Houston Rockets - Hizzy's Hizouse

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

sotola
Sophomore

Re: Houston Rockets - Hizzy's Hizouse

Post by sotola » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Honestly, it was probably a really good deal, as far as nba trades go. Both sides got something of value and I really think Houston almost HAD to make the deal. I just still am not sold on Harden as one of the main guys. If they do land a legitimate stud with the money available, it might work out. I just think he made a mistake not accepting a few mill less to stay with OKC.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:19 pm

I don't. I think he wins off of this and OKC did well with the deal (granted Martin stays healthy), too. Harden is for real.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Martin's efficiency is off the charts, overall OKC's offensive output is increased from last season
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:13 pm

The issue has never been O with Martin. It's been health (I don't know if he's ever cracked 70 games in any season the last 3 years) and D.

If OKC can keep him healthy, they look right for a good post season. They may not get a key stop with him out there, but the ball goes in the hoop.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Ibaka has been the difference with OKC imo which is why I think Harden will eventually regret it. He could have been a guy much like Ibaka who makes an already impressive line up THAT MUCH better. It isn't a glorious role but I don't think Rodman hates the 6 rings he has. He might wish he knew how to keep his money but that's a different discussion.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Martin played 80 games last year for Houston

the year prior he missed half the season
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:23 pm

T Dot O Dot wrote:Martin's efficiency is off the charts, overall OKC's offensive output is increased from last season
I think OKC's offensive improvement has a lot more to do with the huge jumps so far by Ibaka and Sefolosha than from going from Harden to Martin.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Have to admit, the Rockets are a lot better a lot faster than I thought they would be. Harden turns out actually is a max year player and Lin is better than I thought. And this without any of their 3 2012 first round picks contributing (Jeremy Lamb was part of the trade for Harden of course while Terrence Jones is in the D-League and Royce White is suspended). Even signing all of their team options for next year, they'll still be at least 16 million under the cap for next year. They won't have a draft pick but they'll be able to go after a big free agent if they want probably a PF that can run, rebound and outlet with a little post-up game, if their is such a thing
My Dad is my hero still.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Yeah, they look solid, in contrast to my Lakers who are a mess.

While I think a big part is that Jimmy Buss made a wrong move making a personal decision and going away from Phil Jackson...so this is a bit of a karmic turn. I place most of the blame on David Stern, though. If he did not void the CP3 trade, we would have him and Dwight on the team...and the D'Antoni fiasco never would have happened.

If I see that short, ball of a man on Fifth Ave I'm gonna take a swing at him.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Thank God we have Harden and not Pau.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I think Pau would have been good for you guys...granted you had Harden, too. Pau is a lot better than he is playing right now. He's not in an offense that allows him to be in the post. D'Antoni is an idiot and a joke.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun May 05, 2013 10:49 am

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 am

I suspect the Rockets may try to get a special provision on White's salary. I doubt he plays for an NBA team in his career. He's overplayed the sympathy card, imo.
My Dad is my hero still.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun May 05, 2013 10:58 am

Yep. It was a swing for the fences to draft him, but it's time to end that relationship. His problems go beyond anxiety.

It's funny, though, as an aside, he has hinted that his problems were exacerbated by a one-time smoking of marijuana.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Sun May 05, 2013 11:11 am

perhaps synthetic marijuana. There was a discussion on that on E:60 program about the Auburn football team. I didn't understand just how bad that it could be.
My Dad is my hero still.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun May 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Anybody else know any one who smoked ganja once & then became afraid of flying?

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun May 05, 2013 4:07 pm

None, but that's not technically his issue. It's acute anxiety and paranoia. I think it was always there & then heightened after a bit of good green. No way was it the cause of his problems.

Bonfired
Freshman
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Bonfired » Sun May 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Always thought it was ironic that the Rockets drafted a guy who is afraid to fly.

The big man group that is available this off-season is kind of sketchy...the best ones that are UFAs are Howard, Bynum, Jefferson, Millsap and Josh Smith. Jefferson probably has the best combination of reliability and signability if Houston decides to go after him. He can score in the low block, which is something the Rockets pretty much didn't have this season, and he would get lots of opportunities because Harden is a willing passer. Millsap wouldn't be a bad option, either, but I'd prefer Al if given a choice.

Bynum will likely be asking for a max deal and a team would be foolish to give him one...if he's open to taking a "show us you can still play and THEN look for big $$" short-term deal, then he'd be worth looking at, but his knucklehead tendencies are a concern.

Howard and Smith are going to be after max deals and I don't trust either one of them long-term...Howard would provide shot-blocking and rebounding, but the dude is a soap opera waiting to happen. A young team doesn't need that. Josh Smith is a big man who fancies himself a 3-point shooter (under 30% for his career and he's jacked up nearly 1000). If he could be convinced to concentrate on scoring down low, block shots and do other "non-option 1" thinks, then maybe he'd work, but I'm not convinced.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun May 12, 2013 6:50 pm

SHE TOLD YOU!!!!

BITCHES !!!!

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun May 12, 2013 10:06 pm

Wouldn't touch Big Al with a ten foot pole. Offenses stall with him on the court. Howard isn't leaving LA. Millsap is solid and would probably do very well with Harden and Parsons. If any logical signings happen, that would be the way to go.

Bynum has a lot to prove and is not worth the check. J Smooth does not play to his strengths and after all these years it officially signals to me that he is dumb. If he'll take a workable deal, you do it, but don't expect him to much more than break even with games that piss you off and ones that make you want to run out and buy his jersey.