Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: Virginia Tech Hokies

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Didn't you predict BC would win a MNC not so long ago? Excuse me if I wipe my ass with your opinion.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Didn't you predict BC would win a MNC not so long ago? Excuse me if I wipe my ass with your opinion.
Why YES Jungle rodent, I did. It was February of 2007 when I made that prediction. Would you care to ask our resident "published" poster Jason Bezerkly, how far off I was in my prediction that year?

*IF* F$U hadn't have gone and fucked it all up for us (in Matty's second hurricane game of the season, where everyone in Boston was watching the Red Sox in the World Series) and *IF* we actually had a kicker (just a kicker) in the ACC Championship, I do believe we not only would have played Ohio State in the MNC, but Matty Ice would have beaten their fucking asses.

Truth be told, I have no made that same prediction since 2007. So screw....
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:19 am

bahahahahaha

Jason, rest easy. Carolina has a one year post-season ban that extends to the conference championship as well.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia

Post by dave_rickart » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 am

....apparently they've been on a 30-year ban from the conference championship
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

JRB
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan

Post by JRB » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:30 pm

I had forgotten about UNC's conference title ban. My fault. I still think UNC's talented enough to mess up somebody's chances, though.

IB, you don't see a loss on Clemson's schedule? The Tigers open in Atlanta against Auburn. They go to Florida State. They've lost five of their last six meetings against Georgia Tech. I'm not sure I see a definite loss on Clemson's schedule, either, but there are quite a few strong possibilites, and I really can't see Dabo Swinney getting his team to show up mentally thirteen straight times. I would think the Orange Bowl wipeout demonstrated that Clemson's still not national title material. They certainly could end the season playing in Miami again, but I doubt they're playing in the BCS title game.
"Reserving judgements is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:43 pm

All I know, is you and I watched a team of Clemson sophmores kick the crap out of almost everyone they faced last year. Their problem was consistancy. They didn't play consistantly well late in the season. And that burned them (particularly in the Orange Bowl.)

I think a much older and veteran team (that already proved it is BCS worthy) will get the consistancy part this year. And that might get them to the MNC, depending on what happens in the SEC.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:53 pm

I'd like to see Clemson do well. Aren't too many UA alums as D1 head coaches anymore. Dabo, Cutcliffe, Mike Riley...can't think of anyone else.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

billy bob bocephus
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by billy bob bocephus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:41 pm

They didn't play consistantly well late in the season.
they didn't play consistantly early in the season ...Trickett put what, 30 some odd points and over 300 yards on them at Clemson?...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:46 pm

...and Florida State lost. That is the whole point I was making, Clemson was consistant in the early part of the season in that they won all their games.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:15 am

Heh - we're going to beat Clemson by double digits. Book it.

JRB
Sophomore

Post by JRB » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Right now, Virginia Tech is getting destroyed by a Pittsburgh team that looks worlds better than it did in its first two games, while VT looks like a team that's progressively gotten worse since its opener. Pittsburgh is averaging over a 10 yards a play so far, and Logan Thomas looks like the QB that started last season, only with fewer playmakers to help him. In the Big East, VT always had problems going to Pittsburgh, and they're having all kinds of problems today. VT just got a break from Pittsburgh by missing a field goal, and promptly turned the ball back over for the third time to Pittsburgh, this time on their own 10. 21-0, Pittsburgh, early in the second quarter.

JRB
Sophomore

Post by JRB » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:38 pm

This has been the worst half of football for Virginia Tech since the second half of the JMU game in 2010. They've had bad halves since-- the second halves against Stanford in the Orange Bowl and Clemson in the ACC championship game come to mind-- but those came against good teams playing very well. Pittsburgh isn't doing anything all that complicated, and they're not overly talented. The Panthers are just taking full advantage of a mistake-prone and listless team that looks as if it doesn't want to be out there. Logan Thomas has killed drives with overthrows that have turned into interceptions(though they haven't all been his fault), and both VT lines are getting thrashed. The Hokies will be doing well to make this competitive in the second half-- it certainly hasn't been competitive so far.

