Boston College Eagles

Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: Boston College Eagles

Post by innocentbystander » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:And no it wouldn't shock me if the game does get moved off campus
That wont happen. That only happens when a school is blackmailed into doing that. You will be stuck playing in BC's pusswad stadium.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:27 pm

dave_rickart wrote:"BC has some scheduling self-esteem."

Maine?
Scheduling self-esteem is refusing to settle for a 2-for-1. BC will probably never play another SEC team again because the SEC would demand a 2-for-1 or (most likely) a 1-for-none. That will not happen at BC anymore. Used to happen, will not happen anymore.

I'm shocked that Ohio State lowered itself to play 1-for-1 with BC. Amazed actually. Really this is a big loser for your AD. He should be ashamed of himself. You think Michigan would ever settle for a 1-for-1 with BC?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:30 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:And no it wouldn't shock me if the game does get moved off campus
That wont happen. That only happens when a school is blackmailed into doing that. You will be stuck playing in BC's pusswad stadium.
Sure it will. By then BC will be in Conference USA.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:13 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:
Sure it will. By then BC will be in Conference USA.
Doesn't matter. Contract is signed. You negotiate the location of the away games BEFORE you sign the contract. Now, Ohio State has lost all bargaining power. They MUST play BC in Chestnut Hill.

I still can't believe they signed it.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by 10ac » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Or give them a big pay day.
Let 'er Blow!

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:33 pm

10ac wrote:Or give them a big pay day.
When we play our MAC schools, they bend over and pick up a check. I doubt seriously that Ohio State is giving BC a dime.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:11 am

We have played at BC's stadium before. But still, the location could easily change. It's 10 years away

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:21 am

Good grief OSU played at fucking Carter Finley. They'll play in Boston unless there's very a good reason not to. Props to the Buckeyes for helping out some shitty programs.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:52 pm

AugustWest wrote:Good grief OSU played at fucking Carter Finley. They'll play in Boston unless there's very a good reason not to. Props to the Buckeyes for helping out some shitty programs.
Carter-Finley is a gorgeous stadium to play in with an outstanding college football atmosphere. You seat (what?) 55,000 and largely you sellout your games. For Ohio State to play there, is no real knock on Ohio State.

Playing football in Chestnut Hill is a completely different situation.

#1) tailgating, there really isn't any. You need to get to the tailgate field no earlier than 2 hours before kickoff and MUST LEAVE no later than 1 hour after the game is over. And you have to pay a couple thousand dollars to some BC organization for this terrible privilege. AND you are fucking HARRASSED the whole time with rent-a-cops driving over to your tailgate to yell at you about making sure you don't serve alcohol ot minors (even asking for ID from people at your tailgate.) You aren't allowed to play drinking games at your tailgate.

#2) Chestnut Hill has some horrible local residents who want the stadium gone NOW. And these residents are very politically active in local politics in an effort to hurt the football game day expereince. Google that c-nt "Eva Webster" if you don't believe me. They do not allow ANYONE to park anywhere near the stadium. If you are an Ohio State fan with a Winnebago, you might as well leave it at home and fly to Boston because there is no where for you to park it.

#3) It is a very smallish ACC stadium that rarely ever sells out and even if it is soldout, it is never to capacity.

Ohio State playing at Carter-Finley is completely different than playing at Chestnut Hill.

billy bob bocephus
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by billy bob bocephus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:39 pm

augie, IB is right - tailgating rules at Wake Forrest are orders of magnitude more lenient than at BC

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:09 pm

billy bob bocephus wrote:augie, IB is right - tailgating rules at Wake Forrest are orders of magnitude more lenient than at BC
Exactly. Its less than a Texas high school football game experience. Which is why I'm shocked that Ohio State signed the contract.

Because they signed it, the game WILL be played in Chestnut Hill and not Foxborough. And that is what the Alumni want even though they know deep down it totally blows in Chestnut Hill. PRIDE keeps them from wanting the game played elsewhere. And Ohio State can't force the game to be played elsewhere.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:15 pm

We could pay extra to move it. God knows we have it and God knows you need it.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:05 pm

I already said that.
Let 'er Blow!

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:36 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:We could pay extra to move it. God knows we have it and God knows you need it.
It would cost you millions.

You wont do that.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:54 am

By the time they play that game BC will beg that it be moved.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 am

""BC has some scheduling self-esteem."

Maine?"

In terms of talent and pedigree, Maine is closer to BC than BC is close to OSU...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:By the time they play that game BC will beg that it be moved.
Why? Why would BC beg to move the game off campus to Foxborough? What is in it for BC?

They can't sell the 44,500 seats as it is, there is NO BENEFIT to BC for moving the game off campus. BC isn't UConn. PRIDE and self-esteem will keep the 2021 game at the miserable stadium with no tailgating and asshole local residents who make it a miserable experience for visitors.

Best case for Ohio State (what I think will happen) is BC will play in C-Bus in 2020, and in January of 2021, the AD of Ohio State will cut BC a check for $3,000,000 as compensation to NOT play at BC in 2021. Basically, this will turn into an SEC-esque 1-and-none because Ohio State has absolutely NO INTENTION of playing at Chestnut Hill. This is just a money grab for BC and a boneheaded play by Ohio State.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:52 am

We would cancel the games and schedule UMass before paying $3 million. Not much of a dropoff in quality and nicer stadium.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:36 pm

Saturday October 13th, 8:43 PM, Tallahasee airport:

(Brad Bates placing a call to President and Chancellor Father Leahy as he is running to catch his flight back to Boston) "Father, I've seen enough. This can't continue, I'd like to terminate Frank effective Monday morning."

