Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Red Bird
Junior

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Red Bird » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Govt keeps bitching that biz is sitting on mtns of cash, so the best thing govt can do is add certainty to the cost of doing business. Make cuts permanent, repeal or rule unconstitutional Oprama care, limit regulations to those that actually make sense. Then biz will begin hiring.
So your plan is keep the Bush Tax cuts, repeal the Health Insurance Profit Guarantee Act, and cut unspecified government regulations?

And if we do this, companies will start hiring new workers even though there’s no increase in demand for those products?

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:46 pm

You do what Reagan did when he got us out of a worse recession after only two years.

http://blogs.forbes.com/louiswoodhill/2 ... that-isnt/
Last edited by Professor Tiger on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Manhattan style project where EVERYTHING is on the table: Nat gas, shale, solar, wind, wave, coal, efficiency, oil, nuclear,... EVERYTHING. Hell 20 billion a year overseen by national labs (ORNL, Livermore, Brookhaven, etc) to ideas that have merit and that the inventors of the ideas OWN THIER idea is the best way to do it. You have to bridge the gap from here to there though. It will be a beautiful day when the mid-east is irrelevant to US energy needs.
Well, at least we agree on energy and legalizing drugs.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Owlman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Hacksaw wrote:
Owlman wrote:
Hacksaw wrote: You conveniently believed what you chose to believe and voted for people who kept the scam going.
What??? YOU voted for Gore in 2000? That was the primary proposal of Gore in the election, to put SS in a lockbox and to truly and accurately reflect the budget (one of the biggest jokes on SNL was Gore repeating lockbox over and over)
Yeah, and Obama said he'd close down Gitmo and get us out of Iraq and govern in a bipartisan way and have the most transparent WH in history and televise the whole damned thing on C-SPAN, etc., etc., etc.

I didn't believe any of that shit, either.
So therefore, your previous criticism about who people vote for on this regard means nothing, since you declined to vote for the only person who ran on putting SS in a lockbox.
My Dad is my hero still.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:46 am

AugustWest wrote:How about Heroin?death.

you can live a long time on hard drugs. Ray Charles and Miles Davis both a 30 year heroin addictions. David Crosby free based cocaine for 15 years as did Richard Pryor. only God know show many doctors are running around high on morphine every day. the common denominator here is being able to get good reliable product. IB you wake up one morning and realize you kid is an addict. you try and try and he wont stop. do you want him getting product at a pharmacy or from a street corner thug?
You could smoke 2 packs a day and live until 94. Odds are against it. Richard Pryor had a terrible heart attack because of the enormous damage done to his heart as a result of the cocaine. Didn't live long after that event.

If I wake up one morning and my kid is an addict, I do what Carrol O'Connor said "get involved in their life and do whatever I must to stop them." I don't care if I have to drag him/her to Detox and watch them for 4 weeks until whatever it is, is flushed out of their system, THEN when they get out, they lose all their privleges. School all day, home every night. Home every weekend. They must EARN their freedom and liberty back because he/she has proven that they responsible enough yet to make their own decisions for their life....

...either that, or I take my child to a funeral director and have them plan their own funeral. I'll take door number one, thank you.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Big Orange Junky
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by Big Orange Junky » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:24 am

I'm all for drug testing people getting gubment checks and kicking them off if they are positive. That includes unemployment.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:21 am

Neither

not an option. your kid is going to use drugs.

in another scenario your kid is an honor student about to get an academic scholarship to yale. on graduation night he and some buddies get caught smoking pot at their hotel room. the cop that bust them is a hard ass and actually charges them with possession. two weeks later you receive a letter from yale that the scholarship offer has been withdrawn. what sense does that make?
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:23 am

Big Orange Junky wrote:I'm all for drug testing people getting gubment checks and kicking them off if they are positive. That includes unemployment.
this I do agree with. if you're on the dole, the government should have a say over your life, if not they need to stay out of it.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:29 am

You could smoke 2 packs a day and live until 94. Odds are against it

your odds here are a lot better than with smack because one cigarette is never going to kill you. one bad dose of smack does. because there's no control.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:44 am

Well well...looks like the lap dogs are getting tired of covering for wonderboy.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:56 am

The Time cover is somewhat misleading...they still defend Obammer and blame others in the article....George Will is much more straightforward.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will060911.php3
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:18 am

My drug infested kid beat up your honor student.
THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:05 pm

"My biggest concern is that, while pot is not a hard core drug, it is a gateway drug to the more serious stuff."

