Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Prof Tiger & Sardis "All Things Considered" Theology Hut

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:15 pm

If Hillary had won, and had appointed a couple of Mensheviks to SCOTUS, then the tax exemptions of churches that don’t do gay marriages would be being revoked about now. Black churches are by far the most anti-gay marriage group I know of, so it would have made for some ugly footage watching agents of the newly created Federal Theology Enforcement Agency, guns drawn, boarding up black churches across the country.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm

A shame, all 'em black churches burned out by the gays.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Well, closeted gays...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:04 am

All churches should lost tax exempt status, period.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:49 am

There also needs to be more tax on food. The current rate doesn’t seem to be a deterrent.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:04 pm

BRM laughs in the face of food taxes

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 pm

BigRedMan wrote:All churches should lost tax exempt status, period.
Well, here are some other organizations that are tax exempt:
The Critter Connection - "Operating under the banner “great loves comes in small packages,” the Critter Connection rescues and rehabilitates abandoned or neglected guinea pigs."

The Naked Clowns - "This nonprofit organization was started by members of a clown conservatory after their teacher, world renowned juggler Judy Finelli, became wheelchair-bound by her multiple sclerosis. Originally intended to raise money for her medical expenses, the clowns started holding benefits where they performed au natural, though no actual nudity was depicted in the performances. These performances ultimately gave way to the organization’s current fundraising initiative: a yearly “Naked Clown” calendar that depicts the performers in various portraits and situations. Each clown uses props, equipment and positioning to strategically "dress" themselves while giving the overall impression of nudity."

Tall Clubs International Foundation - "Remember that weird college scholarship we told you about, which awards men and women of tall stature $1,000 in financial aid? Well, it’s furnished by Tall Clubs International (TCI) Foundation, a nonprofit organization “created to benefit the interest of tall people.” According to its website, the foundation’s primary purpose is to fund scholarships given to Tall Clubs International members under 21, who meet the minimum height requirements of 5'10” for women and 6'2” for men. TCI has 50 clubs and 2,000 members throughout the U.S. and Canada."

The Institute of Noetic Sciences - "'Noetic theory, according to Google, is a branch of metaphysical philosophy concerned with the study of mind and intuition, and its relationship with the divine intellect. Since we’re not really sure what that means, we’re also confused about what The Institute of Noetic Sciences, a nonprofit organization founded in 1973 by Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, does. According to its website, the California-based organization is dedicated to “advancing the science of consciousness and human experience to serve individual and collective transformation.” Apparently, this includes holding educational retreats on metaphysics, awarding bi-annual grants for “creative altruism” and teaching yoga. They also host wine tastings."

LongHopes Donkey Shelter - Those looking to adopt a donkey can do so at the Colorado-based LongHopes Donkey Shelter, which gives homes to unwanted donkeys, preventing the animals from being slaughtered at local sales barns. You can adopt a donkey through this charity for any price between $150 and $350, depending on the animal’s age, health and training. All applicants are screened to make sure that the animals will go to proper homes.

The Order of the Azure Rose - This Colorado-based nonprofit organization is attempting to bring chivalry back by holding Renaissance fairs that double as etiquette lessons. The group, founded in 2009, provides demonstrations and educational materials for a schools, youth groups, community recreation activities and Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops. These historical recreations, according to the group’s Facebook page, promote “the values of Chivalry and Courtesy for 21st century audiences. All donations and monies received are tax-deductible and used solely for the nonprofit’s educational purposes and operational expenses.

https://www.thestreet.com/slideshow/128 ... ities.html
I guess if these groups deserve tax exempt status (and I don't begrudge them theirs), then churches probably do too.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Take it away from them also.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 pm

::: Tosses BRM a corn cob :::

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:48 pm

How about these tax exempt organizations?
SCENSIONS COMMUNITY SERVICES INC
(202)
889-4344 http://www.2ascend.org EIN#51-0519629
Ascensions serves DC through quality, culturally relevant, therapeutic interventions & psycho-educational workshops. We provide clients the
assistance they need to improve their self-concept, relationships, and positive contributions to our community.

ASSOCIATION FOR THE PRESERVATION OF HISTORIC CONGRESSIONAL CEMETERY
(202)
543-0539 http://www.congressionalcemetery.org EIN#52
Historic Congressional Cemetery s mission is to preserve and protect our historic yet active burial ground, interpreting the heritage represented
by those interred there through education, historic preservation, community engagement, & environ stewardship

BOXER RESCUE AND ADOPTION, INC.
(703)620-5566 http://www.va-boxerrescue.org EIN#54-1866482
Rescues and finds loving homes for lost, abandoned, abused, and unwanted Boxer dogs.

