Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by crashcourse » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:01 am

win a national championship in april

know you are going to be the #1 overall pick in June

and you feel you have to go to classes as a freshman and only year of college during that 8 week period befor your drafted #1

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:24 am

EFZ

A buddy of mine won the Heisman, finished playing in January, went to Atlanta to hang out with some of the crew that lived down there and never went back to campus. After the athletic season, if it's not your senior year, you have graduated.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:26 am

So which Heisman winner is Brook friends with? Charlie Ward?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:40 am

Reggie Bush.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:21 am

OJ...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Heh. Charlie is too old, Reggie is too young. Either way, it doesn't matter for the story.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Does his last name begin with a W?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Heh...that would knock off about half the Heisman winners from 1993 - 2013.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:37 pm

That narrows it down to 11 possibilities. Is he black or white (that would narrow it down to 5 and 6, respectively)?

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Heh. Just 5.... Wuerffel, Woodson, Williams, Weinke, and White.
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm

I think it's Woodson.
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:11 pm

crashcourse wrote:win a national championship in april

know you are going to be the #1 overall pick in June

and you feel you have to go to classes as a freshman and only year of college during that 8 week period befor your drafted #1

I think Calipari beats that into the moment they start talking about going to Kentucky - of course that all could be a very elaborate pile of horseshit, but Daniel Orton stopped going to class when he declared, word got out about, fans got on his ass and he ended up apologizing via twitter saying he made a mistake and was sorry for how it was going to affect future teams.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:25 pm

Well, I guess that settles it then...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:29 am

From the national review

------------

The once vaunted academic reputation of UNC- Chapel Hill lies in shreds on the field of play. The NCAA is re-opening a probe into shenanigans involving money sport athletes (basketball and football); a special investigator — with U.S. Justice Department experience – is finishing up a probe instigated by the UNC system’s Board of Governors into phantom classes attended by athletes; and most recently, an academic tutor for scholarship athletes is suing the school for defamation after UNC officials attacked her in public for research she unearthed indicating 60 percent of money ball recruits were reading on an 8th grade level. Now a former star basketball player has agreed with Willingham.

Thinking back, I know when the problems arose regarding athletics wagging the academic tail at UNC. I sat beside Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford during a luncheon at the Kenan-Flagler School of Business at UNC in 1990, the day of the announcement Florida State University was joining the conference in 1991. Little did I know I was a witness to history to come when I asked Swofford why a conference composed of top-level institutions of higher learning was accepting a former all-female teacher’s college with scant scholastic prestige. The answer? Georgia Tech had informed the conference it was pulling out to join the Southeast Conference unless the ACC landed a Florida TV market school.

Excuse me for being naive, but weren’t we proud of the ACC’s elite status? After all, member schools had denied entry to Joe Namath and Pete Maravich, now considered legends in football and basketball. Both were recruited but denied a scholarship due to the now quaint-sounding restrictions adhered to by all ACC schools until the 1980s and early 1990s: Athletic scholarships could be granted only to athletes who made an 800 on the SAT and possessed a 1.6 Projected Grade Point Average based on high school transcripts. This requirement resulted in 50+point losses to Notre Dame and Oklahoma in football, but ACC teams could walk off the gridiron with satisfaction that they played for a school that protected its academic prestige. Today, Swofford is ACC commissioner and the league a money machine with little regard for academic standards.

UNC, once thought the paragon of ACC athletic purity and prestige, is up to its waist in the sewerage of scandal directly related to the abandonment of recruiting standards for signing big money athletes in basketball and football. Yet the myth, called the Carolina Way, continued until just recently – that UNC (and the ACC) was above the tawdry athletic antics of an Auburn, or a Miami. Until 2010, when Chancellor Holden Thorp received a call from the NCAA informing him the college sports regulatory body had evidence UNC athletes had received improper benefits from “runners” working for sports agents recruiting Tar Heel football players for the NFL and pro leagues abroad.

Thorp was the personification of the Carolina Way, a true-blue Tar Heel who was deluded by the myths aura of the school’s past. He was bred believing scholastics and honor prevailed in university athletics. Thorp was the Everyman for most Carolina alumni, who saw themselves as above the fray of coarse behavior regarding recruitment and retention of big money jocks. Not so elite as the Ivies perhaps, where academic scholarships are bestowed on athletes, but clean and good compared to the rest.

Since the call, UNC has wallowed in hypocrisy and obtuse public communications. The public relations firm the school hired has mirrored the incompetency perceived by the public. Although the Board of Trustees, in conjunction with the UNC system Board of Governors, has hired a G-Man, all else has failed to improve the sudden fallen image of the school.

Chancellor Thorp has gone, replaced by Carol Folt, a female from Dartmouth where girls field hockey and badminton represent the sports tradition. Folt was the choice of the faculty, another example of wardens capitulating to the inmates. (As an aside, Bill Roper, respected dean of School of Medicine at UNC, offered his services to replace Thorp. He was willing to absorb a huge pay cut to save the university. He was rebuffed so a female token could take the helm, whether qualified or not).

No matter, there is no hope UNC will ever recover anyway. Its insides are corroded with destructive radical scholars running the academic side, money-focused cowboys directing the athletic program and third-rate political appointees making administrative decisions on the Board of Trustee level and system-wide Board of Governors.

The Carolina Way is a sad joke. And the Carolina Blue sky cloudy and overcast.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:58 pm

The National Review is a shell of its former self. They can go eat a big bowl of dick.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:49 pm

It's FSUs fault.
Let 'er Blow!

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:01 am

There is also a story floating around by a writer claiming nothing will happen that UNC fans are promoting - basically he states that they brought in a guy (his name might be Wainwright) in 2003 and by 2009 none of the students were taking AFAM classes anymore - and they are praising him for cleaning it up in ........6 years - and that is why the NCAA shouldn't do anything to them.

In that same article, he quotes Guthridge talking about how he went around personally and checked to make sure players were in class - not quite sure how he did that on classes that didn't meet - which is a question the homer writer didn't bother to ask.

of course, the National Review is a shell, the N&O is on a vendetta, CNN, ESPN, CBS, HBO - are all reporting the lies of Willingham - but this guy...by god he's Pulitzer material

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:22 am

Never underestimate the media's ability to lock on to a stupid story without checking the facts.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:47 pm

lebron to cleveland

helps my pacers

funny how all is forgiven in cleveland now after nearly riots 4 years ago