The Detroit Pistons- Someday, we will rise again!

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

tin mad dog
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan

Re: The Detroit Pistons- Someday, we will rise again!

Post by tin mad dog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:21 pm

That said, Frank is really annoying me with some of his rotations. For the most part, he's refused to play Drummond and Monroe together. When they are out there together, they've been very successful.

This past Friday was a shining example. Drummond was playing well, blocked a few shots, altered a few more. That said, Frank puts Maxiell back in with a few minutes left in the 4th and the Nets come back and send the game into OT. Drummond doesn't play at all in either of the OT's, despite the Nets getting a lot of key offensive rebounds. Max has had a good year but the bulk of his production comes in the 1st quarter. I just think he had to put Drummond in for some defensive help at some point. He did the same thing in the 4th against the Pacers last night.

I guess this all adds up to a higher lottery pick (and they seem to be one 20 PPG scorer away from being a regular playoff team) but there have been maybe as many as 10 games this year that Detroit has had the lead in the 4th and blown it. Part of that is due to Frank being stuck in his substitution patterns.

At this point, Drummond should be playing at least 25 MPG, with 10-15 of those minutes being paired with Monroe.
More likely to be at http://detroitpistonsforum.com or http://www.detroitlionsforum.com/forums/ but I'll pop in every now and again.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:50 pm

re - but there have been maybe as many as 10 games this year that Detroit has had the lead in the 4th and blown it

Wow, Toronto and Detroit aren't that far apart at all. I can only recall about 5 games that the Raps HAVEN'T led in the 4th quarter and we have exactly 6 wins to show for it.

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Both teams need a closer.....and maybe a coach that knows that you can sub guys in for D from time to time.
More likely to be at http://detroitpistonsforum.com or http://www.detroitlionsforum.com/forums/ but I'll pop in every now and again.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 am

Coffee is for closers...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Coffee sucks.

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:08 pm

After a nice holiday weekend comprised of back-to-back blowouts of the Wiz (a truly bad, baaad, team), reality crept back in last night against the Hawks. The Pistons bench made a great comeback from a 22 point deficit late in the 3rd quarter to take the lead with 4 seconds left but lost in double-OT. Still no coffee.

That said, here's a nice write up regarding the Big Pup, Andre Drummond. He had 16 points, 14 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block last night.
By Vince Ellis
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

ATLANTA -- Andre Drummond claims he isn't aware of the contention he is causing between Pistons coach Lawrence Frank and the fans and media.

As he walked through Philips Arena on Wednesday morning, Drummond said he didn't know anything about fans clamoring for more playing time from the rookie center from UConn.

But even if was aware, Drummond said he is in full agreement with being brought along slowly.

"Who wouldn't want to play more?" he said. "If you love the sport, you love to play, but it just isn't my time.

"I'm a rookie, they're trying to ease my way in and I like what they're doing with me so far in terms of me being prepared for what I need to do. I'm just really excited about that."

Drummond has seen his playing time inch upward. Before Wednesday night's game against the Hawks, he averaged 21.1 minutes per game over the last 10 -- a slight increase over his 18.8 average for the year. His performance is forcing more minutes from Frank.

Drummond played 36 minutes in the Pistons' 126-119 double-overtime loss to Atlanta.

But the minutes are not coming fast enough for many who cite certain advanced stats which say he is one of the best rookies in the league.

"I really don't read the papers or any of the blogs that people write about me," Drummond said. "I just worry about my teammates and my coaching staff that I have here. They're putting my in position to get the best out of me on the floor. I'm happy with where I'm at."

STEADY PRINCE:
Tayshaun Prince, who started against the Hawks despite the sprained right ankle he suffered against the Wizards on Saturday, is turning in his typical steady season. His scoring is slightly down from last season, but his shooting percentages and rebounding stats are up -- so one could make a case that he has been one of the top three Pistons so far.

His steady play and professionalism will probably attract the attention of title contenders as the Feb. 21 trade deadline approaches.

Contact Vince Ellis: 313-222-6479 or vellis@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @vincent_ellis56.

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:42 pm

The Hype Machine is starting:
Is Andre Drummond better than Dwight Howard?

