersey Democrats say Republican Governor Chris Christie will be impossible to beat. It's unclear if they're talking about the 2013 governor's race or Coney Island hot dog-eating contest." –Conan O'Brien

"Today New Jersey Governor Chris Christie visited the White House. President Obama told him, 'I'd invite you to lunch but the deficit is already too high.'" –Conan O'Brien

"The Rockefeller Center's Christmas tree is being put in place this afternoon. They bring it in and hoist it with a crane and steel cables. It's the same way they get Chris Christie into his pants." --David Letterman

"Even Chris Christie looked pretty good, and I loved it that Obama was with him all weekend. And it really helped Obama because Obama said he learned something in college: Nothing takes your mind off hard times like relaxing with a fatty." –Bill Maher

"It looks like the Republicans are going back to the strategy of 2008 where Obama is characterized as a celebrity. Says the party who is gay for Ronald Reagan. Come on, you can't worship Ronald Reagan and then attack Obama for being a celebrity. That's like running Chris Christie and saying Obama has a fat ass." –Bill Maher

"In the last year, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie’s approval rating has gone up 12 points. That's impressive. Usually, the only time he picks up a dozen is when he goes to Krispy Kreme." –Jimmy Fallon

"Last night Newark Mayor Cory Booker rescued a woman trapped inside a burning house. Not to be outdone, Governor Chris Christie rescued a Tostito that fell in his artichoke dip." –Jimmy Fallon

“Opening in New Jersey tomorrow is the circus. They put up the big tent, although this year it’s Governor Christie’s pants.” –David Letterman

"New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is going to Israel. He's going to be pretty disappointed when he finds out the Gaza Strip isn't a steak." –Jimmy Fallon

"Chris Christie has officially endorsed Mitt Romney for president. Christie said President Obama is 'shrinking the American pie.' And believe me, if there's one thing Christie hates, it's a small pie." –Jay Leno

"Today New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie announced that he's endorsing Mitt Romney for president. It's good news for Romney. I mean, you always want Chris Christie on your side. Unless you're in a canoe." –Jimmy Fallon

"And Chris Christie isn't running. This guy had a lot of followers. Most of then were ivory poachers, but still …" –David Letterman
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:40 pm

In giving conservatives their due when it is deserved, here is an Op-Ed from the Weekly Standard that came out before Bundy's racist rants became publicly known. They were warning conservatives not to to turn this guy into a hero when he was still very popular.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/ ... 87040.html

Twenty years ago, the federal government, which owns the land on which Bundy grazes his 900 cattle, decided to impose a grazing fee. Bundy opposes that fee, has consistently refused to pay it, and the federal Bureau of Land Management now claims that he owes $1 million in unpaid fees. Bundy has challenged the grazing fee in federal court—indeed, has challenged the federal government’s title to land in Nevada—and has consistently lost. Sixteen years ago, a federal judge issued a permanent injunction against Bundy, ordering the removal of his cattle. Bundy appealed that ruling to the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and lost again. Last August, a federal court gave Bundy 45 days to remove his cattle, and in October, a federal district judge ordered Bundy not to “physically interfere with any seizure or impoundment operation.”

This does not sound to The Scrapbook like the dread hand of tyranny, in Nevada or Washington, oppressing an innocent farmer, or pushing some law-abiding citizen around. It sounds, instead, like a rancher gaming the system to his own financial advantage, and disguising his scheme in populist rhetoric

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:45 pm

BTW, the grazing fees that Bundy opposes? They were created by President Ronald Reagan

TYRANNY!!!

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:48 pm

I had no idea that weight-ism was so widespread among late night comics.

Shocking.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:57 am

I liked the one about Christie going on a diet and as a result 12 animals were removed from the endangered species list...

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:06 am

Are you also a bigot against Adipose Enhanced Americans?

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:44 am

The State Department Press Secretary can't name a single accomplishment under Hillary over the past four years.

[youtube]ueRwfJcvhrc[/youtube]