DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 am

eCat wrote:well I'm back.

props to UNC for their legal team. It was money well spent.
Yet you only have one national title to show for all that you have paid Cal and his band of mercenaries...
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:50 am

DooKSucks wrote:
eCat wrote:well I'm back.

props to UNC for their legal team. It was money well spent.
Yet you only have one national title to show for all that you have paid Cal and his band of mercenaries...
Hedge knows, Saint knows, Jay Bilas knows and even you who sold your soul as a slimy lawyer knows what UNC did.

you want to celebrate the NCAA folding because UNC threatened lawsuit, go ahead. its about what I'd expect of you at this point. With your life choices, you really don't have any other way of thinking.

You're not celebrating the integrity of your university being validated, you're celebrating spending millions to intimidate a governing board so you can retain your sports heritage unscathed. You're celebrating a technicality, which lawyers do.

You're no longer referred to as UNC-Cheat, You're UNC-OJ

Take pride in that. Use the scoreboard or a picture of Luke Mayo as a response. Its exactly what a UK fan would do if the situation was reversed.

That's the real casualty of this.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Luke Mayo!
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:45 pm

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Look, nobody at UNC is proud that any of this happened, and many holier than thou UNC fans have had to eat crow and will have to live with the shame of this whole thing forever, but that's their own fault for spouting off forever about how Carolina was "above" anything like this. Ironically, Carolina is now so squeaky clean that we probably are at the level that those type of fans always claimed we were, but we'll never get credit for it now, and deservedly so. But I've said from the beginning that there are easy classes at every school, and not just ones that athletes tend to congregate towards. I did a study abroad one summer in London, it was basically pay the fee so two professors and their wives can go take you to a couple of plays and a castle and the rest of the time you're cruising the pubs. I'm sure everyone got an A for their 6 hours of credit. There were dozens of "classes" like that going to different countries every summer, many of my friends went to Italy with Dr. Rao, got 6 hours worth of A's and then 6 more hours worth of A's in Italian when they got back to Chapel Hill and I doubt they even know what "ciao" means. For what it's worth, the vast majority of them are doing just fine in the real world, despite this egregious handicap placed on them by UNC.

But whatever, I realize the refrain of "everybody does it" is exactly what rival fans are slamming UNC fans for saying now, b/c so many of our fans have pretended like we didn't do it. But you can't punish a school for the arrogance of its fans. And the bottom line is, if everyone IS doing it (and they are), you can't punish just one school for it. I'm sure there are hundreds of instances of grades being given for a bare minimum of effort, but the one thing I keep coming back to is that dozens of schools give academic credit, fully overseen by athletic staff, to players (and players only) merely for participation on the team. Seriously, give me a break, if the NCAA has no problem with that, they can't come in and pick any class at any school in any subject and say "nope, this isn't up to standard," b/c if they're giving academic credit for merely being on the team that you were recruited for in the first place, then there is no standard, at least not any standard that the NCAA can point to.

Finally, the whole thing about getting off on a technicality doesn't sting me one bit. That's what people who didn't get the result they wanted try to call it to make themselves feel better. If there are rules in place that were violated, then take your punishment. Clearly the NCAA didn't think that was the case here and they made their ruling based on that. Many others had come to that same conclusion a long time ago. You may not like lawyers and the judicial system having the final word on these things, but what's the alternative? That you and a bunch of NCState fans get to shut down UNC b/c you hate our basketball team? Um, no thanks. But trying to say it was a technicality is the same as Trump haters who say that Hilary got 3 million more votes than Trump, so she should've been found the winner, and this whole electoral college thing is just a technicality. No, it's not a technicality, it's the rules by which these things are decided. Same thing with the Carolina case. Just like Trump, you may not like it, but you damn sure are going to have to live with it. Trying to convince yourself that it was a technicality might make you feel a little better, but it's not going to change anything...

