Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by aTm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 am

Drunk driving and texting while driving and car accidents in general will all be eliminated naturally in a matter of decades.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:22 am

eCat wrote:The problem with all these guns control advocates is they are reactionary to an event. Its dramatic, traumatic and a bunch of other atic's when a nutjob shoots up a school and kills children
Yes, nobody gives a fuck if some minority kid kills one or two other minority kids. They probably deserved it and were criminals, even if that happens a thousand times. But some nut kills 15, suddenly everybody's little princess is in danger and we have to take extreme measures to fix it, even though there are already ways it should have been stopped 10 times over.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:31 am

aTm wrote:School shootings are almost a non-factor in the grand scheme of things called "the real world,"
Definitely a non-factor for me because I don't have occasion to go into schools anymore.

Still, it's not good P.R. for the greatest nation on earth to keep having these massacres on a regular basis. We spend billions on law enforcement and trillions on the military yet our citizens are mowed down with regularity and it gets spilled all over the national and world news and it just looks bad. Bad...not good. Foreigners will visit and their literature will probably suggest they avoid crowds, and always be aware of surroundings and exits etc. Nobody should want that. We'd rather be known for Disneyworld or the Kardashians instead of piles of newly-dead victims of thrill-killers.

So to say these school shootings are a non-factor - while statistically correct - doesn't take into account what could be a serious and growing image problem.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:46 am

not good P.R. for the greatest nation on earth to keep having these massacres on a regular basis.

Then get serus about Chicago.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:47 am

NRATV Host Claims Parkland Shooting is Like Benghazi: ‘This is What Liberal Leadership Gets You’
by Caleb Ecarma | 5:05 pm, February 27th, 2018

“You know, I can’t help but draw comparisons to Benghazi. Now that was a terrorist attack, you could make the argument that this guy was a terrorist in what he rained down on that school. You had so many warnings, Kris, you and the men that you fought with over there warned about Benghazi over and over again that there were threats and there were security flaws and issues there. Now we see that there were warnings over and over again. We as Americans, I’m sad to say, we’re not learning lessons from other events and we could have learned – whether it was Benghazi or any other school shooting, this school wasn’t ready and they should have been.”

garsh

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:02 pm

bluetick wrote:
aTm wrote:School shootings are almost a non-factor in the grand scheme of things called "the real world,"
Definitely a non-factor for me because I don't have occasion to go into schools anymore.

Still, it's not good P.R. for the greatest nation on earth to keep having these massacres on a regular basis. We spend billions on law enforcement and trillions on the military yet our citizens are mowed down with regularity and it gets spilled all over the national and world news and it just looks bad. Bad...not good. Foreigners will visit and their literature will probably suggest they avoid crowds, and always be aware of surroundings and exits etc. Nobody should want that. We'd rather be known for Disneyworld or the Kardashians instead of piles of newly-dead victims of thrill-killers.

So to say these school shootings are a non-factor - while statistically correct - doesn't take into account what could be a serious and growing image problem.
At least you admit its PR (ie meaningless politics). You see them go around and parade some kid on TV, and all discussion is about the NRA and assault rifles, and AR-15s. Its all bullshit. The gun problem we have in this country is criminals with handguns. And the school shootings, the workplace shootings, the high profile events...even those have been happening since I have been alive even without "assualt rifles." Handguns seem to be just as good, so why? Its because its a red vs blue political issue. Yeah blue wants to end gun violence, but their enemy is red. And red is primarily the hunting, recreational, I like to have cool guns crowd. So the battlegorund has nothing to fucking to do with reality, and only with the ego of the fanbases of team blue and team red.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:29 pm

aTm wrote:Drunk driving and texting while driving and car accidents in general will all be eliminated naturally in a matter of decades.
I hope you'll be naturally eliminated much sooner than that...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Yeah, the main problem is criminals with guns. Or about-to-be criminals with guns. Although there are also problems with depressed people with guns, dumbasses with guns, toddlers finding guns. 40k gun deaths a year is a problem. We used to have a shit-ton of traffic deaths - low and behold, a corresponding shit-ton amount of laws and safeguards were put in place and crash deaths dropped dramatically. Nobody grabbed anybody's cars or motorcycles.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:45 pm

I think most people are tired of the NRA using the Second Amendment to protect gun manufacturers ability to flood the market with firearms, using fear tactics. I don't have a problem with AR 15s but you shouldn't be able to walk into Walmart and buy one. They won't let me buy bombs, why should you get to buy a gun like that the same as you would a dozen eggs?

