AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: UCLA Bruins

Post by AugustWest » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:10 pm

no one was singing the blues."

I guess Phil has never heard of, you know, The Blues.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:11 pm

those comments aren't surprising to me

what is surprising is that they didn't sit down with him a long time ago and tell him what he could and couldn't talk about during an interview.

not that a 67 year old self made millionaire would give a shit anyways.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Owlman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Like one of my wife's 8th grade teacher's stated: Slaves were happy. They were well-taken care of by their masters because of the investment their masters had made in them.
My Dad is my hero still.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:16 pm

That is true. In the Patriot with Mel Gibson, his "help" worked the fields and had a "fair" share.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:39 pm

riiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhht
My Dad is my hero still.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Like in Gone With the Wind when Mammy and Sissy saw Rhett and Scarlett's new house, Sissy exclaimed "Lawsie, we rich now!"
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:30 pm

It was idiotic to suspend Phil. I think his statements were pure jackassery, but it's not like they were surprising. They suspended him because they are trying to save the soap they're selling.

I never watched the show that much, but they did entertain me. The comments will make me more hesitant to ever tune in again...and that's where the transaction the lie, not with the network suspending him. Shit, people can still watch Charlie Sheen shows, listen to R. Kelly music and watch Mel Gibson flicks...or decide not to.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:36 pm

True, but Mel Gipson has paid a big price in terms of opportunity and pay
My Dad is my hero still.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:50 pm

And that was the public driving that.

I'm not sweating the suspension, really, but I think it was simply damage control by A&E and not them making a statement about what they felt was truly right or wrong. As a result, I'm not inclined to voice any support of their decision.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Turn on A&E right now. Duck Dynasty Marathon. Gotta pay the bills I guess.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:38 am

I watched about 5 episodes in a row on demand with the young 'un a couple of years ago. The first couple were kinda amusing, the next couple were the same as the first two and therefor less amusing and by the fifth one, I knew I'd never watch it again, and I haven't and never will. It's swill at best, and now that I know the old man (and all the rest of them too, I'm sure) are homophobic christian nutbags, I have even more reason to hope their golden goose (or in their case, duck) is cooked due to their own backwards ass redneckism. I really do enjoy seeing people like that piss away a good thing b/c of their own sheer stupidity and religious-based bigotry, no matter how much they try to cloak it in the teachings of JEEEE-SUSSSS, as if that makes it "OK"...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:34 am

here is my thing on it though - while I'm the last guy to be all religious, A&E knew that's what the family was like, its part of the attraction to the show, and the guy isn't someone who is standing up saying gays can't have rights or should be cast out, he just said what most of us have said at some point in our life - I like pussy, not man ass - now the rest of it is his religious doctrine, no different than the pope or Billy Graham or anyone else who buys into that nonsense - that the bible says gays and a host of other undesirables will not get into heaven unless they change their ways. I don't see Christianity adapting to the popularity of gay culture.

That should come as no shock to anyone - bible belters have been preaching that for years.

To be honest, and this must be a generational thing, I'm actually surprised at how much power there is (and effort to appease) the gay community.

Back in the 80's we would have just said "fags" and rolled our eyes at all this complaining. I'm turning into a dinosaur.

I really can't defend the pre-Jim Crow laws statements but I will say that if I had to guess, he really wasn't in tune with all the stuff going on outside the little village of West Monroe , LA. As he said, I suspect he worked hand in hand with his black neighbors, and if you look at studies back them, literacy and out of wedlock rates were about the same for whites as it was African Americans in those rural areas. Not to say it was good - just pretty much the same. At 67 he is still too young to be able to plead complete ignorance but I don't think his statements went beyond his perception of what happened in a 20 square mile radius.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:52 am

People love gossip and ostracizing someone for something. It gives the mass herd a little tingle of pleasure in the nodes of their brains that still think its 10,000 BC and they should cleanse the tribe of bad genes every now and then.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:57 am

I am actually a bit surprised that A&E took any action at all beyond just saying that as a network they don't agree. The peak for that show is already past it and I doubt that the mainstream was even still watching it regularly, but it'll continue to have a solid following for a cable network like A&E but it's pretty much all people who will side with the Robertsons and agree with them. Also if the Robertson's get pissed I doubt that A&E has a contractual stranglehold since its based on their own personas, so they could easily say fuck you A&E, and another network would hire the.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:21 pm

I would like to hear what Uncle Si has to say about it, Jack.

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Never watched it, doubt I ever will...don't know them and they don't know me...therefore, fuck it...

I will say this...if they thought they would not like the answer, maybe they shouldn't have asked the question?
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Maybe this is what A&E needed cause they know the show had peaked and well any publicity is good.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Ya'll are right, there is always going to be a healthy population of dumb fuck christian homophobes out there who will support some other dumb fuck christian homophobe just out of solidarity. I'm just glad I'm not in that population, as I'm sure they're glad they're not in mine...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:44 pm

I still don't get the outrage. You can't change old peoples opinions. They are set in stone no matter what todays PC society says. I shook my head every day at my Grandpa who hated black people. Why did he hate them, because he was robbed twice when he owned his pharmacy in Newport. Old peoples opinions are set in concrete. It's how they were raised. Thankfully those times are finally changing as time goes by. Whatever Phil said, I really don't give a fuck. His opinion is his, as it is every talking head in the media trying to make a big deal out of an old coots name to grab some ratings. What a fucking waste of time.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:50 pm

I've been watching Predator for the past hour or so. I've forgotten what a cool movie that was. When Arnold covers himself in mud and lights that torch, its good cinematography - at least I think that's the right word.