Toronto Raptors - We can't be pathetic forever, can we?

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Toronto Raptors - We can't be pathetic forever, can we?

Post by aTm » Sat May 21, 2011 12:44 am

Shouldn't this be the Toronto Raptures thread?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sat May 21, 2011 7:32 pm

according to everything I've seen so far, it's Knight then Kemba

that's our draftboard so far, with the obvious assumption Irbing & Williams go 1 & 2 and Kanter is taken 3rd or 4th
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 am

I am also glad to hear Kanter doesn't want to play here. Some of the scouting reports seem intriguiging but almost all scouting reports typically are.

I would prefer to base it on what I have personally seen. I am not overly impressed with anyone in the draft but I would rather gamble on Walker/Knight as well.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 am

Unfortunately it appears that Kanter is "recanting"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... =nba_wr_a2

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun May 29, 2011 4:08 pm

I've just found my second crush of this draft

Alec Burks from Colorado

This kid has Brandon Roy (minus the kness) written all over him

my personal draft board at the 5th spot:

1. Knight

2. Burks

3. Kemba
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Mon May 30, 2011 4:12 am

I like Burks a lot, but he strikes me as a bad fit with DeRozan - as neither guy can shoot.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 30, 2011 7:18 pm

Best news I've heard all day, all the mocks have Knight going to Utah

this news hopefully means they go for size
Jazz general manager Kevin O’Connor said Utah is preparing for the draft with the idea that veteran center Mehmet Okur might not return to action.

“What we’re planning on with Memo is to have him back and have him healthy,” O’Connor said. “How long it takes him to get back and into the flow of things, I don’t know. But you prepare for the worst, and you hope for the best.”

Okur is making progress during his rehabilitation and is expected to be in Salt Lake City by mid-June.
Via Brian T. Smith/Salt Lake Tribune

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1NsfFLGjl

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Mon May 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Unless they plan on moving Al, it seems like with Jefferson, Milsap and Favors, they already have a lot of size.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 pm

Traino out, according to rumours

I personally hope we go all defense, but I hope they dont promote Carlesimo

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:32 pm

SpearsNBAYahoo

Raps decline option on coach Jay Triano for next season. Triano will be retained as a special assistant to the president and GM.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:57 am

I gotta admit it's a little surprising they dumped Triano. The team definitely sucked defensively but until recently, we didn't have anyone that "tried" to flourish on the defensive end. and now, the guys that don't mind playing tough D (Evans and the Johnsons) simply aren't that great. This team did not, and will not, have the horses to be a great defensive team next season without trades. that's on BC, not Triano. and with the lockout coming, I would have thought it would be a lot cheaper just to keep him on for another half season. now they pay a new head coach (not to coach) and a special assistant salary.... sounds sort of dumb

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:06 am

Maybe they save money? Their not picking up an option means they don't have to pay money owed to him as a coach, doesn't it? And if there's a lockout, they could go in with no coach to pay. Either way, I'm glad.

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:48 am

The NBA is fake. Fake I tell you, fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:44 am

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/b ... le2055376/

I like Barbosa but if our payroll was only about 40M (after signing the draft pick), that would be a ton of cap space heading into the new CBA. I don't think we would be successful signing anyone but we definitely could pick up something decent through a trade ..... especially if they make it a hard cap and team's need to offload someone.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Hope the Pistons don't trump us on Casey

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:37 pm

Whenever an old coach is re-hired in the NBA, Nate McMillan knows what Dwane Casey will be doing.

“Paul Silas, who comes to mind, left the NBA for a few years and then he takes the job in Charlotte this year,” McMillan, the Portland Trail Blazers’ head coach, said in an interview on Thursday. “I immediately thought about Casey because I know he went to his garage and got his notes on Paul Silas and what he was running and his calls and had them for [Dallas head coach] Rick Carlisle this year when they played them.”

Casey might be bringing that sort of work ethic to Toronto. After interviewing with the Raptors, the 54-year-old Dallas assistant has emerged as the favourite to be named the coach early next week, according to ESPN reporter Marc Stein. Lawrence Frank, the longtime Nets coach who served as Doc Rivers’ assistant last year, is also being considered.

