Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: College Football

Post by sardis » Wed May 04, 2011 3:15 pm

BigRedMan wrote:I heard that Bin Laden was wearing a Pittsburgh Steeler 2011 Super Bowl Champs shirt when they shot him.
Osama and Obama both part of Steeler Nation!!!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed May 04, 2011 3:18 pm

I understand where he was coming from http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6478438 but I think he has issues.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed May 04, 2011 3:23 pm

His issue is he can't punch it through on third and 1...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed May 04, 2011 3:24 pm

I thought that was your issue?

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

BcS

Post by Bklyn » Thu May 05, 2011 10:41 am

The federal government joined the bitter debate over college football's postseason system.

The Justice Department sent a letter Tuesday to the National Collegiate Athletic Association stating that "serious questions continue to arise" over whether the Bowl Championship Series—the sport's much-criticized method for choosing a champion—complies with antitrust laws.

The letter also asks why major-college football doesn't have a playoff, when so many other college sports do; what steps the NCAA has taken to create a playoff; and whether the NCAA has determined that aspects of the BCS system are unfair.

The letter, addressed to NCAA President Mark Emmert, is the latest and most dramatic event in a series of recent developments buffeting the BCS. In the past six weeks, the Fiesta Bowl fired its chief executive, John Junker, alleging financial improprieties. A group of law and economics experts wrote the Justice Department asking it to probe the BCS on antitrust grounds, and Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff said he intended to file an antitrust suit against the BCS.

At a congressional hearing Wednesday morning, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R., Utah), who has been pushing for an antitrust investigation of the BCS, asked Attorney General Eric Holder about the matter. Mr. Holder replied that the department had sent a letter to the NCAA and would be following up.

"We continue to receive information to determine whether to open an investigation into the legality of the current system under the antitrust laws," a Justice Department spokeswoman said.

Although the NCAA regulates college sports, its role in guiding major-college football has been diminished since a 1984 Supreme Court ruling, which found that it violated antitrust law in its television arrangements. Bob Williams, NCAA vice president of communications, said that Mr. Emmert has consistently said the NCAA was willing to create a playoff "if" the sport's membership makes that decision.

The BCS involves five games, one of which pits the No. 1- and No. 2-ranked teams against each other to determine college football's national champion. In the view of many critics, the rankings are subjective and discriminate against smaller schools.

The BCS started in the 1998 season, replacing two short-lived 1990s attempts to create a title game. For decades, college football struggled to produce a clear-cut title game because schools were contractually obligated to play in certain bowls, such as the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Cotton bowls. The BCS and its predecessors have tried to fix this by getting the No. 1- and No. 2-ranked teams to play each other. Auburn University beat the University of Oregon in this January's BCS title game, but Texas Christian University was left out of the championship matchup despite finishing its regular season undefeated.

BCS Executive Director Bill Hancock said he was confident the BCS complied with the law. "Goodness gracious, with all that's going on in the world right now and with national and state budgets being what they are, it seems like a waste of taxpayers' money to have the government looking into how college football games are played," he said.

To the BCS's many critics, however, the letter was a long-awaited sign that the government might take up the fight. Shortly after he was elected, President Barack Obama argued for a playoff on "60 Minutes" and said he would "throw my weight around a little bit."

"We aren't under any delusions that this is the No. 1 issue of the day," said Matthew Sanderson, co-founder of Playoff PAC, a political-action committee which is dedicated to replacing the BCS with a playoff. "But it's not trivial either."

—Thomas Catan contributed to this article.
Write to Darren Everson at darren.everson@wsj.com
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu May 05, 2011 7:44 pm

The letter also asks why major-college football doesn't have a playoff
The correct answer of course, is they do have a playoff system, by definition. They only have 2 teams that qualify it. If the Congress wants to get into how many teams should be included, that seems to go beyond antitrust.
My Dad is my hero still.

Fifer
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by Fifer » Sun May 08, 2011 10:32 am

This could be curtins for the sweater vest

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6499662

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Sun May 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Speaking of curtains....

Rumor One: Jared McAdoo (DT) will be charged and arrested for burglary soon. It's rumored that he stole stuff from a teammate and sold it.

Rumor Two: The NCAA is finally getting ready to send a Letter of Inquiry and Notice of Infractions to Carolina. Some state that John Blake will be mentioned often in the documents, which is going to be bad. The good news is that Carolina has come across as being "proactive" in dealing with all of this, and that certainly helps with the Gestapo...errr, the NCAA.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Sun May 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Rumor One: Jared McAdoo (DT) will be charged and arrested for burglary soon. It's rumored that he stole stuff from a teammate and sold it.

guess his tutor will be writing a paper soon.

NCAA is finally getting ready to send a Letter of Inquiry and Notice of Infractions to Carolina

that sets up nicely for another letter when unc runs out of appeals on the parking tickets lawsuit.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Mon May 09, 2011 2:08 pm

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 09, 2011 3:56 pm

You gonna post that fucking thing everywhere dipshit?

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Mon May 09, 2011 4:34 pm

STFU

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Thu May 12, 2011 10:46 am

BCS Executive Director Bill Hancock said he was confident the BCS complied with the law. "Goodness gracious, with all that's going on in the world right now and with national and state budgets being what they are, it seems like a waste of taxpayers' money to have the government looking into how college football games are played," he said.
Actually, no, it's not a waste of taxpayers' money, since a great deal of college football is already subsidized by taxpayer dollars (football stadiums at state institutions and so on). But good job by Mr. Hancock of trying to distract people from the overriding principle at question here: is it on the up and up?
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Thu May 12, 2011 11:13 am

This guy is obviously a fruit. Some Art major fag reject trying to masquerade as a sports columnist.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6196 ... ts/page/22
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

Ron Mexico
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Prairie View A&M

Post by Ron Mexico » Thu May 12, 2011 3:17 pm

It's sad that Hancock used to be a respected guy. Now he's just a puppet for the likes of Jim Delany, Mike Slive, and John Boy Swofford and operates along the lines of the Iraqi information minister. But if we're talking about "wasted taxpayer money," how about a shout out for an entity that's taxed as a non-profit but violates the non-profit status rules in the areas of allowable expenses, political contributions, and lobbying, i.e., the Fiesta Bowl.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 pm

I don't understand the goverments argument. The BCS is a playoff system. What argument are they trying to make?
My Dad is my hero still.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 pm

That They keep out others more qualified?

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Out of what? It's a two team playoff system.
My Dad is my hero still.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu May 12, 2011 10:32 pm

The BCS is more than a two team system.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu May 12, 2011 10:40 pm

It is a two team playoff system. The rest are just a rotating plan for filling out the bowls. The alternative that was present was private bowls negotiating with private leagues for matchups.
My Dad is my hero still.