Florida State Seminoles

The Forum Without Decorum.

Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Toemeesleather
Senior

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:17 pm

a speech given by David Simon on how capitalism has lost its moral compass with social impact

Heh, capitalism is amoral....capitalists can be moral or immoral.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Kudos to Newt Gingrich on those comments. Very well said.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:23 pm

crashcourse wrote:money--in god we trust prominantly on display
swearing in oaths--so help me God
declaration of independance uses god once and creator twice
all 50 state constitutions reference god
america the beautiful--god shed his grace on thee
US supreme court--moses holdng 10 commandments
washington,lincoln and jefforson memorials all have references to bible and god inscribed on the building
house and senate all have references to god in chambers

all of these institutions should be altered because it insults the godless minority?
christmas should be altered because it insults the godless minority?

I agree with some of the libs--dont let the right wing religious zealots control the government but dont go overboard the otherway and remove all references to a creator and all biblical government references on which a lot of our legal system is based just because you think a big bang came out of nothing to create the universe
If that post was in reference to my statement about the founding fathers, then a lot of those items listed above had nothing to do with the founding fathers. Now, the Declaration of Independence references God, as most - if not all - the founding fathers believed in a God (although I don't believe the Constitution, our founding document, does reference God).

I took issue with your premise that the founding fathers were confusing matters of church and state. They never wanted to have religious doctrine dictate the matters of the state. That's different than having any reference to God. So, I honestly don't think the founding fathers were confused about the matters of church and state as they did not add In God We Trust on money (1864), the Lincoln Memorial (1868), the Washington Memorial (1884) or Jefferson (1943).

Now, it's up for debate but I don't know if the founding fathers (particularly Jefferson or Madison) would have been proponents of any monuments to the Ten Commandments, the Talmud, the Baghavad Gita or Quran on a government building. I will say, though, that they never did erect those types of monuments while in power from my knowledge.

One thing I will grant you, the only thing I can think of where the founding fathers dropped the ball in the "church and state" area was in appointing the Chaplain of the US Senate. It was the only thing I can see where the line got blurry. Madison saw it coming, too. He was against the creation of the position because it would wind up discriminating against Catholics and Jews. It was always supposed to be a multi denominational position that rotated to make it so no particular religion actually "ruled" the position and ergo meant the government advocates for a particular religion.

I've typed a lot that will probably mean little to your overall view of things, but I think the founding fathers were the least confused about what they did NOT want as it related to the church influencing the government. It was the future leaders who bastardized that view.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:26 pm

eCat wrote:did he just say that or was it back when he was running for office
He just said it...and he's actually been quite consistent with that line for years. It was one of the things many GOPers on the Hill broke with Reagan over in the 80s. Mitch McConnell led the fight, if I recall correctly.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:05 pm

eCat wrote:a speech given by David Simon on how capitalism has lost its moral compass with social impact

"We understand profit. In my country we measure things by profit. We listen to the Wall Street analysts. They tell us what we're supposed to do every quarter. The quarterly report is God. Turn to face God. Turn to face Mecca, you know. Did you make your number? Did you not make your number? Do you want your bonus? Do you not want your bonus?"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/d ... ricas-wire
He's right. Good speech.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:27 pm

That's close to a rip off of Judge Reinholds interview scene at the factory being closed in Head Office.

FF to 54:50

[youtube]cJ4ZSQFXwUM[/youtube]
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:45 pm

heh...the driver was Father Guido Sarducci, whose sister was Surgeon General of the US.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:58 pm

"They never wanted to have religious doctrine dictate the matters of the state."

I'm not an expert by any means I lifted most of that from some site at work today and its true most of your points.

whats interesting is almost all 50 state constitutions- reference god in some way

how many state constitutions were written by founding fathers I don't know

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Bklyn wrote:heh...the driver was Father Guido Sarducci, whose sister was Surgeon General of the US.
He has some nice scenes in this movie. One of my favorite '80's flicks.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:25 pm

straight from an SNL skit

JOHANNESBURG (AP) - A man who provided sign language interpretation on stage for Nelson Mandela's memorial service, attended by scores of heads of state, was a "fake," the national director of the Deaf Federation of South Africa said on Tuesday.

Asked about the claim by The Associated Press, South Africa's government said it was preparing a statement.

Three sign language experts said the man was not signing in South African or American sign languages. South African sign language covers all of the country's 11 official languages, according to the federation. It wasn't immediately clear if the unidentified man was using a different method to communicate.

