Houston Rockets - Hizzy's Hizouse

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Re: Houston Rockets - Hizzy's Hizouse

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 pm

I think Al is legit & good big man quality (cues counterpost from Simitar).

He's not versatile and he only works from the post, but take it from a guy who has watched andrea bargnani launch 3's for years, that's not a bad thing
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 13, 2013 12:11 am

and the ball might move faster if guards were willing to repost
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 am

"Bynum has a lot to prove and is not worth the check."

I don't understand why some folks think Bynum is so great. Maybe I am wrong about that and nobody really does think he's that great, but that's the impression I get. I'm not saying he's on par with that Darko guy in terms of hype/"potential" vs. production, but he certainly doesn't strike me as having proved himself to be a $20 million a year type of guy, although somehow his agent has convinced some teams that he is...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 13, 2013 10:28 am

When he's healthy he is easily the 2nd best center in the league...and at many times he looks like the best player in the league.

If he didn't have the knee problems, he would have been worth every penny a max deal brings.

Dot

Maybe the issue with Al's ball stoppage is that wings/guards don't repost him, but in the absence of that I can only go by what I see. I see a black hole.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 am

I defer to you on all things NBA and certainly on a former Laker...

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 13, 2013 11:39 am

brook wrote:and at many times he looks like the best player in the league.
You just made me re-read this section and I realized I mistyped. He looks like the best CENTER in the league, at times. His offensive game is phenomenal. He protects the paint and is not a bad passer (he could use some work there).
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 am

That's what I took you to mean. Even I know that he's not the best player in the league by anybody's calculation...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 13, 2013 2:33 pm

hedge wrote:I defer to you on all things NBA and certainly on a former Laker...
Wow. He hasn't done that since he deferred to me back in 98 when his girlfriend wanted to have sex with me.

Nice job

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 pm

one more thing about Chris Paul's free agency, under the new CBA sign & trades are treated as if the player is signing with the new team, not the old one

that means they can no longer get the max amount of years & the highest raise percentage any longer like Bron/Bosh did

basically, if Paul is looking for max years with max raises he can only go one route, and that's to sign with the Clippers

just about every sports analyst out there has made an error on this :
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q89

89. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?

There is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:

The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.
The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 43).
Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade1, 2.
Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1
The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).
The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).
A sign-and-trade deal can be made with a free agent who has been renounced, as long as all the above criteria are met. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for at least three seasons (not including any option year) and no longer than four seasons. The first year of the contract must be fully guaranteed, but the remaining seasons can be non-guaranteed. The combination of a three-year minimum with a one-year guarantee ensures that the player's new team cannot acquire the player's Bird rights any sooner than if they had signed him directly (if they wanted to re-sign him in less than three years they would first have to waive him, and lose any Bird rights -- see question number 32).

The starting salary in a contract signed for a sign-and-trade may be any amount up to the player's maximum, however if the player meets the 5th Year 30% Max criteria (see question number 17) he cannot receive a salary greater than 25% of the cap. Raises are limited to 4.5%. The player may be considered to have a lower outgoing salary for trade purposes, which can complicate the trade (see question number 87).

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a signing bonus, then either team can pay it. By default the team that signs the player pays the signing bonus (as with any other contract), but since a sign-and-trade is in essence a contract with the receiving team, the teams can agree that the receiving team will pay it. Any portion that is paid by the signing team counts toward the team's annual limit for cash included in a trade (see question number 95), which in effect limits the portion of the signing bonus that can be paid by the signing team.

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a trade bonus, then the bonus is not earned upon the trade that accompanies the signing, but rather on the first subsequent trade. See question number 93 for more information on how long a team must wait before they can trade a player.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Fri May 17, 2013 4:03 am

T Dot O Dot wrote:I think Al is legit & good big man quality (cues counterpost from Simitar).

He's not versatile and he only works from the post, but take it from a guy who has watched andrea bargnani launch 3's for years, that's not a bad thing
Heh.

Al is almost a terrific low post scorer. He has great moves and he can really score around the basket. His problem is that he has 100 low post moves and all of them are designed to avoid contact. Over the final 2 months of the season he had 5 games with more than 20 FGAs - and he shot 5 FTs. Total.

It just kills his scoring efficiency, and he never gets his counterpart in foul trouble.

He has become a little better of a passer since landing in Utah, but he's still a really poor defender.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Fri May 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Don't like Al as a fit on this team. They need a banger with defensive capabilities. Like Howard because he would petrol the paint and can outlet. He still needs to improve his low post. He's also still young. Bynum at 2 years 10 million per? Maybe. Bynum anywhere close to a max? No way. No, no, no to Josh Smith. Milsap I like for the cost
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Fri May 24, 2013 7:23 pm

He would pour gas in the lane? Is that legal?
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Fri May 24, 2013 11:38 pm

only if he gets caught. They let the stars get away with anything. They'd never call it on Jordan.
My Dad is my hero still.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sat May 25, 2013 9:24 am

Heh

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Supposedly Howard has chosen the Rockets. Wonder what Hizzy would think. I don't thinks he's all that but then again, Im not that much of an NBA fan.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Jay A. Adande: "(the Lakers) and I think most of the people around the league wonder how he can leave the Lakers as a franchise to go to Houston."

Hmmmm. No state income taxes and housing prices 1/5 that of California to start.
My Dad is my hero still.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:11 pm

STFU JA

what a nonsense tweet, dude spews dumb shyt sometimes

i heard him on a podcast trying to argue that nothing in the NBA before Magic/Bird matters, it was just awful and he pretty much dismissed every player, record, accomplishment, etc.

dude is a clown

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:15 pm

and to clear cap space Houston traded Royce White to Philly

Wow, the Sixers aren't even trying to pretend next year, Royce White? I guess he will be the chief lieutenant TANK commander

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:53 am

Yeah, my 215ers are going hard for Wiggins.

I'm glad Howard is gone. I'm just not that impressed with him, first of all. Second, I'm glad Jim Buss got smacked in the face by this. Why would Howard stay with D'Antoni as his coach? It was a smart move to make, going to Houston. Kobe telling him that he should stay in LA and he (Kobe) will "teach him" how to be a champion. I love the rings he brings, but his hubris is almost comical because I don't think he sees it in himself.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:27 am

Don't be fooled by the rocks that he's got, he's just Kobe from the block...