Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by aTm » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Number of fouls dont tell you very much.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Cats rule
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Cats rule » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Bluecat wrote:Stu agreed with the only point I was making.

James still has time to do a lot with his career.

I don't know why the baby blue boys got their panties in a wad. I do not disparage Jordan's excellence. He is the best I've ever seen and I loved watching him play. He was the only reason I watched NBA basketball in the 90's. I merely pointed out that even his Airness had to go through some growing pains before becoming the greatest champion of our generation. And it's not out of the realm of possibility to think that LeBron is still in the midst of his maturation process.
He was largely responsible for me discontinuing my nba viewership, and i detest the bastard for the part he played in changing the nba from a sport to a travesty/pageant...

the "jordan rules" were a very real, visible thing and they made "his airness" better than he would've been had he been held to the same set of rules as the rest of the league. while that's still damn good, and would've put him in some elite company (top 10ish all time greats) it doesn't allow me (and shouldn't allow anyone) to say unequivocably: greatest ever

i won't comment on james place in the hierarchy, because i just don't watch enough nba these days to form an accurate opinion. i do know he came off looking like an ass-clown w/ the whole dissing of his hometown w/ THE DECISION and subsequent finals disappointment and attitude about same. someone mentioned jordan's heart/will, and that's something lebron ain't going to suddenly develop. I read a quote from bron=bron after game 6 of the finals where he was asked if it bothered him that so many people were glad to see him fail. his answer says all i need to know about his heart: <paraphrasing the answer> "no, because next week when i'm taking my family on vacation and doing things those people won't ever be able to afford, who'll be the loser then" he's got his. all the posturing about leaving cleveland hunting a ring was just blowing smoke up cleveland's ass. he left cleveland for a bigger market and that's it, period. he's all about the paper

Bluecat
Sophomore

Post by Bluecat » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Jordan's Bulls were swept by Boston in the first round in '86, his 2nd season. He did have his 63-point game during the sweep, but I wouldn't call a sweep "toe-to-toe". The Celtics swept the Bulls again the following year. In Jordan's 4th year ('88) the Bulls got past the first round but were beaten by the Pistons in five in the second round. In '89, they got to the Conference Finals and lost to Detroit. The same happened in '90, except the Bulls extended it to 7 games. In '91, Jordan and the Bulls broke through, won the ring and began their string of dominance. Jordan was 28.

James' Cavs didn't reach the playoffs until his 3rd year, but they did win a series with James hitting two game-winning shots and scoring over 40 points twice; they lost in the next round to the Pistons in 7 games; in his 4th year and 2nd playoff appearance, LeBron led the Cavs to the NBA Finals at age 23, scoring 48 points in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals against Detroit, including the Cavs' final 25 points. He also had disappearing acts in Games 1 and 2 (prompting the media to question his desire, sound familiar?) as the Cavs dropped the first two. The next three seasons the Cavs lost in round 2 to Boston (7 games); lost as the top seed to Orlando in the conference finals (6 games) and gakked as the top seed against Boston in the 2nd round (6 games). And then of course, there is this year's meltdown.

At the age of 26, there's not much separating the two careers. By years of service, however (8 seasons), Jordan had two rings.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:11 am

Moses Malone never fouled out a game. I think there was another more recent player (Karl Malone, maybe) who had only fouled out a handful...if that too. I don't know if that necessarily means you're protected by the refs...or your coach...or you play differently when you get to 4 fouls. Jordan played during the handcheck era too, so he probably would have fouled out more today than he would have in the 90s when the Knicks were relevant.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:42 am

Sounds like he honed his defensive skills and learned how to be effective without fouling. Mostly from his Carolina training...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:25 pm

hedge wrote:Sounds like he honed his defensive skills and learned how to be effective without fouling. Mostly from his Carolina training...

LMAO. I love you man. That was awesome.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

onion eyed gudgeon
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Arizona

The "Jordan Rules"

Post by onion eyed gudgeon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:40 pm

There were Patrick Ewing rules, too. The only move he had involved hooking his arm around a guy, shoving him aside while backing over/around him several steps for a layin. That's illegal, of course (and so is walking), but it was the only thing Ewing had so they allowed it.

In college, of course, there are rules. Then there are "Duke rules" and "UConn rules."
Last edited by onion eyed gudgeon on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:41 pm

Don't forget Ennis Whatley rules.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Cats rule
Sophomore

Post by Cats rule » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:00 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Don't forget Ennis Whatley rules.
unfortunately for ennis, i don't believe the "ennis rules" made it out of birmingham w/ him...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:09 pm

As a fan of a formerly great program that has gone to shit (no, I'm not talking about UK this time), BRM's rage at his betters (i.e., Carolina fans) is palpable...

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Hizzy III » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:48 pm

I give the Canucks in Vancouver some serious dap on their rioting acumen but I think Detroit and LA still have them beat. Folks in Dallas, apparently, are either too hot or too shocked at the Mavs winning to riot.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:59 pm

To be fair to the Vancouverites, the burning of vehicles doesn't have as good effect in daylight...

Ron Mexico
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Prairie View A&M

Post by Ron Mexico » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Hizzy III wrote:I give the Canucks in Vancouver some serious dap on their rioting acumen but I think Detroit and LA still have them beat. Folks in Dallas, apparently, are either too hot or too shocked at the Mavs winning to riot.
They had a pretty big rally across the ocean though:

[youtube]6hEzs7x5aEM[/youtube]

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:39 pm

LMAO @ Chuck

It was Wilt who never fouled out of a game.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Ron Mexico
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Prairie View A&M

Post by Ron Mexico » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Moses broke his record for consecutive games without fouling out though. The best part about Moses' fouls was that he used to do the old school "raise your hand" every single time. The only guys who do that anymore are ones who are trying to take credit for fouls to avoid having them attributed to stars, but Moses did it damn near every single time he got whistled.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Why isn't BRM whining about Wilt and Moses never fouling out? It's outrageous! Wilt was an OK player, but without the coddling of the refs, he'd be nothing. With the refs' help, he's, oh, top 50ish...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Could this be remembered as the day The Goat Pen actually died?

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 pm

I merely pointed out that even his Airness had to go through some growing pains before becoming the greatest champion of our generation.
You're younger than 48 blue?
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 pm

I merely pointed out that even his Airness had to go through some growing pains before becoming the greatest champion of our generation.
Robert Horry ha 7.
My Dad is my hero still.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:22 am

You're too hung up age re: James vs. Jordan, Blue. what's more important is number of years in the NBA.