The other irony is that we probably got punished far more by standing up to the NCAA than we would have if we had just taken whatever punishment they wanted to dish out 7 years ago. Coaches got fired, athletic director got fired, recruiting suffered tremendously, etc. But we still managed back to back NC appearances as well as a championship. As far as the reputation of the university overall, I've never been worried about that, everybody knows that UNC is a top tier school across the board, in law, medicine, business, sciences. Again, nobody is proud that there were some easy classes in some minor backwater department of the liberal arts program, but that has nothing to do with the university's reputation overall in majors that matter in the real world and also as far as our ability to attract research money. But yeah, it'll give UK and NCState fans something to yap about from here to eternity, but we're used to that...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 pm

you got a national championship and got to keep one you cheated to get

kindly STFU with any comments about "the investigation hurt us worse than actual probation would have"

Only other UNC fans are buying that horseshit

UNC violated the spirit of the law and did so knowingly by including "regular" students into these classes. UNC admitted the classes were fake - not easy.

regardless of whatever shit you're shoveling about obeying the letter of the law, UNC threatened lawsuit to avoid this and the NCAA caved.

Again, create whatever narrative you want to justify it. You know, I know, everyone knows what happened at UNC. UNC abandoned the integrity of their education to keep students athletes eligible. Its not up for debate.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:10 pm

" UNC admitted the classes were fake - not easy."

That's the first I've heard of that. Link?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 pm

"Again, create whatever narrative you want to justify it."

That's exactly what you're doing...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:13 pm

I tell you what - if I show you a link where UNC admits the classes were fake, will you admit that UNC is a piece of shit university and deserves probation for participating in the greatest academic scandal in NCAA history?

or will you just shrug it off and go back to the "I support us getting off on a technicality" horseshit?

if you're going to start acting like Metzger, then I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:20 pm

You seem upsait...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Stu tried to tell you how all of this was going to go down, but you didn't want to listen. I think you owe Stu an apology. And me, too...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:27 pm

hedge wrote:Stu tried to tell you how all of this was going to go down, but you didn't want to listen. I think you owe Stu an apology. And me, too...
I notice you're not going to bite on the fake class thing

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Why should I? Even the NCAA said it wasn't about fake classes...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:53 pm

exactly

now I just have to wait for Saint to show up with his contrived bullshit analysis on why the NCAA was left with no other choice but to say UNC didn't cheat, and we can move on.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:03 pm

He done tolt ye already, you wouldn't listen!

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 pm

It's as if Augwest's demon has inhabited eCat.

Hillary Clinton = Kentucky fan
Donald Trump = UNC

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by aTm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:00 pm

UNC is literally Hitler
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:17 pm

This was no different than someone taking advantage of a tax loophole and exploiting it as much as legally possible. We can't help people revel in the misery of others and wanted to see UNC punished.

Maybe if the shitheads in raleigh spent as much time and money on their own program, they might have something worth a damn.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 pm

I thought the fatty fucker was a Gamecocks fan. Or a Cowboys fan, or Redskins fan? Fuck it, I give up. He's probably a Patriots fan now anyway.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:24 am

As I've been saying the whole time...

Frat boys may have helped save UNC athletics from NCAA sanctions over the school's academic scandal

One of the largest referrers to these fake courses, which were run by the African and Afro-American studies department, was UNC's fraternity system. The investigators said they spoke with several fraternity members about the courses, and the report described the recollection of two of them:

"Both fraternity members explained that they saw these classes as somewhat of a 'loophole' in Chapel Hill's otherwise demanding curriculum, and they never conceived of these classes as being in any way tailored to athletes. In fact, they recalled that a number of their non-athlete fraternity members took so many AFAM classes that they inadvertently ended up with AFAM minors by the time they graduated."

According to the Wainstein report, "Over the course of ten years, there were 729 enrollments in the paper classes by members of fraternities (and some sorority sisters)."

The report said fraternity members may have had an added incentive to seek out an easy high grade.

At UNC — much as athletes need a minimum GPA to remain eligible to compete — each Greek house needs to achieve a minimum average GPA among its members to maintain university recognition and stay on campus. The report notes that the investigators "understand that the need to meet these requirements played a role in the decision among fraternity members to take these classes."

http://www.businessinsider.com/ncaa-unc ... on-2017-10