Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

Bonfired
Freshman
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Houston Rockets - Hizzy's Hizouse

Post by Bonfired » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:25 pm

All things considered, Charlie Pallilo on 790 here in Houston is pretty good...his voice gets prepubescent at times when he gets really wound up, but he is not a provocateur like most of them. 610 in the afternoon has gotten ridiculous. About the only national guys I listen to are Mike & Mike and that is not very often.

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Hizzy III » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Even Charlie gets smarmy and self-rigtheous at times. But you're right, he's the one I can stomach the most out of any of them. 610 has some clown on with Rich Lord in the evening that shouldn't even be allowed to talk on the PA system at Wal*Mart much less on the public airwaves.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:00 pm

By the by... seems awfully quick to make its return. Just seven years.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ ... -star-game
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

Bonfired
Freshman

Post by Bonfired » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Charlie does like his $10 words, true enough, and I get tired of him pimping Syracuse at every turn, but compared to the rest of the dreck, he's the best we've got. That self-indulgent gasbag on the air with Rich Lord is Josh Innes...anybody that makes Rich look like the sensible one has to be terrible, and I like Rich personally.

It is entirely possible that the 2013 NBA All-Star game is the next one that occurs.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Speaking of Houston sports radio...

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2 ... eave-1560/

Frankly, 1560 suffers from having a crappy signal that you can't get more than six miles outside of Bellaire, so that's problem #1 for them. But when Lance decides it's time to go, all you've got is John Granato and a bunch of ho hum guys (plus the abominable Richard Justice).

They'll probably go full Latino radio within two years, I'm thinking.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Watched a replay of the '94 NBA western conference semi-final (Game 7) between the Rox and he Suns. I'd forgotten how much of an ill-tempered, dirty and thuggish player Charles Barkeley could be when things aren't going well. The fact that Danny Ainge wasn't suspended for his bullshit "throw in" in Game 3 is hilarious. Frankly, he should have been beaten down to his drawers for that weak, limp-wristed shit. That said,the Suns were fun to watch on offense. Just didn't play good enough defense and never had a big guy to help push them over the top.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Yeah, they've been running that game on NBATV all week. I never did tune in to watch it. I should.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:08 pm

So with the trade, who would be the starting 5 for the Rockets? I still don't get the trade, but perhaps from the Rocket point of view, there is something I missing (even if they do sign Nene)? Starting SF? Starting PG??
My Dad is my hero still.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:57 pm

So the NBA nicks the trade and now, according to Bill Simmons who was on Collin Cowherd this morning, both Darryl Morey and the GM for the Hornets are considering (or at least considered) resigning because of it.

This is a mess.

And now the Magic are apparently considering filling tampering charges against the Nets and Rockets with regard to Dwight Howard.

In lieu of this, I really need to see the Texans defense beat the shit out of a few people on Sunday.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:52 pm

The NBA is complete and utter garbage and has been for the last 15 years. I hope it burns to the ground.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:20 am

15 years... hmm... That'd be around 1996. Was that when the Pacers lost to the Bulls in the ECFs? I'm genuinely asking because I can't quite remember.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:34 am

Granted, this piece comes from a biased observer, but I haven't come across one person anywhere who doesn' think Stern is an asswipe for how he handled this.

http://blog.chron.com/nba/2011/12/damag ... the-trade/

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:57 am

Hizzy III wrote:15 years... hmm... That'd be around 1996. Was that when the Pacers lost to the Bulls in the ECFs? I'm genuinely asking because I can't quite remember.
97-98 season.

Other notes of garbage to the list:

Watching Dick Gray report from the parking garage about Shaq showing up mid-game against someone. Watching for the limo via WWF style.

L Johnson fanthom 4 point foul play in playoffs

Knicks going to the final the year Patrick Ewing helps end the strike.

Jordan up David Stern's ass the entire time.

Scottie Pippen on the all time top 50 NBA players list. (ok, that is arguable but still)

Cheating refs (knowing how to bet on a game because how certain refs call home games and calls against various players is complete and utter bullshit)

Lebron and the decision

Fuck Jordan and anyone that looks like him or played with him.

Again, garbage is garbage and as long as they make it about the players and not the basketball sport itself, it will continue to be just that.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:59 pm

Stern has been notoriously invisible since Thursday.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 am

Stern is hoping beyond hope that the Hornets can someway get a deal that looks close to the deal that was worked out..
My Dad is my hero still.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:37 am

The Rox at least keep trying. Marc Gasol would be a nice picup to add to the current roster but the Griz are obviously not going to just let him walk. The owner's already prepared to match the Rox's offer.

At this point, the Rox need all their young picks to really develop (Morris and so forth). Hopefully Montiejunas will develop into at least 70% of what Dirk is (and has been) for the Mavs, but that's hoping quite a bit--and then you need him to first find his way over here. He'll probably play in Europe two more years before he even thinks about coming to H-Tizzy.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:24 pm

I dont get this whole thing, you arent going to stop super teams while continuing to allow free agency. The way you fix this if you cant stomach trades that "appear" one sided is create a draft pick compensation process. You sign a superstar in free agency? You lose a draft pick to the other team. If your superstar wants out, you dont have to accept cap trash from the other team, you get a 1st round pick(s).
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:08 pm

If only NBA draft picks were as valuable as NFL draft picks...

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:10 pm

true

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:18 pm

The Rockets obviously won't suck this year and will probably make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed (especially with Brandon Roy in Portland supposedly retiring) but they're likely to tread water for the next few years. They really need some of these young guys like Morris and Montiejunas to be what they hope they can be. They also need to maximize these supposed assets that they're carrying. They're not really assets if you never use them.