Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Every media outlet is proclaiming Gingrich as the winner of South Carolina with only 1% of the vote in and Romney with 38% and Gingrich with 33%. WTF? Are they going on exit polls?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Bklyn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Yes. I guess the anxiety of 2000 has worn off the networks and they've shunned their policy of not announcing a victor before all precincts close and tallies are in over the past decade.

I just think it's a testament to the South Carolina school system that 49% of GOP voters polled said they see Newt as the most electable vs Barack Obama.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Hizzy III » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:48 pm

It's one thing to give a shit about Iowa and another to give a shit about New Hampshire, but who in their goddamn right mind gives any real credence to what those clowns in Lower Carol think about anything? Just look at what their tomfoolery lead to in 1861.

Sasafrass, indeed...
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:22 pm

FWIW, the winner of the SC republican primary has gone on to be the party's nominee since, like, 1944 or some shit. Yeah, it might just be a coincidence, but it's enough of one to make some people give a shit...

"I guess the anxiety of 2000 has worn off the networks and they've shunned their policy of not announcing a victor before all precincts close and tallies are in over the past decade."

I don't have any issue with projecting a winner, but projecting the winner with only 1% of the precincts reporting and them showing Romney with 38% and Gingrich with 32% and they declare Gingrich the winner based on that?? Obviously it couldn't be based on that, I'm just wondering what is WAS based on...

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:31 pm

It's just fascinating to me that the Republican Establishment is the minority in their party.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:33 pm

hedge wrote:FWIW, the winner of the SC republican primary has gone on to be the party's nominee since, like, 1944 or some shit. Yeah, it might just be a coincidence, but it's enough of one to make some people give a shit...
I think it's been just the last 5, but that could have been 1944...I didn't feel like doing the math.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Bklyn wrote:It's just fascinating to me that the Republican Establishment is the minority in their party.

I don't think they are the minority. The establishment candidate usually wins (Romney I think would have won SC if not for several self-inflicted hits).
My Dad is my hero still.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:30 am

William Jefferson
Even his staunchest enemies now regard his presidency as the good old days. He has become the rare consensus figure in a country that has lost all sense of consensus. So we talked to him about where it went, and how we might get it back.

ESQUIRE: Mr. President, as we're going into an election year that will likely scorch the earth, we want to talk with you about the notion of American consensus for the common good and why that is in so much trouble right now, and we want to find consensus on some things. As impossible as it might have seemed twenty years ago, there is now no figure of greater consensus in America than you. How did that happen? What is different between now and then? Why does the politics seem so much more caustic now than even then?

CLINTON: Well, it is more caustic now, but don't forget, when I was there, there were radio talk shows accusing me of murder, killing guys on train tracks in Arkansas, and of running drugs in western Arkansas, that kind of stuff.

First of all, I think the obvious answer is that I'm not running for anything anymore, and when you get out of the conflict, there is no particular advantage to somebody continuing to tear you down. And I think the second thing is the work I have done since I left office. It is seen as both conventionally progressive — the kind of stuff a Democrat would do in America and around the world — but it focuses on what works, and I've been able to generate support from liberals and conservatives across the board. One of the real dilemmas we have in our country and around the world is that what works in politics is organization and conflict. That is, drawing the sharp distinctions. But in real life, what works is networks and cooperation. And we need victories in real life, so we've got to get back to networks and cooperation, not just conflict. But politics has always been about conflict, and in the coverage of politics, information dissemination tends to be organized around conflict as well. It is extremely personal now, and you see in these primaries that the more people agree with each other on the issues, the more desperate they are to make the clear distinctions necessary to win, so the deeper the knife goes in.

http://www.esquire.com/print-this/bill- ... 2?page=all

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:34 am

The Repubs might want to take a good look at themselves if SC is a strong indicator of who their best presidential candidate is. Granted, they've won two of the last five presidential elections but still... I mean, some of you need to visit Sumter County to understand what I mean.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:12 am

"One of the real dilemmas we have in our country and around the world is that what works in politics is organization and conflict. That is, drawing the sharp distinctions. But in real life, what works is networks and cooperation."

That's a pretty astute observation (no surprising from coming from Clinton). If you work thru that premise a little further, it doesn't seem that far-fetched to draw the conclusion that politics don't work for real life. It's a self-contained game that is sucking the life out of the country and the world, not enhancing it. Abolish it. Or at the very least, decrease it in size, scope, power, etc, by about 80%. I wouldn't have any problem with a federal government running at about 20% of its current size. Of course, Crow and his cronies wouldn't like that too much. They never want the teat to run dry. Crow and his ilk are the real welfare queens in this country...

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:13 am

Jungle Rat wrote:I still read it, just don't give a shit about politics.
That is because you can't vote
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:16 am

But I still do.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:31 pm

LMAO....How dare you besmirch the fine name of Sumter, SC and its denizens...

Sadly, that's not even the biggest shithole in this state. I'm here visiting my sister and her family (watching the end of the Dook game with CameronCrazy was enjoyable), and I am constantly reminded of why I wanted to get back to NC. It's not that NC--particularly Eastern NC--is some advanced society but it beats the hell out of this place.
Hizzy III wrote:The Repubs might want to take a good look at themselves if SC is a strong indicator of who their best presidential candidate is. Granted, they've won two of the last five presidential elections but still... I mean, some of you need to visit Sumter County to understand what I mean.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Convicted felons can vote in North Carolina if they have completed all of their sentence. If they are on probation or parole for part of their sentence, they can't vote during that time even if they are not serving active time.

They can never own a firearm though. Possession of a firearm by a felon is a felony here.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:15 pm

I voted in the '92 election...

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:28 pm

I voted in the 1980 election.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:03 pm

I voted while on probation. Hell, my probation officer is the one who told me to go register when I lived in Granville. I also own a gun. Shhhhhh

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:07 pm

I have a feeling the GOP is pissed at South Carolina right now. They wanted a unified front against Obama, and with Gingrich winning over those dumbfucks by browbeating the media isn't going to work.

I heard him this morning on Meet The Press . He was asked about taking money from Freddie Mac and he treated the reporter like a school boy caught lying about stealing a piece of candy. They won't tolerate that for long and take him down.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 pm

It's different from state to state. I was just describing how North Carolina handles it.
Jungle Rat wrote:I voted while on probation. Hell, my probation officer is the one who told me to go register when I lived in Granville. I also own a gun. Shhhhhh

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:30 pm

I know that.