Virginia Tech Hokies

Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

JRB
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan

Post by JRB » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Miami runs off-tackle on 2nd and goal from the 30...and scores. That's how this game has gone in the second half for the Virginia Tech defense. They're down a starting DT, a starting DE, a starting LB, and they're down to their last chance in this one. This is a situation in which Virginia Tech offenses have usually not distinguished themselves.
"Reserving judgements is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

JRB
Sophomore

Whew...

Post by JRB » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Virginia Tech barely survives a second-half Miami onslaught, and the offense managed to score a game-winning touchdown in the last two minutes. The defensive injuries and mistakes are troubling, but it was nice to see Logan Thomas, a week after struggling all night against Clemson, come back strong. He was the best player on the field for Virginia Tech, and the Hokies needed every single play he made to win this one.

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Virginia Tech Hokies

Post by dave_rickart » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Dewey defeats Truman!
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

JRB
Sophomore

Post by JRB » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:31 pm

A bizarrely lifeless effort today from Virginia Tech in Durham, and the Hokies are in serious trouble against a outmanned Duke team that's played harder than them on nearly every play. Virginia Tech's defensive injuries are an issue, but today, the bigger problems have been on offense and special teams-- Logan Thomas has thrown two redzone interceptions, VT's been unable to move the ball in the second half, and VT's lost the hidden yardage game. If Duke's kicker was any good, Duke would have the lead in this game right now.

JRB
Sophomore

Post by JRB » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:01 pm

The VT defense stood on its head in the second half, and managed to save a game VT's offense and special teams did not deserve to win. It was a very similar game to the East Carolina game-- VT made enough mistakes to keep an underdog in the fight, but managed to avoid the one killer mistake that would have forced them to play from behind. It's pretty clear that this team goes as Logan Thomas goes. Today he was not sharp, and that nearly cost VT an embarrassing defeat.

JRB
Sophomore

Post by JRB » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:31 am

Life with a first-year starter at QB-- the VT offense looked like death warmed over at Duke, and deserved to lose. Then VT goes to a much better Georgia Tech team that handcuffed Clemson's offense, comes from behind twice, puts up nearly 500 yards, and scores 37 points. The personal foul against Attaochu was huge, but it's one thing to get a break, and another to make it count. VT's offense made GT pay for that mistake immediately, and that swing really decided the game.

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Dr. Nostron » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:54 pm

That and Paul Johnson going for it on 4th and 1 deep in his own territory when only down 1 pt - that was a headscratcher.

JRB
Sophomore

Post by JRB » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:29 am

Sometimes when you get on a bit of a roll, you get some luck. Virginia Tech got a lot of luck tonight, and they needed just about all of it, because UNC outplayed them for most of the game. I've got to give a lot of credit to Everett Withers and his staff. After their terrible showing against N.C. State, and with all the turmoil surrounding that program, it would have been easy for UNC to come in flat and just play out the string. Instead, they came in with a solid game plan, exposed VT on the perimeter in the running game, and battled back after going down by three scores. UNC didn't get any favors from Ron Cherry and his crew(that bunch has screwed everybody in the league at least once-- it was UNC's misfortune that it was apparently their turn tonight), they suffered a major setback when Giovani Bernard got hurt, and several key bounces didn't go their way. UNC nearly overcame all of that. I hate saying UNC deserved better tonight, but they may well have.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:31 am

Ron Cherry is god-awful. fire his sorry ass.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:17 am

He's still living off the "giving him the business" glory...I give him credit for the humor there but otherwise he's absolutely awful.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:51 am

Cherry likes to fuck us versus VT, but you have to overcome the officiating. The bounces didn't go our way. While some things are certainly pure luck, you are responsible for making most of your luck.

Had Houston not fumbled inside of the VT five and thus robbing Carolina of going up 14-0, it would have been a different ball game.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:18 am

not saying the fix wasnt in to keep vt at one loss but Cherry doesnt like to 'fuck" anybody. he's just that bad.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:30 am

AugustWest wrote:not saying the fix wasnt in to keep vt at one loss but Cherry doesnt like to 'fuck" anybody. he's just that bad.
Well, I didn't mean for it to come across as him having the intention of keeping VT at one loss, but it could have been. I do agree that his crew is the worst crew in the conference, which is saying something, and he is one of the worst referee/crew chiefs in all of major college football.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:50 am

Houston didn't fuck you, Cherry didn't rob you....

your placekicker handed that game to the cHokies.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:42 am

Well, he couldn't help one of the misses. The wind gusted right as it was in the air and that ball had no shot.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:14 pm

typical Bleaksburg weather

JRB
Sophomore

Post by JRB » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:10 am

I thought VT lost the first game against Clemson as much as Clemson won it. This one, Clemson won impressively, and I think they won it in the week before the game. Dabo Swinney motivated his team all week(wearing the Orange Bowl shirt in press conferences drew a lot of negative attention, but clearly, his team appreciated the gesture), and the Tigers wanted this one to save their season. They outplayed VT in nearly every way possible from the opening snap. I didn't think it was possible for Dabo Swinney to outcoach Frank Beamer twice in a season, but he and his staff pulled it off. They exploited their match up advantages, they called an aggressive game on both sides of the ball, and they just got terrific effort from their kids all night long. Clemson was the best team in the ACC for the first two months of the season. Tonight, they remembered that, and there wasn't much VT could do. 11-2 and a Chick-Fil-A Bowl is about right for this Virginia Tech team. They've had a lot of great moments this year, but they just had one team they couldn't handle.

Dr. Nostron
Junior

Post by Dr. Nostron » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:35 pm

This most inexplicable game of the year was NC States beatdown of Clemson.

Doesnt seem any way in any universe that could happen

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:21 pm

CU was looking past us to the cocks, plus they were already in the title game, and I guess they figured they had no shot at the national title regardless, and they were missing their best player. perfect storm.

JRB
Sophomore

Post by JRB » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:20 pm

So, Virginia Tech gets destroyed in the ACC championship game, and their reward is...the BCS game most VT fans actually wanted in the first place, since everyone's tired of going to Miami, and New Orleans is a much better trip anyway. This is great! Now, who are the Hokies playing?

OH, GODDAMNIT!