By revken on Jan 1, 5:36p81

Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports

Back before the regular season began, I posted an article that discussed how Andre Drummond’s play as a rookie might compare to how Dwight Howard performed in his first season (2004-05). At that point all we had to go on for comparisons was Drummond’s preseason play (9 points and 5.9 rebounds in 16.5 minutes per game). While he was impressive, we couldn’t be confident about how well any of those numbers would translate into the regular season. But for his first 17 games (Oct. – Nov.) Drummond’s playing time was about the same (17 mpg), and he posted slightly over 6 points and 6 boards an outing.
Before we look at his play in December, let’s pause to compare Drummond’s early stats to Dwight Howard’s performance. Howard became the first player in NBA history to come directly from high school and start all 82 games of his rookie year. He’s also the youngest player to ever average a double-double (12 points and 10 rebounds). He achieved those marks logging 32.6 minutes per game. That level of playing time is very unusual for such a young big man. Of all the 19 year old rookie bigs who have been top 10 picks since 2001, the only ones who have averaged over 30 mpg are Howard, Chris Bosh and Anthony Davis.
For 2004-05, Howard’s Per36 rookie numbers were 13.2 points and 11.1 rebounds. By comparison, Drummond’s Per36 numbers through November were 12.8 points and 12.7 rebounds. So Andre was already more productive per minute than Howard. Still, I think most of us would agree that we can’t project that Per36 stats will always hold up with more playing time. The only sure test is to see how a player actually produces when their playing time increases.
Fortunately, we have seen increased playing time for Drummond in December. He averaged 22 minutes per game for the month. While all of us would like to see him play even more, this is a significant increase of 5 mpg over his first month. So how has his productivity held up with the increased playing time? It’s gone up! For December, Drummond’s Per36 averages were 13 points and 13.5 caroms! Given that his actual production for December was over 8 points and 8 boards per game, it’s not unreasonable to think that he can start averaging a double-double if his playing time gets up to 27-28 minutes per game.
It’s unlikely that Drummond will finish the season with Howard’s 12 & 10 averages, because he’d have to average 15 & 12 from here on out. It’s doubtful that he’ll get enough playing time or offensive touches to produce points at that level. The rebounding total is more within his reach, because Drummond has been more effective on the glass than Howard was as a rookie.
In my preseason post, I looked at how consistently Howard played for the Magic in 2004-05 by separating out his 16 best performances from his 16 worst ones. Here is how those games compare with his overall stats:

Games Minutes Rebounds Reb./Per36 Points Pts./Per36
All 82 32.6 10.0 11.1 12.0 13.2
Best 16 36.1 14.2 14.2 18.9 18.8
Worst 16 30.0 6.4 7.7 6.4 7.7
Best/Worst Diff. -6.1 -7.8 -6.5 -12.5 -11.1

Now let’s do the same with Drummond’s play to date – dividing his first 33 games into the top 16 and the bottom 16 (I’ve intentionally omitted his first game in which he played only 6 minutes), and comparing them with his overall stats:

Games Minutes Rebounds Reb./Per36 Points Pts./Per36
All 33 19.5 7.1 13.1 7.0 13.0
Best 16 23.0 9.7 15.2 9.9 15.5
Worst 16 16.8 4.8 10.3 4.5 9.6
Best/Worst Diff. -6.2 -4.9 -4.9 -5.4 -5.9

What stands out to me is that playing time is what mostly separates Drummond’s "best" performances from his "worst." Per36, his best averages are 15.2 rebounds and 15.5 points. That production is certainly close to Howard’s bests of 18.8 and 14.2. But when you compare the Per36 averages for their worst 16 games, Drummond remains at a respectable level of 10.3 boards and 9.6 points. Whereas Howard’s averages dip to 7.7 rebounds and 7.7 points.
The biggest edge in production for Drummond is in rebounding. Since this was the area we were most concerned about going into the season, Pistons fans have to be especially encouraged. Again comparing their rookie years, Howard’s Total Rebound Percentage was 17.3%; Drummond’s is 20.7%. When we compare their Offensive Rating, Howard’s was 111; Drummond is at 115. Defensive Rating? Howard’s was 104; Drummond is 98. For Win Shares/48, Howard was .131; Drummond is at .185.
Based on their statistical production, I think a strong argument can be made that Andre Drummond is a better player than Dwight Howard was as a rookie. If the Pistons did not already have an accomplished starting center in Monroe, Drummond would certainly be starting. If he’d been selected by any of the teams that drafted prior to the Pistons nabbed him at #9, Drummond would probably already be their starting center. Like it or not, we Pistons fans will have to be patient waiting for the inevitable. But what has become increasingly clear is that when it comes to the original hype that Andre Drummond was a Dwight Howard-like talent, he IS as good (if not better) than advertised.

