Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:27 pm

"Oil pumped out of the ground in the US is owned by either the US or someone in the US and the oil companies pay them for it, just like Ghana or Senegal or whichever country gets cash when a US or European oil company pumps offshore in West Africa."

I meant the product after it is pumped out of the ground, much less any of the refined products made from it. The US doesn't own that. Yeah, I guess "we" technically own the deposits, and "we" may get some royalties, but I bet it's very generously skewed towards the companies that extract it. At any rate, the US doesn't own the extracted crude, much less the finished product, and therefor any talk of "oil independence" based simply on the fact that the crude comes from property that the government owns the mineral rights to is wrong. Unless the federal government took the finished product by force, they have no say on where it goes (barring some kind of sanctions with some particular country). In no sense is it "ours", certainly not in any sense that benefits the average citizen...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Thats basically what the creamery owner was telling them. Heres where it was posted on reddit, and also where the owner was shamed into apologizing on instagram.

Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:34 pm

I guess I was wrong when I said "you don't get one penny from it," but as long as there is a global market, it's definitely not like "all this oil came from the US and it's all going to be used by US citizens only, and therefor "we" have oil independence"...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:41 pm

"Of course someone doesn't want their job back."

No way. Everybody who has to stay home is massively depressed and eventually (like after a week) suicidal b/c of their isolation and existential terror of utter solitude. Or so I've heard. So I can't believe that anybody would refuse to take their job back, even at half of what they'd be making, if it would mean they didn't have to face the horror of staying home...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:48 pm

BossCat does kinda have a point when he says the government is not going to pay to you willingly be unemployed...

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:10 pm

hedge wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:35 am
Kentucky has a hundred worse issues than Coronavirus spikes.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:12 pm

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 pm

The early tests from China. LOL!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:44 pm

The rooms of AA are going to have a massive increase after this. Welcome hedge and E.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:42 pm

I'd guess the opposite. Think how many AA members are going to fall off the wagon sitting at home for months on end with nothing better to do than pick up the bottle again. At the very least there's going to be a huge uptick in tales of home-bound relapse during the break in meetings. Everybody is going to want to "share" that story, while the rest of the room nods in total tight-lipped understanding...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:43 am

Naw. Zoom meetings work well. Not the best case but well enough. Some live meetings are still around. Welcome hedge.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am

Half of those old ass drunks don't even know how to use google, much less Zoom. More victims of coronavirus, it preys on the old and the weak...

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:06 am

https://nypost.com/2020/04/21/man-dies- ... ical-ploy/

An Ohio man who dismissed the coronavirus pandemic as a “political ploy” and ripped his state’s lockdown as “bulls–t,” has died of COVID-19, according to reports. John W. McDaniel, 60, passed away last Wednesday in Columbus — exactly a month after reportedly firing off a series of angry messages about the contagion.

“Does anybody have the guts to say this COVID-19 is a political ploy? Asking for a friend. Prove me wrong,” he wrote on March 13, according to the Sun.

Two days later, McDaniel reportedly called “bulls–t” on Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine’s stay-at-home order closing bars and restaurants.

“He doesn’t have that authority. If you are paranoid about getting sick just don’t go out. It shouldn’t keep those of us from living our lives,” he wrote, according to the reports. “The madness has to stop.”

The posts have since been deleted, but were saved and shared widely on social media, including by coronavirus expert Dr. Dena Grayson.

McDaniel’s obituary confirmed that he died “with his loving family by his side from complications from Covid-19.” He was the first COVID-19 fatality in Marion County, the Marion Star said.

In sharp contrast to his reported posts, his family pleaded in his obit for “everyone to continue practicing social distancing to keep each other safe.”

McDaniel leaves behind a wife and two sons and will have a livestreamed funeral service on Wednesday. “You could not have known a more loving and loyal husband, father, son, brother, uncle, and friend,” the obit said.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:23 pm

Thats the worst kind of british tabloid story.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Yeah. Ya need a better game. Hedge join me for a meeting. I know you definitely need one.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:25 pm

daughter came down to dinner tonight

looked like hell, said she felt horrible, ached. took her temp - 102 Fuuuuuuuuuuck

she has the been the most isolated of all of us. Since we brought her back from Tuscaloosa she hasn't gone anywhere, and I mean anywhere. The only time she leaves the house is if we ask her to drive us some place - and then she sits in the car. Other than walking the dogs with us, no interaction outside whatsoever. No friends. We did curbside at Maggianos 3 days ago but the woman handed me the bags.

so if she has it, I'll be damned if I know how. Wife is contacting a doctor as I type this.

it is what it is. We've isolated her to her room and the guest bathroom. I put a dorm fridge in her room and brought up food.

hopefully we'll get good news. I guess we will self quarantine until we know. Now I have to figure out how to have groceries delivered.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:36 pm

"Hedge join me for a meeting. I know you definitely need one."

I've been too plenty. Not my cup of tea. I've aged out of opioid use anyway. I've done cocaine maybe 3 times in this century and doubt I ever will again. If somebody puts a key hit under my nose in the right situation, sure, but I don't see myself being in the right situation probably ever again. I certainly will never seek it out. I've resigned myself to the sad compromise of mild alcholism, which basically means a few glasses of wine every night and nursing a slow buzz on the weekends. It could be worse. It definitely has been worse. But this suites me alright. I could actuallly see myself getting bored with this too, though. I kinda already am. Boredom is a great motivator for me. It's the main reason I didn't like AA. But I know it works for a lot of people and I'm happy for them. My dad's been going to daily meetings (often twice a day) for over 10 years. But he's old and bored and it gives him something to do. I never thought he was an alcoholic, although he probably drank more than most alchoholics. Well, whatever. To each his own. If it's working for you that's all that matters. Thanks for the offer, though..

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Sorry to hear about your daughter, but I bet we're all going to end up getting CV. She's in a very favorable demographic to not have much of an issue even if she's got it. You, not so much...

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:54 pm

Liberal Idiot.....