2011 Beer and Liquor Thread (formerly Volmillion's)

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: 2011 Beer and Liquor Thread (formerly Volmillion's)

Post by hedge » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:32 am

Well, that place I just mentioned was pretty cool. Charleston is awash with good watering holes and restaurants. We tried to get brunch at a place on King St. called Macintosh, should've called for a reservation. We didn't eat there, but we had read something about it and it looked good. Also, clearly, it was packed, so that's a good sign. I can't recall the names of some of the other places as I drank more liquor over the past 4 days than I probably did in all of 2012 combined. I will ask the MIF for some of the names, but if you haven't been to Charleston in awhile, you are in for a pleasant surprise. Finding good spots to hang out and eat and drink is like shooting fish in a barrel down there. Probably one of my favorite towns as of this weekend. It's a little on the yuppie/upscale side, not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying if you like it a little grungier, I didn't see anything like that, but I'm sure you could find something along those lines if you asked around...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:36 am

sounds good. thanks. I havent been since 1991 so I'm sure it's changed a lot.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:37 am

Also, I hooked up with a somewhat derelict buddy of mine who I haven't seen in 15 years who I just found out was living down there (he had talked to Stu recently which is how I found out), he is a big deadhead from way back and he also worked as a sound guy at Tipitina's, I think you guys would hit it off. He is a carriage tour guide, so he knows all the history of the city, plus he loves to drink and smoke weed, so he would know plenty of spots that you would probably enjoy (he led us around to several spots on Saturday night, those are the ones I can't remember the names of). Would be glad you hook you up with him if you like...

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 am

sure that would be cool.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Last summer we were in & out of McIntosh in an hour. Sucks to be you.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:13 pm

It took you a whole hour to get kicked out? That must be some kind of record for you...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:33 pm

That's what my kids said too

Big Orange Junky
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by Big Orange Junky » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Hedge, did your buddy get you some Pappy's yet? If so what did you think?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:40 am

Nope, still working on it. I drink alot of wine with this guy, and his is always way better than mine, so I don't want to bug him about the Pappy's (which I don't really care about, but would love to get if he can). But he has put some feelers out with some folks who, if they can't get it, then certainly nobody else I know possibly could. So I'm just letting it simmer. Based on this guy's track record of getting wine, I'd say the chances are pretty good. I'd love to get the 23 year old stuff, but I'll take whatever he can get. I have to say, based on my current tastes, I suspect I'd still prefer a good scotch to Pappy's, irregardless of how good it is. Don't get me wrong, I still want to try it, just to find out if it's really the best bourbon out there, but I don't think it's going to convert me back into preferring bourbon over scotch or tequila...

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Yep, I am not a big burbon guy but I was impressed and if it was easier to get I would definately be a fan and keep it stocked. I don't know of any other burbon I would drink regularly, although I like Wild Turkey Rare Breed pretty good, but not good enough to make me a "burbon drinker".

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 pm

I used to drink bourbon right regular (as regular as I ever drank liquor, anyway) and I still have a few bottles of what I call good bourbon (Knob Creek, Maker's of course, Elijah Craig 18 year old (best bargain by far)), but I rarely drink it. One of my buddies came over a few months ago and made up some good old fashioned's, I could handle those on a regular basis, but I don't feel like peeling the oranges and squeezing the oil out of the skins. They also knock me on my ass, so it's probably not a good idea for that to be my weekday go-to drank...

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:56 am

Just had a friend text me about a Scottish place in Knoxville. Something called Boyd's Jig and Reel. Any of the local knoxvillians hear about it?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:08 am

Sounds fishy.
Let 'er Blow!

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Well, I doubt anyone believes this, and I'm not sure how "good" it is since I tried to save a life and failed, but it's my story, and coincidentally, this is the anniversary of my deed, so here goes:

I spent my formative years on the subcontinent, as my father was a major in the British Army and stationed in India during the Second Opium War. Once, while he was away on campaign, I was tasked to eliminate a streak of rogue tigers who had been killing the villagers in a place called Bharatpur. My houseboy, Qattaie, was my faithful servant on this expedition. The journey was a hard day's travel and we made a hasty camp to get some rest. But before I could finish my tea, a village woman, named Culay, ran in and shouted that tiger's were attacking. We quickly followed and after killing three of the beasts, I set my sights on the fourth -and last- but unfortunately my gun jammed. Thinking and moving on instinct, I drew my knife and leapt on the back of the behemoth. My blade found his carotid, and dealt a mortal blow, but not before the tiger had clawed Qattaie. As the tiger fell, I rushed to my servant's side and surmised that his wounds would likely prove fatal.

Nonetheless, I thus began a frantic search for help, when I happened upon Sgt. Gunny McDonald, a deserter from the Scottish regiment that had been under my father's command. Gunny thought I was a part of a team to bring him back, so he attacked, but I kept my wits about me and killed him with a Kimura Lock.

Afterwards, I rifled through the dead sergeant's supplies to find something -anything- that would help abate Qattaie's pain, and found a bottle of Drambuie among Gunny's things. I ran back to my camp faster than I had ever ran before, but upon arrival I found that poor Qattaie had died while I was gone. Grief-stricken, I sat down and drank the whole bottle before making my way back to the base.

Now, every March 25th I toast a glass of Drambuie to the memory of Qattaie... As god is my witness....
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Agree..Fishy.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Ummmm, Drambuie.
Let 'er Blow!

SnoodGator
Sophomore

Post by SnoodGator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:58 am

I believe it. March 25th is my wedding anniversary. 24 years so far.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 am

I think AA made that up

kimura lock indeed

the vertabraker would have sealed the deal

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm

hedge wrote:I used to drink bourbon right regular (as regular as I ever drank liquor, anyway) and I still have a few bottles of what I call good bourbon (Knob Creek, Maker's of course, Elijah Craig 18 year old (best bargain by far)), but I rarely drink it. One of my buddies came over a few months ago and made up some good old fashioned's, I could handle those on a regular basis, but I don't feel like peeling the oranges and squeezing the oil out of the skins. They also knock me on my ass, so it's probably not a good idea for that to be my weekday go-to drank...
Mr & Mrs T makes a serviceable Old Fashioned Mix. 1 part bourbon, 1 part mix, and 1 part club soda, over ice. Toss in a slice of orange if you're feeling guilty about using a mix. The Manhattan mix is pretty good too. (best to ignore the calorie stats...something like 400+ for a 2 oz serving)
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 am

The 2nd Opium War never got it's due. All the major networks chose to cover the conflict closer to home (Yankee Tyranny and Aggression vs Southern Sovereignty).
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"