Toronto Raptors - We can't be pathetic forever, can we?

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Re: Toronto Raptors - We can't be pathetic forever, can we?

Post by T Dot O Dot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:17 pm

cant say I know alot about him, but I am less than enamoured?

arent there buyout issues?

im less than enamoured
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Dude is a monster. Rebounder, shotblocker, very physical player. A bit raw on offense (but shot 92% from the line, so he has skills).

Has a chance to become a dominant 2-way center.

Buyout may keep him in Europe for one year.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 pm

timpchisholm Tim Chisholm

Colangelo has balls of steel. Literally. Another Euro big with questionable defense? Wow.
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:48 pm

But I thought this guy was supposed to be all about defense? Isn't his offense more of a question mark?

I'm not sure what to think about this pick. The guy may be staying another year but there IS an impending lockout so who knows what's gonna happen. It may end up being a non-issue. Well, at least, we could be in for another high pick next draft and we know we still need more young talent.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:15 pm

BC says in his press conference that he had a deal on the table to move down if Jonas was gone

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:21 pm

heh

Joseph & Thompson both go in the 1st round... good to see local talent step up, both picks surprised the hell out of me

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:39 pm

yossarian1234 wrote:But I thought this guy was supposed to be all about defense? Isn't his offense more of a question mark?
He is. His only problems on defense are he needs to get stronger (but he's got the frame to add weight) and he's so aggressive, he fouls too much.

Great pick.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:17 am

Yeah, he's a good pick long term but I was hoping to moderately improve next year... IF there is a season.

I wonder if this pick was just about writing off next season entirely and getting a high draft pick in a draft class that will have less question marks.

Valuncius probably won't play in the NBA next year BUT WILL play in Europe which could be a huge benefit if there is a lockout. It won't cost the raps squat but their draft pick gets another year to develop.

The kid does look good on the video that I have seen. He doesn't play soft despite not having the frame to play tough.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am

If he would have played last year at a big US college, he would've easily been in consideration for the #1 pick.

This kid is everything that Bargnanni isn't.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:25 pm

don't disagree with you Simitar (based on what I have seen which I admit isn't a ton)..... but we already have a designated fouler in Amir. : )

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Hizzy III » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 pm

As a Texas fan, I cringe at the Cavs taking Tristan Thompson that high. They're gonna have to wait (and I mean really wait) for any sign of an offensive game from him. His makes Shaq's game look as diversified as Brook's stock portfolio. Granted, the same things were said about Greg Oden (injury-prone) and Dwight Howard (Superman) but still...

As for Jan, my only real concern about him his weight. 224-lb seven footers don't suggest to have particularly good anchors either offensively or defensively.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:44 pm

Yeah, Thompson, to me, was an absolute shock. Obviously it's great for Canadian basketball to have 2 first rounders (with a likely PG first rounder next year) but I think that's way too high forhim.

I did like how V's lack of English skills came across as a great diss on Bosh. Mark Jones - so some people liken you to Chris Bosh? Why do you think you are like Chris Bosh? .... in broken English... "I don't know because I am not that big or tough right now."

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Tristan went head to head against Derrick Williams in his Cavs workout and owned him

apparently that won the Cavs over

I was shocked myself, I expected Tristan in the mid 1st & Cojo in the early 2nd

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Hizzy III » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Wow, that is suprising. Good for Tristan, though. Not hatin' on him (he is a Longhorn, after all), just familiar with what his struggles have been and will be.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:42 pm

DraftExpress Jonathan Givony
Just informed that Jonas Valanciunas' buyout was officially agreed upon & signed this afternoon. He'll be free to sign with Toronto in 2012.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:03 pm

some major shenanigans taking place

rumours are flying around that Cleveland was scared off by Jonas' buyout, which was played up as a MUCH bigger deal than it really was by Leon Rose... Jonas' agent (who is also Bron's agent)

it appears that the terms of Jonas' buyout were incorrectly stated to the Cavaliers... meanwhile we drafted him and made a deal the next day

things could get ugly

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:54 pm

Well, they can't redo the draft so what can they do? Cavs themselves were rewarded with #1 AND #4 picks under very suspect circumstances, at least to me.

Anyway, it changes nothing. Everybody knew he was staying a year in Europe and it looks like he is if he'll sign in 2012.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:33 pm

yossarian1234 wrote: Anyway, it changes nothing. Everybody knew he was staying a year in Europe and it looks like he is if he'll sign in 2012.
Right. Anyone with the internet, twitter or a bookmark to DraftXpress knew going in that Jonas would sit out next year, but it looked VERY likely that his buyout would allow him to come in 2012.

All the stories leading up to the draft were that CLE wanted him, but didn't want to wait the year.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:03 pm

not exactly true

He's under a three year deal & the buyout Toronto signed was to release him from the last two

everyone knew he'd be gone for 1 year at least

Cleveland was fed a story that it could be 2 or possibly 3 years

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:11 pm

according to the Raps Forums

Rose knew he could negotiate Jonas' club down to a one year release for a lesser buyout value, he just wasn't willing to do it for Cleveland or more specifically Dan Gilbert.

there's no way Cleveland passes on Jonas if they know he can be bought out for 2.5 million (500,000 of which they can kick in) and he stays in europe for only one year... especially during a season when the L is most likely to lockout

under those terms Jonas becomes a CAV, period, no commas.