Casey does not necessarily have all of the experience Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo talked about when he made the decision to move Jay Triano from head coach to consultant more than two weeks ago, but his résumé has become more formidable. He was the defensive guru on Carlisle’s staff, credited with helping to render LeBron James meek in the NBA Finals.

He was a head coach in Minnesota for two years from 2005-07, fired when the Timberwolves started his second season 20-20. (They plummeted after his departure.) And he has worked under a series of the game’s top coaches, from Carlisle to George Karl to McMillan. Both men worked under Paul Westphal in Seattle, before McMillan took over for the fired coach.

“When I came on as an assistant in my first year, he had been an assistant for our team for a few years,” McMillan said. “I started just observing the things that he did. He was well prepared for the meetings. He keeps everything that he ever writes down.

“He totally understands how to communicate with players and understands all aspects of the game: preparation, travel, everything.”

Casey has seemed like a hot candidate for several jobs, to the point where he has started to gain a reputation as a perpetual runner-up.

He lost out to his old boss in Minnesota, Kevin McHale, for the Houston job this summer, when the Rockets were unwilling to wait for the Mavericks’ playoff run to end. He is also believed to be a candidate for Detroit’s vacancy.

“It has surprised me because I think that he is a guy that is prepared. He’s ready for the opportunity,” McMillan said. “He just needs someone to give him that opportunity and to trust him. He had that opportunity in Minnesota. That team was winning. They decided to go in a different direction. I don’t think they were all on the same page as far as ownership, coaching and management.”

Defence and Casey are inextricably linked. The Mavericks held opponents to just 102.3 points per 100 possessions, seventh best in the league. That was believed to be impossible for a while with the slow Dirk Nowitzki at power forward and an aging Jason Kidd at point guard. In Toronto, he would figure to have even greater defensive albatrosses than Nowitzki and Kidd in the forms of Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani.

However, McMillan has no shortage of belief that McMillan could thrive anywhere.

“To me, he is really like [Chicago coach] Tom Thibodeau,” McMillan said. “I think he can do some similar things. I think that’s a good person to compare him to because they just won a title. Head coaches don’t win them by themselves. Your assistants, they play a big part as well as the players and the whole organization. Tom Thibodeau is a guy, like Casey, who was in the wings waiting for an opportunity like that.”

Thibodeau paid off for the Bulls, leading them to the Eastern Conference’s best record, earning coach of the year honours along the way. He came to them after a three-year run working as an assistant to Doc Rivers in Boston, where they won a title in 2008 and went to the final in 2010.
Casey does not come with the same guarantee of instant success. If the Raptors opted to hire him, though, the club would certainly not be shortchanged.

“He is a basketball man. That guy lives and breathes coaching in the NBA,” McMillan said. “For a long time he wasn’t married and didn’t want to get married because he was so committed to this game. Just recently he tied the knot, which I didn’t think he would do. I guess he felt he was getting older and needed to do that.”

Indeed, when the opportunity comes along, you have to take it.

• Email: ekoreen@nationalpost.com | Twitter: @ekoreen

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:20 pm

LOL @ the marriage part.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:09 pm

Various media outlets around Toronto are reporting that Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Dwayne Casey will likely become the Toronto Raptors new head coach.

Casey's role in orchestrating the Mavericks defense of Miami in the NBA Finals may have pushed him ahead of Lawrence Frank, the other finalist and an assistant coach for the Boston Celtics. The Raptors, who finished last in the league in defensive efficiency, are looking to significantly improve on that side of the ball.

Casey has previous head-coaching experience in Minnesota, where he compiled a 53-69 record in the 2006 and 2007 seasons.
Via CBC Sports

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1PfU7A9GO

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:34 am

I said this in another other thread, but this is a great hire.

Casey is incredibly classy, smart and ultra prepared. Stresses defense and works well with young kids. Dude got Mark Blount to play hard, rebound and play defense.

He got absolutely hosed by Garnett and Ricky Davis in Minny. Torpedoed.

I was hoping we'd dump the dipshit Rambis, and hire him again.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:58 am

I like Casey as well. We need a tougher presence as a coach. Someone the players can try and emulate

As for tonight, I don't think we end out keeping our pick. I foresee a trade.... been too quite in Raptor land.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Big V. to Toronto.

My 2nd favorite player in the draft.