The unidentified man seen around the world on television next to leaders like U.S. President Barack Obama "was moving his hands around but there was no meaning in what he used his hands for," said Bruno Druchen, the federation's national director.

Nicole Du Toit, an official sign language interpreter who also watched the broadcast, said in a telephone interview that the man on stage purporting to sign was an embarrassment.

"It was horrible, an absolute circus, really really bad," she said. "Only he can understand those gestures."

South African parliament member Wilma Newhoudt, a member of the ruling party who is deaf, also said the man communicated nothing with his hand and arm movements. AP interviewed both Druchen, who also is deaf, and Newhoudt by telephone using an interpreter.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 pm

crashcourse wrote:Among the institutions joining the lawsuit are Catholic Charities, Catholic University of America, and The Consortium of Catholic Academies -- all of which filed together with the Archdiocese of Washington in U.S. District Court in Washington, DC. The lawsuit challenges provisions of the ACA that the plaintiffs say require "religious organizations to provide coverage for drugs and procedures in direct conflict with their religious beliefs."

The action in Washington was mirrored across the country Monday as a total of 43 Catholic institutions simultaneously filed 12 lawsuits against the ACA.

so its okay that the governemnt changes how they reimburse if they change the rules which directly conflicts your religion?

church needs to stay out of government but govt needs to stay out of church

almost impossilbe to do i know
Not impossible. Keep your church out of commercial enterprises and there is not a problem at all. There is an exemption for religious institutions not in commercial enterprises. They want to engage in commerce and control to what the workers have access.
My Dad is my hero still.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Churches should pay taxes and play by the same rules as everyone else. Until that happens, I hope all these people bitching about the ACA and religious freedom get AIDS. Honestly, I hope they get AIDS anyway.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:54 pm

chruches are for profit enterprises designed to get certrain people rich ic the joel osteen or whatever his name is along with a few other megachruches. be interesting to see their tax rates.

lot of churches do a lot of good for a lot of people however. putting churches out of business esepcially the smaller community ones who arent the mega conglomerates would create a void that many people need.

I was born and raised a catholic, protestant and baptis and am now more agnostic then anything. If I thought we could accomplish some type of a moral compass without churches you wouldnt get any argument but religion has provided the morale upbringing of this country since it was founded. as bad as the fanatism is from some of these rt wing zealots this country would be a lot worse without it. santa clause aint real but our country is better off because the idea of him exists--who knows maybe spiritually he does exist--I cant prove either way

but to damn the whole religious world because of the extemism of a few --well I would hate to see where this country would be if we never had god in it. cue its a wonderful life and I imagine more like potterville then bedford falls

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Jesus still loves you, Cletus!

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:20 pm

my son is an atheist, primarily because of my wife and me - and I'm constantly having to tell him to tone his anti-church rhetoric down. Some people need religion, and as much as they annoy me being all jebus like, I'd hate to think what they'd be like without it.

He doesn't get that yet, just like I didn't when I was young.

I think a church or religious based organization has a right to say what they will provide or not provide based on their religious beliefs. And as mentioned earlier, if you don't like that, then don't work for them.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Appalachia ain't got shit on Australia

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/t ... BE.twitter

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:01 pm

I used to be pretty religious when I was a kid. I'd sit and watch all kinds of religious shows on Sunday morning before church. My favorite was Ernest Angley, esp. at the end of the show when he would call people up and heal them. He'd put his hands on the ears of a deaf person and yell "Now devils, I command you to get OUT!" Then he'd snap his fingers beside their ears and they would nod that, yes, now they could hear. Then he would whack them on the forehead and they'd fall out, smitten by the power of jesus...

I think sometime when I was around 11 or 12 years old, it just dawned on me that it was a crock of shit. Not just the extreme fake-ass Ernest Angley show, but everything that provided the basis for it in the first place. I have never wavered from that view since then...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Heathen
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:42 pm

eCat wrote: I think a church or religious based organization has a right to say what they will provide or not provide based on their religious beliefs. And as mentioned earlier, if you don't like that, then don't work for them.
Churches have that right. Hospitals don't. You really think that some of the biggest employers in some communities have a right to tell employees that they can't get blood products if they need surgery?
My Dad is my hero still.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:44 pm

Owlman wrote:
eCat wrote: I think a church or religious based organization has a right to say what they will provide or not provide based on their religious beliefs. And as mentioned earlier, if you don't like that, then don't work for them.
Churches have that right. Hospitals don't. You really think that some of the biggest employers in some communities have a right to tell employees that they can't get blood products if they need surgery?
6 months ago they didn't even have to provide them insurance in the first place.