Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by aTm » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:46 pm

So whats the President been up to this weekend?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:01 pm

I'm amazed that a few thousand US troops could keep the Taliban at bay for 2 decades, but as soon as they are brought home, the entire country falls in less than a week. Seems like a pretty good use of such a small force...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:51 pm

Or our training of their soldiers sucked but everyone got rich except the soldiers.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:07 am

Tree wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:46 am How are you actually alive with information processing skills this poor? Are you even employed?
Amen. You are far more polite and respectful than me. I owe you a beer.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:42 am

Afghans with no option to leave had raced home to destroy evidence of western or government links when they realised the Taliban were arriving. Women without burqas searched for shops where they could buy them. Even hospitals were closed, with at least one desperate woman forced to give birth at home, with a doctor she begged to attend.

Americans in blue states can relate

WSJ is vicious in this article

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-afgh ... 1629054041

it starts with this line and gets angrier

President Biden’s statement on Saturday washing his hands of Afghanistan deserves to go down as one of the most shameful in history by a Commander in Chief at such a moment of American retreat.

a week ago, maybe .001% of the population knew or cared what was going on in Afghanistan. I find the whole uproar over it now more partisan than empathetic
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:28 am

Meh, nobody seemed to care when Trump left our allies the Kurds out to dry. I'm not saying this current withdrawal wasn't a fiasco, but as long as no (or very few) Americans get killed, I doubt the majority of the American public really gives a shit. And certainly will have forgotten it by September. Unless there's a major terrorist attack that can be traced back to Afghanistan. Well, whatever. I'm on record as saying I can't think of a better risk/reward scenario than having a few thousand troops with air power supporting (or cajoling, or bribing, or whatever) enough Afghani troops to keep the Taliban at bay, which seems to be what the situation was for nearly 2 decades. But many people on both sides didn't want any of our troops over there. Well, it's just like the warden said in Cool Hand Luke: This is the way he wants it.. well, he gits it...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:29 am

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:40 am

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:04 am

I doubt anyone is really upset about the end of the forever war besides either fanatics or defense contractors. What is undeniable is the level of incompetence this was handled with, whether that be just the errors in planning, the timing of both the President and WH press secretary being MIA, and even just the response in general. Like they're just going to ignore this.

I mean I guess there's the idea that like the whole country would fall in one week was "inevitable" but that's certainly not what they've been claiming for months. #TeamBlue already seems to be out and about saying that "Biden followed the Trump plan and that's why all this happened!" which is hilarious too. Like Biden had to follow, "Trump's timeline." Trump didn't even follow Trump's timeline, Trump initially wanted to get out in 2020. Trump's schedule for withdrawal this year was by May 1, ie we would be withdrawing winter, when the mountain passes are all closed and the Taliban is typically not fighting. Biden moving it back to summer is basically why this is a clusterfuck with an entire city in panic trying to leave, hide, or suck Taliban dick in like a day and a half.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:06 am

heh

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:29 am

DooKSucks wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:07 am
Tree wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:46 am How are you actually alive with information processing skills this poor? Are you even employed?
Amen. You are far more polite and respectful than me. I owe you a beer.
Let me guess DS, Tree retained you and you handled his divorce?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:48 am

F

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:20 am

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:41 am

Who gives a fuck about Afghanistan? Never should have been there. Their troops fled. Get ours out and our helpers out too. Then use all the bombs we made for the region and give them a dead taliban fireworks display on our way out. They can take it from there.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:52 am

LOL. Clarissa Ward reported on CNN that “They’re just chanting Death to America but they seem friendly at the same time.”

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:11 pm

aTm wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:52 am LOL. Clarissa Ward reported on CNN that “They’re just chanting Death to America but they seem friendly at the same time.”

the comments
N L wrote:If this wasn't such a serious issue this kind of coverage would be hilarious.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Who's gonna fly?

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:59 pm

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/08/ ... an-saigon/
Senator Ben Sasse wrote:The Taliban don’t give a rip about getting invited to the U.N.’s international cocktail party in Brussels. Bromides about the Taliban’s “role in the international community” aren’t going to call them off. The Taliban aren’t going to stop being the Taliban because Jen Psaki scolds them.

America’s retreat is a major propaganda coup for the jihadists. The Taliban will claim to be a “superpower-slayer.” The Taliban helped their allies stage the 9/11 attacks almost exactly 20 years ago, and after our retreat they’ll be able to brag about humiliating us again.

Make no mistake: The Taliban will exploit every image of American retreat. Pictures of desperate Afghans perilously crowded around the unguarded airport in Kabul are painfully reminiscent of images of Saigon — images that cemented communist victory in Vietnam and showed American weakness to the world. Jihadists are flocking to the “hallowed ground” where they have just defeated the “infidels.” Afghanistan will become a sanctuary for terrorist groups all over again.

China and Russia will look to capitalize on Biden’s weakness and incompetence, too. Their message is simple: Why should Ukraine or Taiwan put any faith in the United States after seeing how Washington has abandoned its allies in Afghanistan? America’s enemies are salivating at the thought of taking advantage of the president who surrendered in the War on Terror.
I don't agree with the Senator on all of this. Some of this yes, all of it, maybe not. But it doesn't really matter. Its still pretty embarrassing.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:36 pm

5 people are dead at the airport at Afghanistan so far. Apparently US GIs shot and killed 2 people and 3 more Afghanis were running to jump on a transport plane trying to take off and they got run over on the runway.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:02 pm

Im curious what we will see from the coverage of Biden’s address. In the past the President would undoubtedly face an angry media, questioning why everything they allowed the administration to say about Afghanistan in the last couple months was so wrong. How did we get the story we told to the People so badly fucked up from you? What exactly have you been doing?