(Father Leahy) "Where are you Brad?"

"I'm at the airport, running to catch the 9:10."

"Brad, do not speak to anyone else about this conversation, is that clear?"

(Astonished) "Certainly. So can we say this is a done thing and the BOT will start writing up the pap--"

"Brad, I think you and I need to have a conversation Monday morning."

"Sure, absolutely, what time?"

"10AM"

"Great, look forward to seeing you Father."

---------

9:58AM, Monday, October 15th, Father Leahy's office

(Brad Bates knocks on the door)

(Leahy) "Come in Brad."

Brad Bates enters Father's Leahy's office for the second time since he has been an employee of Boston College. The entire BC Board of Trustees are seated in the office looking stearnly at Brad Brad does not know what to make of this.

(Father Leahy) "Ask me why I look so serious?"

(Brad Bates) "I know why, terminating a coach is serious business."

(Father Leahy, turning and looking at some of the board members) "I don't think he gets it..."

(Bates) "Get what?" <almost indignant>

(BOT member 1) "Brad, I apologize for not making you a bigger part of the conversation earlier when you were hired, but I am not quite certain you are clearly aware of what we are trying to accomplish here."

(Brad Bates) "What are you talking about?"

(BOT member 2) "Brad, you are not firing Frank Spaziani. You do not have that authority. End of story."

(Bates) "Of course I can and I DO have that authority. He works for me."

(BOT member 1, now ANGRY with Bates) "NO BRAD, he works for Boston College, something YOU might not be doing much LONGER if you don't change your attitude!"

(BOT member 2, interupting BOT member 1) "It's okay, I can take this." <turns to Brad Bates> "Brad, Frank is the lowest paid head coach in the ACC."

(Bates) "So?"

(#2) "Brad, we signed him up to a LONG TERM CONTRACT that will continue to pay him the LEAST of any of the ACC head coaches. And if you fire him, not only must we keep paying him, we'll also have to hire and pay someone else."

(BOT member 3) "Brad, you were hired for just four reasons: #1) because Gene announced his retirement and we had to have an AD, #2) because you were willing to work the cheapest of all our candidates, #3) because you are good at raising money at smaller schools and mostly #4) we couldn't get anyone else for the salary we offered you. Believe me, you are nothing special."

(BOT member 4) "The Athletic Director position at Boston College is the face of the athletic program. That is what you are. And as that face, your primary goal is raise money for the school. That is pretty much all you have to do, and that is all you need to know son."

(Bates) "Whoa. Wait a minute. I'm not your son. But what it appears is that if I have no authority to hire or fire, I am little more than a figure head?"

(#4 smiling) "If you would like to refer to yourself that way..."

(Bates) "Well great. Tell me, how am I supposed to raise money with a football coach who can't coach or recruit anyone other than FCS level talent, a coach who can't even beat Army?"

(Father Leahy) "Brad, our alumni are extremely successful. They have grown wealthy in their professions and are very VERY successful in life. They have money to donate."

(Bates) "But they don't want to donate unless..."

(Leahy) "Unless what?"

(Bates) "...unless the football team wins."

(BOT members all smiling and laughing with each other)

(Leahy) "Brad, a very tiny percentage of our alumni is fickle enough with their donations to be bothered worrying if the football team wins or loses. The majority of our alumni are very proud of this school REGARDLESS of whether or not the team wins football games. You are being silly."

(A very irritated BOT member #1) "Look Brad, I'm only going to say this once. You have the easiest athletic director's job in the country. You can work 30 hours a week. You don't have to worry about the onfield performance since almost ALL of our school's income in built in thanks to being in the ACC, and since the players are smarter than the average athlete, they tend to stay out of trouble. Your job is easy. Do NOT give us a hard time about making sure it stays easy."

(Bates) "People don't want to pay money to watch BC lose."

(Leahy) "And when we were winning, they weren't paying that much more. You may or may not know this Brad, but when Jeff Jagozinski had his team at 8-0 with a home game vs Florida State, our stadium wasn't even at capacity. And that was a night game."

(BOT member 2) "Our fans are somewhat indifferent to whether the team wins or loses. Sure we averaged about five to seven thousand more in attendance when the team was challenging for the ACC, but the sales of those 7000 tickets do not justify any extra expense on our part to hire a winning coach. We are going to get the same amount of ACC TV money whether we win or lose."

(Leahy) "We also have complete control of the local media. No one in the local Boston media gives Frank Spaziani a hard time that he is losing. And when he does his media conference calls, we'll simply have the moderators shut out anyone who tries to put Frank on the spot about a loss."

(BOT member 3) "You have it pretty easy. Simply ignore all the posts on the few fan blogs that call for Frank's head as these people have NO ONE to go to other than us. Even the most juvenile BC alumni who determines SOLELY on whether to donate based on the football team's success or failure, will start donating again simply because they owe us for giving them such a great education that led to their wonderful lives, families, and careers. They owe US< we don't owe THEM. We do NOT let the animals run the zoo here."

(BOT member 4) "Brad, we here at BC do NOT alter our athletic policy based on a few people who think that BC should actually challenge these football factories on the field. Our goal is raising money and graduating players, do not forget that."

(Leahy) "Alright Brad, you may go."

(A disgusted and disheartened Brad gets up to leave)

(Leahy) "Oh one more thing Brad, no one must ever hear about this conversation we've just had. If there is even one blog post, one rumor, one tweet, one anything, then I'm afraid we'll all have to meet again in my office and that meeting will be an entirely different conversation. I know you understand."

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by KeviNole » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Brad...who?