That's not true with the majority of people I have known who have smoked pot.

If you're saying that, statistically, more people who have tried pot (Group A) will go on to try other drugs -- when compared with people who have never tried pot (Group B) -- well then...duh. Group B is comprised of people who, for whatever reason, are not the kind of folks who are inclined to try illegal drugs. Group A, OTOH, is comprised of people who have proven that they are willing to experiment with illegal drugs in the first place. But does that necessarily prove that pot caused them to move on to harder drugs? I don't think so. You could probably just as easily make the case that alcohol and cigarettes are a gateway to hard drugs.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:15 pm

So therefore, your previous criticism about who people vote for on this regard means nothing, since you declined to vote for the only person who ran on putting SS in a lockbox.
Heh. Well, the guy I voted for did try to address SS reform. But he didn't get very far with it, unfortunately. And Gore was hardly the only candidate who talked about the need to fix SS. His plan just wouldn't have addressed the underlying problems with the current system.

And anyway...Al Gore? Really? C'mon...
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:26 pm

AugustWest wrote:You could smoke 2 packs a day and live until 94. Odds are against it

your odds here are a lot better than with smack because one cigarette is never going to kill you. one bad dose of smack does. because there's no control.
Opium kills. There is a good reason why only a hospital can dispense morphine (and why it is synthetically made) this shit is highly addictive and if you take it long enough it will kill you.

Just because it is legal or controlled, doesn't mean that it makes it better. Tylenol may not be addictive but it slowly kills you by ruining your liver much faster than alcohol. As far as addictions go, we already have enough highly addictive legal drugs (Vicadin & Percoset are two of the worst) we don't need to add smack, meth, crack, and pot to the list. Want to ask Rush Limbaugh about "legal" Oxycotin addictions? That was (originally) controlled. He got addicted.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

THE_WIZARD_
Senior

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Artificially fucking with market forces always causes long term harm. Always. I think most libs know this deep down but they also know their political survival is based on artificially fucking with market forces.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:41 pm

AugustWest wrote:Neither

not an option. your kid is going to use drugs.

in another scenario your kid is an honor student about to get an academic scholarship to yale. on graduation night he and some buddies get caught smoking pot at their hotel room. the cop that bust them is a hard ass and actually charges them with possession. two weeks later you receive a letter from yale that the scholarship offer has been withdrawn. what sense does that make?
It's not the end of the world but it teaches him a very hard and expensive (life altering) lesson. Now he'll have to go to Community College for a Semester, pull straight A-s, re-apply for a scholarship to Brown with is awesome Junior College AND high school transcripts, and (even with a pot conviction on his permanent record) he'll still get an academic scholarship for his sophomore year.

So there, I made some sense of it. Bottom line, he'll never touch pot again, so that was good.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Red Bird wrote:
Govt keeps bitching that biz is sitting on mtns of cash, so the best thing govt can do is add certainty to the cost of doing business. Make cuts permanent, repeal or rule unconstitutional Oprama care, limit regulations to those that actually make sense. Then biz will begin hiring.
So your plan is keep the Bush Tax cuts, repeal the Health Insurance Profit Guarantee Act, and cut unspecified government regulations?

And if we do this, companies will start hiring new workers even though there’s no increase in demand for those products?
Biz isn't hiring because of huge uncertainty everywhere. Remove the uncertainty and and biz will hire.

THE_WIZARD_
Senior

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:21 pm

EFZ

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:54 pm