JRB
Sophomore

Post by JRB » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:10 pm

It's 35-17 Pittsburgh now, and it probably shouldn't be that close. VT's special teams units did what they could, but they were the only competitive units VT managed to field in this one. VT's offense looked confused and soft, and VT's defense has not been able to overcome either its own injury problems or Pittsburgh's offensive line. Pittsburgh penalties stopped the Panthers better than VT's defense did today. This has been a terrible performance against a Pittsburgh team that had looked awful in its first two games. Apparently there's nothing wrong with a Pittsburgh football team that a visit from VT won't cure.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Virginia Tech pisses me off more than anyone else in the conference (well, maybe Clemson).

Fuckin' Hokies.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:42 am

Well said.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:47 pm

No wonder the Hokies left the Big East....

JRB
Sophomore

Post by JRB » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:47 am

After the debacle against Cincinnati, I fully expected VT to lose to UNC, and I thought there was a good chance they'd get blown out. I never thought they'd gain nearly 400 yards of offense and score 34 points and still get blown out.

That was a dominant performance by a UNC program that looks to be much better coached than it was under the perpetually overrated Butch Davis. Their defense is still suspect, and they commit too many penalties, but they know what they do well and they do a good job of anticipating adjustments. That's a good football team. You can probably pencil them in as the 2013 Coastal Division favorites right now.

As for Virginia Tech, this is a badly wounded and struggling program right now. The Hokies are worse at nearly every position on the field than they were at this time last year. None of the new starters have panned out consistently, and some of the experienced starters have gotten worse. Plus, there's just this strange vibe this team gives off-- since the start of the Pittsburgh game, they haven't looked like they want to be out there. The next six games will determine a lot about the future of VT football. As for this week, if the Hokies aren't full touchdown underdogs against Duke, they probably should be.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Re:

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:20 pm

JRB wrote:After the debacle against Cincinnati, I fully expected VT to lose to UNC, and I thought there was a good chance they'd get blown out. I never thought they'd gain nearly 400 yards of offense and score 34 points and still get blown out.

That was a dominant performance by a UNC program that looks to be much better coached than it was under the perpetually overrated Butch Davis. Their defense is still suspect, and they commit too many penalties, but they know what they do well and they do a good job of anticipating adjustments. That's a good football team. You can probably pencil them in as the 2013 Coastal Division favorites right now.

As for Virginia Tech, this is a badly wounded and struggling program right now. The Hokies are worse at nearly every position on the field than they were at this time last year. None of the new starters have panned out consistently, and some of the experienced starters have gotten worse. Plus, there's just this strange vibe this team gives off-- since the start of the Pittsburgh game, they haven't looked like they want to be out there. The next six games will determine a lot about the future of VT football. As for this week, if the Hokies aren't full touchdown underdogs against Duke, they probably should be.
Re: UNC

I wouldn't pencil us in as favorites just yet. The OL will lose 3-4 starters, and if he looks like he will go during the first three rounds, I can't imagine Gio staying another year given his injury history.

Eric Ebron is a great receiving threat at TE, but, Good God, that kid has some mental issues when it comes to false starts. That's the only way to explain it. He gets at least one per game, and usually 2-3. Hell, he even gets them consecutively. It's maddening.

Our defense sucks ass. That's all there is to say about that. This team won't be winning any defensive slugfest anytime soon, and until they can keep good teams under 20 points, they shouldn't be considered division favorites.

The next three games will tell us a lot about the state of the program.

Re: VT

What the fuck is wrong?

Logan Thomas is a fine qb, but his receivers cost him yards and points Saturday. Then, your running game looked like shit. Hell, we were stopping you with six guys in the box on several plays.

Your defense? Sweet Jesus. I thought that this was going to be a dominant VT defense of old before the season, but Foster's product looks like shit. I am surprised that psychopath hasn't had an aneurysm yet or choked one of his players.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Re: Re:

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:21 pm

n/m
Last edited by DooKSucks on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:22 pm

You quoted yourself?
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.