Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:12 am

I've always heard Clemson is a real nice scene but I've never been...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:24 am

Here's the IC scouting report on Thiero:

Adou Thiero, 6’8” 222, Sophomore
Stats: 21.3 mpg, 7.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.1 bpg, 49.2 FG%
Advanced Stats: 121.5 ORtg, 8.3 OR%, 5.3 Blk%
Synergy: Overall Offense – 83% (Very Good), Overall Defense – 8% (Poor)

Overall:
-#138 ranked recruit in the 2022 class (247)
-Grew 4 inches as a senior in high school to 6’5”, committing to Kentucky in May 2022
-#22 ranked transfer (247)
-Averaged 9.5 minutes per game as a freshman

Offense:
-Doubled minutes from freshman to sophomore year (9.6 -> 21.3), while increasing efficiency (99.0 -> 121.5 Ortg)
-Versatile scoring threat from the 4 position
-Very much of a hard, straight-line driver from the perimeter, most effective driving right, but attacks with both hands
-Aggressive off the ball, strong cuts from the wing or corner, will be a good lob threat for Cadeau (23 dunks this past season)
-Likes to get out in transition, covers solid ground with his size, can also push the ball off steals / deflections
-Strong offensive rebounder, uses size and strength well and can fight in the paint when necessary
-Very small sample size shooting outside the paint, was just 7-22 from 3 (31.8%), but shot 80% from the free throw line. Solid form when set from outside and will need to work hard to make himself more of a threat next season. In turn, this will open up more driving lanes for him.

Defense:
-Thiero’s size, strength, and agility make him a versatile defender as a 4 that can switch and stay with guards on the perimeter
-Strong shot blocker, good anticipation and length to contest at the rim or off ball
-Has a lot of tools to become a strong defender, but struggled off-ball, sometimes out of position on rotations
-Aggressive in certain situations, but can be slow on close-outs or get caught ball watching
-Can get off balance when an offensive player makes a quick change of direction

Positional Fit:
-Thiero is a tantalizing player from the transfer portal given his late growth spurt and freshman to sophomore year jump.
-With his size, it is easy to see why he is getting NBA buzz for the future based on his potential. Potential can be a killer in college, and Thiero will need to make another leap as he continues to turn potential into production
-Size and strength make him an ideal replacement after Harrison Ingram’s recent departure
-Provides versatility at an important position and would still be able to come into his own offensively
-Outside shooting would be main focus point over the summer, while continuing to raise his motor on the defensive end
-Wide range of outcomes as a junior, in an ideal case Thiero steps into a starting role and continues his NBA draft trajectory playing 25+ minutes per game but not nearly as proven as an Ingram or Manek have been from a transfer perspective.

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:03 am

Hedge — The latest on Thiero is he’s going to go through the draft process. I hope this doesn’t drag out until the end of May. Either way, I hope we get him. Carolina hasn’t had an athlete like him with that size in a long time.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:51 am

eCat wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:05 am they are going to play good fundamental basketball
Translation: UK is back to playing a bunch of white guys
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:52 am

DooKSucks wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:51 am
eCat wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:05 am they are going to play good fundamental basketball
Translation: UK is back to playing a bunch of white guys
UK is definitely more Irish looking

actually 2 of the 5 commits are black , its that damn DEI
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:54 am

The Anti k* wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:03 am Hedge — The latest on Thiero is he’s going to go through the draft process. I hope this doesn’t drag out until the end of May. Either way, I hope we get him. Carolina hasn’t had an athlete like him with that size in a long time.

He is not ready for the NBA and will be told as much but coupled with a good PG he'll be a highlight reel
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:56 am

sardis wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:08 am I’m doing a post-retirement part-time gig in Clemson, SC, no affiliation with the school, about once or twice a week. Don’t know if this business will survive until 2026, though.
Now that the temperature is warmer, the campus scenery is quite nice.
Not sure where you fly in. Closest airport is an hour away and few direct flights there.
For as big as the college is, it’s surprising how little this town has. Lots of lakes, but not much else.
I don't know anything about it. We're actually more involved with the McNair center at South Carolina but our Senior VP is on a board at Clemson, hence...we're working with Clemson

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:18 pm

The Anti k* wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:03 am Hedge — The latest on Thiero is he’s going to go through the draft process. I hope this doesn’t drag out until the end of May. Either way, I hope we get him. Carolina hasn’t had an athlete like him with that size in a long time.
What Carolina player would you compare him to, AntiK? Or what Carolina player do you hope he'll compare to?

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:39 pm

hedge wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:18 pm
What Carolina player would you compare him to, AntiK? Or what Carolina player do you hope he'll compare to?
Hope: Jordan…heh

Realistically, he’s hard to pinpoint. Adou was a guard in high school that grew from 6’1” to 6’5” before enrolling at UK. Now, he’s said to be 6’8” and built like a PF. Maybe somewhere in between a Theo Pinson and a Nassir Little. I just want someone who can actually dunk an alley oop again.

You got any comparisons for him?

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:02 pm

From what little bit of video I have seen, I got the vibe of a slightly taller Theo who could be more productive offensively in the right situation.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:06 pm

"You got any comparisons for him?"

No, I haven't seen him play or heard anything about him until we showed interest in him in the portal. Hubie hasn't done too bad picking winners in the portal (primarily Manek and Ingram, but a few others as well), hope he continues on his trajectory of success with this kid...

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:58 pm

No, I haven't seen him play or heard anything about him
You could probably go ahead and macro that as your standard answer to any sports question anywhere.
"For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild, reckless abandon off the field and being that way on the field." - Lawrence Taylor

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:58 am

any player that starts out as a PG and moves to PF is gold

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:06 am

Grant Nelson (the big lanky xfer from North Dakota we got a couple of years back) is coming back for his senior year at Bama. He is center height but he does better playing the 4 spot. I hope Oats leaves him there.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:27 am

Hopefully Kentucky lands Brea who is a coin flip shooter

that would round out the team nicely

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:30 am

He cancelled his Duke trip and UConne signed the other kid. I think he’s a lock for UK.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:20 am

AlabamAlum wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:06 am Grant Nelson (the big lanky xfer from North Dakota we got a couple of years back) is coming back for his senior year at Bama. He is center height but he does better playing the 4 spot. I hope Oats leaves him there.
I hope he gets his knees broken by someone wielding a baseball bat.

I'm not bitter at all. Nope. Not me.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:21 am

AlabamAlum wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:30 am He cancelled his Duke trip and UConne signed the other kid. I think he’s a lock for UK.
That's what folks on IC who track such were saying about it.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:22 am

thought we'd hear about a commitment from Brea, but turns out it was Oklahoma St's Garrison.

probably has a little to do with them getting Aidoo yesterday but whatever, fuck 'em
Our Frontcourt is going to be pretty solid

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:01 pm

DooKSucks wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:20 am
AlabamAlum wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:06 am Grant Nelson (the big lanky xfer from North Dakota we got a couple of years back) is coming back for his senior year at Bama. He is center height but he does better playing the 4 spot. I hope Oats leaves him there.
I hope he gets his knees broken by someone wielding a baseball bat.

I'm not bitter at all. Nope. Not me.
Beating North Cackalacky has become quite the habit for Bama (at least the last two games). iirc, the head-to-head is now 6-7.
— Abraham Lincoln