C S DIFFERENT DRUMMERS
(202)403-3669
http://www.dcdd.org EIN#52-1224497 DC s Different Drummers provides a supportive environment for LGBT and straight-allied members to present quality
instrumental music programming that entertains, challenges, educates, and inspires.

DC SHIBA INU RESCUE (DC SHIBA INU RESCUE)
(571)482-9691 http://www.dcsir.org EIN#46-1102005
DCSIR rescues, fosters, vets, & trains neglected & stray Shiba Inus. We also help owners keep their Shibas in their current home or rehome via our
extensive adoption process. We educate pet owners about reward-based training, nutrition, & wellness.

RIENDS OF COLVIN RUN MILL
(703)759-2771
http://www.focrm.org EIN#54-1846718 Supports Colvin Run Mill Historic Site. Funds a variety of family & educational programs. Contributes to continuing
restoration, conservation & maintenance of the facilities and grounds.

GEARIN UP BICYCLES
(202)780-5174 http://www.Gearin
UpBicycles.org EIN#45-4857730 Gearin Up Bicycles is a nonprofit community bicycle shop that equips DC area youth with tools for success through
workforce development and experiential education.

GEORGETOWN CHORALE
(202)832-3210 http://
http://www.georgetownchorale.org EIN#52-1704000 The Georgetown Chorale is dedicated to achieving musical excellence and providing community service
through music.

OY OF MOTION DANCE CENTER INC
(202)813-9505 http://www.joyofmotion.org EIN#52-1074743 Joy of Motion Dance Center unites dance professionals, students, and audiences by providing exceptional
education and performances that stimulate a universal love of dance.

METROPOLITAN GUINEA PIG RESCUE
(202)575-2210 http://www.mgpr.org EIN#54-1982408 MGPR is a non-profit corporation that rescues, rehabilitates, and finds new homes for guinea pigs in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area. We also work to educate the public on the proper care of guinea pigs.

ROBERT E LEE HIGH SCHOOL PTSA (VIRGINIA
CONGRESS OF PARENTS AND TEACHERS)
(703)924-8300 EIN#52-1289058 To make every child's potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for
all children. Manage the cooperative efforts of the parents and greater community in support of learning and citizen development at Robert E Lee.
That's a selection from pages 1-19 out of 116 page list on https://cfcnca.org/sites/cfcnca.org/fil ... 0final.pdf

You get the idea. Do these groups deserve tax free status, BRM?

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:57 pm

I didn't even look at any of the organizations you listed in those posts but I can categorically guarantee that the least of them is far more deserving of tax exempt status than any church, including the one with clowns (I did catch that one out of the corner of my eye)....
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 am

So out of thousands of all the private organizations out there that have tax exemptions, churches are the ONLY ones that don’t deserve theirs. And the rational explanation from you is, you just despise churches. Got it.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Those orgs as well Prof.

Unless you are the Red Cross, NOPE. I don't care about saving boxers (Tyson or the dog variety), dancing, or any towns historic site.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:40 pm

BRM, at least you are being consistent.

The Gray Ghost
Senior

Post by The Gray Ghost » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:49 am

Wait a minute - the Red CROSS gets your approval? Shouldn't they have to ditch that symbol or at least add a crescent to be more inclusive?

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:19 am

Okay okay, the Red CROSS and the Red Crescent, which already exists separately anyway.

But shouldn’t we add a Red Star of David? Sure, the Left hates Israel, and has grown suspicious of all Jews recently, but still...

The Gray Ghost
Senior

Post by The Gray Ghost » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:46 am

Well they could replace them all with the Star Wars logo of "the Republic" and rename it the Red Force.
BTW prof, GC ended with no moves to revise the BCP - they ran out of time and money in the budget, so that keeps the current in place until 2033. I'll still keep a copy (along with my 1928 BCP) locked in a safe just in case.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:24 pm

I was a 1928 BCP guy for a long time, and remember it fondly.

“Almighty God, unto whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from who me no secrets are hid...”

The Gray Ghost
Senior

Post by The Gray Ghost » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:43 pm

That still opens Rite 1 in '79, and 'to you' instead of 'unto whom' in Rite 2. I like the 28 but it had the same lectionary every year (and no page numbers!).

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Surprisingly, the Russian and Arabic Orthodox Churches in America have a Western Rite which includes a slightly modified form of the ‘28 BCP. It also includes an English translation of the Latin Mass. That Western Rite never really caught on, though.