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:16 pm

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 pm

The Force was not with them last night. It was pretty sad that they played well against Miami and Atlanta and then cheese one against the 'cats.

Drummond was still pretty good with 10 points, 6 boards and 3 blocks.

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:46 am

Andre Drummond is quickly becoming the worst-kept secret in the NBA.

Thought to be a project when he was drafted ninth overall by the Detroit Pistons, Drummond has exceeded even the most optimistic expectations.
Plain and simple, Drummond has been one of the top three rookies this year and has arguably the most upside of anyone in this draft class.

Slipped through the cracks

So how did Drummond fall to Detroit with the ninth overall pick?
Heading into this past year's draft, there were plenty of questions surrounding Drummond. Nobody doubted his athleticism nor his freakish size.
There were three major concerns about Drummond.
One, he never dominated the competition in college. True, the Connecticut Huskies offense was mainly a perimeter-oriented squad that often placed Drummond outside of the play. Additionally, legendary head coach Jim Calhoun was sidelined much of the year, effectively diminishing the quality of coaching that Drummond received.

But overall, Drummond had a slightly disappointing season with Connecticut. He averaged only 10 points and just over seven boards per game while blocking a respectable two-and-a-half shots per game.
Two, he didn't always show a strong motor in college. His body language was often lacking and he was easily taken out of the game. He would show flashes of greatness one minute, but then you would forget he was on the court for the next five minutes.
Three, Drummond's offensive game showed a severe lack of instincts. He didn't have even the beginnings of an effective post game, he often avoided contact when "crashing" the boards and he relied too much on his athleticism when blocking shots.
He looked like a raw player who would take years to develop, if he could be developed at all.
There were fears from many (myself included) that he could potentially be a bust if drafted too high and placed in the wrong system.
As a result, plenty of teams that drafted ahead of Detroit that had obvious needs in the frontcourt avoided Drummond.

A Joe Dumars kind of guy
Drummond is exactly the type of player that team president Joe Dumars seems to always covet. He likes it when players are castoffs or have been given up on. When players have question marks attached to their names, Dumars rarely is deterred.
Many times, this backfires. Charlie Villanueva was viewed as a lazy malcontent before coming to Detroit and he has only recently done anything to beat down that assessment.
However, in some cases this has yielded success. The entire starting lineup of the Pistons' title squad in 2004 was composed of castoffs and question marks.

So when it was time to make his selection at No. 9, it was a no-brainer.
Sure, the Pistons could have gone with a guy like Austin Rivers who could develop into a star guard, or a more proven commodity like Tyler Zeller or John Henson.
But Dumars decided to go with the high-risk/high-reward Drummond.
So far, that selection appears to be a brilliant one and a pick that could bring the Pistons back to respectability in the near future.

Production is astounding
Let's take a look at Drummond's production. Drummond is currently ranked 13th in the league in blocks, 17th in offensive rebounds per game, 33rd in overall rebounds and once he qualifies would be in the top three in field goal percentage.
Additionally (although I am not a huge fan of this statistic) he is 15th in the league in player efficiency.
OK, so you have absorbed those statistics. Pretty impressive, huh?

Now get ready to have your mind blown. Drummond has done all of the above despite ranking 171 in the league in minutes per game at a meager 19.7.
The best way to assess how impressive Drummond's production has been is to measure his stats over 36 minutes.
If you extend his minutes to 36 per game (the same as Dwight Howard), he would be averaging 13 points, 13.3 rebounds and three blocks per game.
That rebound production would put him behind only Kevin Love and Anderson Varejao, that block production would put him second in the league behind only Larry Sanders and even his steals production of 1.5 would put him just outside of the top 20 in the league.
Those numbers would not just be All-Star caliber, but perhaps even All-NBA third team worthy.

Offensively, Drummond still has a long way to go. He doesn't have a ton of instincts on the low block and his jump shot has an incredibly low release point that could lead to problems down the road.
But what he lacks in offensive prowess he makes up for with exciting rim-rattling dunks. When he gets the ball near the hoop he is thinking one thing: dunk.

He also has been exceptional at offensive rebound put-backs and alley-oops.