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:51 pm

Saint wrote:I think most people are tired of the NRA using the Second Amendment to protect gun manufacturers ability to flood the market with firearms, using fear tactics. I don't have a problem with AR 15s but you shouldn't be able to walk into Walmart and buy one. They won't let me buy bombs, why should you get to buy a gun like that the same as you would a dozen eggs?
Dick's Sporting Goods announced today they were no longer selling assault-style weapons and large-volume clips. Heaven help'em, I guess.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Saint wrote:I think most people are tired of the NRA using the Second Amendment to protect gun manufacturers ability to flood the market with firearms, using fear tactics. I don't have a problem with AR 15s but you shouldn't be able to walk into Walmart and buy one. They won't let me buy bombs, why should you get to buy a gun like that the same as you would a dozen eggs?

but no one floods the market with anything unless there is a market willing to buy them.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:04 pm

That doesn't mean there is no need for regulation. The same could be said for drugs or slaves

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Trump has hurt the gun industry more than Obama ever hope too

AR 15 prices have dropped by at least $200 per since Trump's election and 22LR ammo is back in reasonable supply. I bought 1400 rounds for $69.

All these gun manufacturers that build machine shops to crank out AR's are going belly up now. The irony of it is lost on the gun control people.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:30 pm

The original metal-tipped Jarts were awesome and every family had 3 or 4 sets but kids were getting impaled by them so they were banned by the CPSC- everybody knows the story. Now lawn darts have these bulbous plastic heads that don't stick in the ground (or flesh). Meh..not as much fun.

Fun fact - the name Jart is a mesh of javelin and dart.

I've never fired an AR-15 before, but I spent a lot of time on the range with a M-16. Eventually the gubmint determined we were too happy with those and we were issued short-burst 4As instead. Again, not as much fun.

Motel diving boards were fun and now they're all gone.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:44 pm

That's because you could sue motels if Jr split his scalp on the diving board. You can't sue gun manufacturers though, although I don't think you should be able to sue any manufacturers if their product is not being used as intended.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Saint wrote:That's because you could sue motels if Jr split his scalp on the diving board. You can't sue gun manufacturers though, although I don't think you should be able to sue any manufacturers if their product is not being used as intended.
Philip Morris agrees with you wholeheartedly.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Wife told me yesterday they have given teachers at school keys to their classrooms. The classrooms are locked at all times. Students can leave the classroom but none can get in without someone either unlocking it or opening the door from the inside.

Our local school board is having an open meeting tonight to solicit input from the community on school safety and make recommendations.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:24 pm

bluetick wrote:
Saint wrote:That's because you could sue motels if Jr split his scalp on the diving board. You can't sue gun manufacturers though, although I don't think you should be able to sue any manufacturers if their product is not being used as intended.
Philip Morris agrees with you wholeheartedly.
That's different, don't you think? Their product was used as intended and it has caused many deaths. However, the reason that tobacco companies were sued is because they lied for decades about the effects of their product when used as intended.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Saint wrote:That's different, don't you think? Their product was used as intended and it has caused many deaths. However, the reason that tobacco companies were sued is because they lied for decades about the effects of their product when used as intended.
A brilliant strategy: agree to a capped 300 billion settlement payable in yearly increments, and go global with sales that bring in mega profits while paying down that U.S. cancer-stick nut...markets in China, Indonesia, and Eastern Europe obliterate any sales #s ever imagined in the West. All that and you can still go down to the corner and buy a pack of Marlboros.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:32 pm

Would have been a better strategy to have admitted long ago that tobacco is a noxious product. I doubt it would have stopped that many people from smoking or chewing it.