Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: ACC - Conference Discussion

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:41 am

Having Vagina in the B1G would be hilarious...can you imagine rickart's demeanor after getting their asses kicked by Indiana?
THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by dave_rickart » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 am

We just swept Indiana in a home-and-home, Wizzie.

#learnthegame
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Matt Hayes ‏@Matt_HayesSN

Go Big East! RT @ACCSports: RT @Warchant_DC: 8,500 tickets available on StubHub for ACC Championship game with prices starting at $4.50.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Supply and demand.
Let 'er Blow!

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by KeviNole » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Heh - demand has gone up I guess. I checked a couple of weeks ago and could have gotten them for $4. $8.50 is highway robbery.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Knew this was going to happen...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... -departure

I mean fuck it... why not? The ACC has nothing to lose and everything to gain. That will be $50 million dollars, thank you very much.

Pittsburgh and Syracuse would happily agree to this punative measure. Either you are getting bigger or you are being eaten by someone else. ACC wants be a preditor, not prey.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

JRB
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan

Post by JRB » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 am

It would appear the ACC is voting to add Louisville tomorrow morning. That kind of surprises me-- I thought Connecticut made more sense.
"Reserving judgements is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:06 am

UConn makes more sense from the "ACC is run by a bunch of (basket)ball licking morons" perspective but Louisville is the biggest gem out there (aside from ND of course).

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:22 am

They didn't do a grant of rights though from the way things sound. The ACC is toast in the long run. Swofford needs to go, and Carolina needs to get the hell out of the conference.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am

Carolina is already in the SEC.

Louisville a big upgrade over Maryland (in hoops, in football, in baseball)

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:55 am

DooKSucks wrote:They didn't do a grant of rights though from the way things sound. The ACC is toast in the long run. Swofford needs to go, and Carolina needs to get the hell out of the conference.
The conference needs to get to 16 first (before everyone else) and make the exit fee so fucking punitive, that the whole idea of blowing the conference up would be unthinkable.

Really there is going to be four BCS confereances all at 16 teams. There needs to be 4 because there is only room for 64 seats (maybe 67 with some independants) at the big money table. Obviously, the B1G and the SEC are safe (they have the largest stadiums, the largest alumni bases, and the most tv viewers.) So right there, that is half of the four conferences. Those two conferences are so strong, the two of them could break away from the BCS and form their own national championship, and 60% of the country would believe that theirs WAS the only true national championship! But the EU will break up before the SEC and the B1G start Atlas Shrugging so that means we are going to four, there is only two big money chairs left for three conferences, the Big-XII, the Pac-12, and the ACC. The Pac-12 looks like it is pretty stable mostly because poaching the teams away from the Pac-12 is unthinkable. (No school in the Pac-12 would ever want to leave to go elsewhere.) So by that virtue, they are safe and will eventually get to 16 (Boise State, BYU, SD State Aztecs?, UNLV?, UT-El Paso?, Texas Tech?, Baylor?, Nevada Wolfpack?). I think getting them to 16 is merely a matter of the comissioner picking up a phone 4 times and making 4 calls. It would be that easy.

That leaves the Big-XII and the ACC. Which will survive? Much depends on Notre Dame. If the Irish go "all-in" with the ACC then the ACC live and the Big-XII dies. Assume Notre Dame stays independant. If the SEC continues to poach off of the Big-XII (Oklahoma? Kansas? K-State more likely), then Texas will just go independant (because they can, fuck everyone else) and the ACC lives and the Big-XII dies. If (however) the SEC poaches FSU and Clemson and the B1G poaches Rutgers, Maryland, UVa, and VPI, then the Big-XII lives and the ACC dies. The ACC grabbing Louisville is once again (just like grabbing Pitt and Syracuse) purely a preventive-maintenance measure. Best they take UConn and South Florida and place one last call to Notre Dame before cementing BOTH the states of Virgina off from the B1G and Florida off from the SEC and watch the Big-XII die.

The ACC and the Big-XII are both racing to the bottom, each trying to climb on top of the other to get out of the Big East holes that they are in.,... and I'm sorry DS, but UNC is not going anywhere. You are stuck with us (just like FSU, fuck you.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 pm

AS usual Swofford is going about things the wrong way. We should be poaching the Big-12 instead of the Big East.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:57 pm

I like to say "poached" so that it almost sounds like "porched", as in "porched aiggs"...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:01 pm

AugustWest wrote:AS usual Swofford is going about things the wrong way. We should be poaching the Big-12 instead of the Big East.
Great so who do we take? WVa? They are still pissed at the ACC for being by-passed back in 2003. Guess that leaves the state of Kansas and maybe Iowa State? No team in Texas will come to the ACC.

I agree with the point you are making but (geographically) it makes no sense. Geographically, the ACC is nowhere near the Great Plains. But, the SEC and the B1G are (part) of the Great Plains. So, the Big-XII is getting picked over by the B1G and the SEC. We were fortunately enough to be able to stand by and idly watch the carcass be vultured instead of having to vigorously defend our own assets. ACC has been in consuming mode, not defense mode. NOW, that is all changing with Maryland. Fat chance they cough up $50,000,000 but the most important thing that the ACC could do right now is dig their heels in and FORCE that $50 million dollar penalty, it sends a message (to FSU and Clemson specifically.)
Last edited by innocentbystander on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:02 pm

The Big 12 teams have granted their media rights to the conference for the duration of the conference's television deals.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:19 pm

I still think IB dresses is womens clothing on the weekends.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:17 pm

something tells me it's not limited to the weekends....

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm

dave_rickart wrote:something tells me it's not limited to the weekends....
oh davey....

you PROMISED ME that our dreesing up would be our secret. Now and you go and tell everyone about our private time. Thats it, next time I see you, you are getting a spanking.

billy bob bocephus
Junior

Post by billy bob bocephus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 pm

use the whip

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:44 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
dave_rickart wrote:something tells me it's not limited to the weekends....
oh davey....

you PROMISED ME that our dreesing up would be our secret. Now and you go and tell everyone about our private time. Thats it, next time I see you, you are getting a spanking.
Not surprising