Defensively, he already is the Pistons' best post defender. He is such an amazingly quick jumper that he can block nearly every shot in the post.
His rebounding has been perhaps the most stunning development thus far. He already is averaging nearly what he did in college in nearly 10 fewer minutes per game.
Overall, Drummond could not be playing any better.

Minutes will come
So why isn't Drummond playing more minutes? That seems to be the million-dollar question around Detroit and the league in general.

The easy answer is that the minutes will come, but he needs to earn them in the eyes of his coach. Lawrence Frank still prefers to start Jason Maxiell next to Greg Monroe, although the reasoning continues to be flawed.

Drummond is outperforming Maxiell in every category except for points per game, which Maxiell leads eight points to just over seven—hardly a commanding lead.
Maxiell is also playing over six minutes more per game.

But Frank won't be able to keep Drummond on the bench for long, especially if the talented rookie continues to play as well as he has been.

The fact of the matter is that Drummond's production warrants nearly unlimited playing time, something that is sure to happen in the years to come.
The future is truly bright in Detroit, and Drummond is the reason.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1486 ... it-pistons

ESPN ripped this article a few days later for Insider.[/QUOTE]

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:44 am

I have watched a couple D games this year. The kid is playing well, but I haven't seen him dominate a stretch of clock yet.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:34 pm

He's dominated defensively. He is still quite limited on O.

I hope the Pistons' brass does the right thing and pays to send him to Hakeem every summer.

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm

For January (in just over 21 minutes a game), The Big Pup is averaging 9.6 points (69% FG), 8.4 rebounds and 2.3 blocks. He had 16/7/1 in last night's win over the Celtics.

He also pops up in these rankings, according to basketballreference.com:

Offensive Rebound Pct
2012-13 NBA 16.4 (2)

Total Rebound Pct
2012-13 NBA 21.0 (5)

Block Pct
2012-13 NBA 6.5 (6)

Offensive Rating
2012-13 NBA 118.7 (10)

Defensive Rating
2012-13 NBA 96.7 (6)

Win Shares Per 48 Minutes
2012-13 NBA .209 (7)

My hopes of him averaging DeAndre Jordan numbers this year are slowly edging toward being exceeded.

The Pistons still have major holes but Andre is the silver lining. He makes the games worth watching.

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Miami whooped Detroit pretty badly last night. LeBron and Wade were at their best, which is fun to watch, from an objective point of view.. What was also fun to watch was Drummond steal the ball twice in a row from Wade when they were matched up in open space.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... experience

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 pm

You're getting close to making me a believer...
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:08 am

Andre Drummond wasted no time recording a double-double

By Seth Rosenthal on Jan 29, 8:40p1
Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports

Andre Drummond, as you surely know, is quite the dynamic rebounder and finisher, but as a rookie, plays relatively few minutes for Lawrence Frank's Pistons. When you're in a position like that, you've gotta get your numbers quickly, and that's exactly what Drummond's been doing tonight against the Bucks.

Drummond checked in with about five minutes left in the first quarter and by the seven-minute mark of the second, had recorded a double-double. Gobbling every available rebound and scoring tirelessly around the rim (including a vicious one-handed tip-dunk) got him 12 points and 10 rebounds in a shade over ten minutes. Detroit's second unit needed that kind of ridiculous production, too, as they let a big lead slip away against a Bucks bench lead by Mike Dunleavy.
Drummond has 12 and 11 at halftime, including six o-bounds. He might have 20/20 in his sights, you know, if he plays more minutes.

Incidentally, the fewest minutes played in a double-double game (at least in Basketball-Reference's database) came from David Robinson, who dropped 10 and 11 in just twelve minutes of play in 2002. That doesn't answer our question of least time to reach a double-double, though. Drummond must be close.

tin mad dog
Sophomore

Post by tin mad dog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 am

It was a shame that the rest of the team was god awful. The bucks rolled the Pistons shortly after Andre got the double-double. Andre wound up with 18 points, 18 boards, 1 block, 1 assist and 2 steals in about 27 minutes.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 am

I was about to come in here and post "great game, bad team" but you beat me to the punch.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 pm

3 NBA centers have 70-plus blocks, 40-plus steals: Joakim Noah (93,56), Marc Gasol (81,43), Andre Drummond (72,40).

Noah has played 1660 min this year. Gasol has played 1520 min.

Drummond has done it in 879 min, nearly half the time.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Memphis robbed LA blind.