2011 Beer and Liquor Thread (formerly Volmillion's)

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Re: 2011 Beer and Liquor Thread (formerly Volmillion's)

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:42 am

I'll look for it.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:47 am

You smoke cigars?

In my humi now: La Flor, Oliva Serie V, CAO Brazilia, a couple of Davidoff and a couple Opus X (XXX Power Rangers).
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Hizzy III » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:06 am

Man, I wish I could still smoke cigars. Shit, I'd be happy just to be able to suck on your basic Cool cigarette at this point. That said, my all-time most-dispised cigar (and, yes, I know it's bargain basement/for-general-consumption-in-nature), is he Garcia Y Vega brand. I've never puffed on one without feeling as if I've just taken a drag from a Rotweiler's asshole. I don't think that was the manufacturer's intent.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:07 am

In my humi right now: a single Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real Toro, a single Punch Pita EMS, a single Montecristo Classic Especial No.3 and the single remaining Arturo Fuente Breva "It's a Girl" cigar (out of the two boxes I bought over 6 years ago, when my daughter was born).
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:09 am

Hizzy III wrote:Man, I wish I could still smoke cigars. Shit, I'd be happy just to be able to suck on your basic Cool cigarette at this point. That said, my all-time most-dispised cigar (and, yes, I know it's bargain basement/for-general-consumption-in-nature), is he Garcia Y Vega brand. I've never puffed on one without feeling as if I've just taken a drag from a Rotweiler's asshole. I don't think that was the manufacturer's intent.
I am stunned that you failed to appreciate the awesomeness of the Garcia Y Vega.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:19 am

I like the reserva real. Bought a box sometiome ago. They were tasty. It's hard for me to get montes here because when I go overseas I usually get the Monte-Cubans.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:54 am

Yeah, I had one while I was in Japan. It was good. But I like the DR ones, too.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:42 am

They aren't bad.

I like a full cigar and most of your selections are medium. You may not like the La Flor DL700 as much as I do. It is very full-bodied. Rated in the 90's by Cigar Aficionado. La Flor also has one called the Airbender. Rated 93 (iirc) and tabbed as one of the 25 best cigars in the world. Ditto the Oliva Serie V (think it's a 94). Again, full bodied. The CAO Brazilia has a 91 rating and is full bodied (notice a trend?).

All of the above are very moderately priced. A single cigar of the ones listed above, at a cigar store, are about 7 or 8 dollars, but buying by the box and you can get some good deals.

Speaking of good deals, Cigar International has a box of 20 La Perla Habana Black Pearl robustos on sale for $40. Carries a 91 rating and is a good cigar at a great price.
Last edited by AlabamAlum on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:45 am

Oh, I also have a few 5 Vegas Miamis, some La Aurora churchills, a Rocky Patel Edge or two, and a few Cain Datonas.
— Abraham Lincoln

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:48 am

Nice. I always like to try new cigars.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:57 am

I used to order from JR Cigars out of NC all the time. I'd always lean towards the lighter brands - the Jamaicans like Temple Hall and Casa Blanca, and the easier offerings of Macanudo. Heh - I took a break a couple of years ago in order to buy more life insurance and got out of the habit...I need to get back in.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:58 am

I placed an order on CI last night for a box of Black Pearls. Order a box, if you can't smoke them, you can mail to me and I'll buy your leftovers.

Do you order through them or do you go to a B&M? I do both. Other on-line stores I've used are cigars.com, cigars-now, and cigars direct. Can get some very good prices on specials through them.
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:00 am

A good "light" cigar is the Oliva Connecticut. I don't care for light gars usually, but those are worthwhile.
— Abraham Lincoln

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:50 pm

I buy from around here locally. The selection varies from store-to-store. There is a fancy wine and cigar place near my house with suprisingly good prices. Most of the local (state-run) liquor stores have humidors and they all seem to stock different brands. I can find some good ones there (although people do look at you weird when you go into a liquor store and walk out with only cigars). I don't buy online, because I never buy whole boxes -- although I would love to have the money and the larger humidor to do so some day (maybe when the kids are all out of college). I almost never have more than a dozen or so cigars on hand at any one time, always a mix with 2 or 3 of one kind that I know I like. I'll definitely look for the Oliva. Pretty sure I've never had one before.

I do like a good bold cigar, but they tend to finish harshly (although on rare occasions I've had one that's good start to finish). For that reason, I tend toward the more mild smokes.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:02 pm

You can buy singles and sampler packs on-line: not taxed, and great prices. They always have sone deal where you can get free shipping if you buy a certain special. Even if you don't, shipping is reasonable.

Try cigars international. Just do some window shopping. Then compare to your Brick and Mortar.

Also, a small humi is not an issue.

Go to eBay. Buy a Western (brand) Hygrometer ($9 -free shipping). You can also get round humidifier pucks for around $3 there (you can make your own too- if you want. Can tell you how). Or you can buy "water pillows" for a dollar a piece.

Next, get an old styrofoam cooler or some Tupperware from your kitchen. Put the hygrometer and the humidifier in and you've just made an Igloodor or a Tupperdor.
— Abraham Lincoln

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:30 pm

JR's has a store about twenty miles from my house. It's Redneck Nirvana, but they do have a great selection of cigars once you wade through the mass of NASCAR merchandising, wrangler jeans, cheap leather and all sorts of tacky shit.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:You can buy singles and sampler packs on-line: not taxed, and great prices. They always have sone deal where you can get free shipping if you buy a certain special. Even if you don't, shipping is reasonable.

Try cigars international. Just do some window shopping. Then compare to your Brick and Mortar.

Also, a small humi is not an issue.

Go to eBay. Buy a Western (brand) Hygrometer ($9 -free shipping). You can also get round humidifier pucks for around $3 there (you can make your own too- if you want. Can tell you how). Or you can buy "water pillows" for a dollar a piece.

Next, get an old styrofoam cooler or some Tupperware from your kitchen. Put the hygrometer and the humidifier in and you've just made an Igloodor or a Tupperdor.
I might just give that a try if I ever accumulate enough cigars to need it. My humidor holds 25 big cigars, I think. I never have that many at once. It has a hygrometer and the little puck you're describing (attaches to the inside of the lid with velcro). I keep propylene glycol solution on hand for when I need to add some.

I'll guess I'll have to check out Cigars International.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:21 pm

I enjoy a good chaw from time to time.
Let 'er Blow!

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:57 pm

when I was a kid we would prime tobacco, and cut some of the lower leaves off roll, em up wrap some string around them and smoke those bitches up. good smoke bro.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.