Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by aTm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Tommy Tubberville had a ridiculous quote the other day about how it should open up recruiting in Houston for Texas Tech (Lubbock is a 10 hour drive from Houston) because I guess his rationale is that Texas A&M is now located in some faraway state since we changed conferences. He is in for a big surprise if he thinks that the Houston area is going to retain any kind of attachment to Big 12 football for very long. Tech better start expanding their inroads in DFW and SA.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Owlman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:45 pm

You're fooling yourself if you don't think Texas isn't going to be the dominant or near dominant recruiter in the Houston area just because the Aggies went to the SEC.
My Dad is my hero still.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Saint » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 pm

I think Barnes has not improved really since last year. he still takes wild shots, as though he's trying to be Jordan or Kobe, and while during UNC's stretch run last year, they were falling, they haven't as much this year. I don't see him as a team leader either. he'll be a lottery pick no matter when he goes pro but I can't see him as a top 5 pick right now.

Bluecat
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by Bluecat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm confused by your double negative -- do you think I'm a fool if I believe Texas will be the top recruiter in Houston or do you think I'm a fool if I don't buy the Horns as top dogs in Houston?

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Texas will get players. Texas and A&M will recruit well statewide. I think Oklahoma State in particular will be hit hardest. Texas Tech is and will continue to be a non-factor in area recruiting.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:50 pm

the answer of course is whichever way is ultimately correct
My Dad is my hero still.

Bluecat
Sophomore

Post by Bluecat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Of course

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Hizzy III » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Houston's actually more open to outside (ie, outside the Big XII) influences than any other metropolitan area in the state. There is a growing number of recruits from the Houston area going to the Big Ten, Pac 12 an MWC schools. The ACC has made greater inroads as well. DFW is recruited pretty well outside the Big XII also but not quite as to the degree as is the Houston area nowadays. I have no reason for this, though. Both areas have a very high number of highly touted athletes. I will say, though, that it seems Oklahoma and Okie State are recruiting the Dallas area very strong and that UT hasn't been quite as focused on the Houston area as in past years. That might have a small something to do with it.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:41 pm

This is the way things broke down this year (2012) for the Houston area recruits from the top 100.

It should be noted that this is fairly different from 2011, where Texas cleaned house in Houston. Most other schools are similar from last year to this year. The other notable absentees beside Texas is Nebraska who got several area recruits in 2011 but is absent from Texas for the most part in 2012 and Oklahoma who also got nobody of note from the area this year.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:13 pm

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:44 pm

nbadraft.net

1. Anthony Davis

3. Harrison barnes

7. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

16. Doron Lamb

19. Terrence Jones

He's not even #3 on his own team now, things can shape up for him in the post season tournaments but that is still a fairly significant drop in draft stock
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Hizzy III » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Wrong thread.

Oh, wait a minute!
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:01 pm

T Dot O Dot wrote:nbadraft.net

1. Anthony Davis

3. Harrison barnes

7. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

16. Doron Lamb

19. Terrence Jones

He's not even #3 on his own team now, things can shape up for him in the post season tournaments but that is still a fairly significant drop in draft stock
I hope he comes back.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:05 pm

Saint wrote:I think Barnes has not improved really since last year. he still takes wild shots, as though he's trying to be Jordan or Kobe, and while during UNC's stretch run last year, they were falling, they haven't as much this year. I don't see him as a team leader either. he'll be a lottery pick no matter when he goes pro but I can't see him as a top 5 pick right now.
I agree 100%, Saint. Plus, I think he's hurting the team with his "me first" attitude. He doesn't come out and say it like McCants, but his body language and bullshit shot selection SCREAMS it. Oh yeah, and ask yourself this -- When was the last time you saw Harrison Barnes congratulate Tyler Zeller on a big basket, or hell, even slap hands on a made free throw? I think Barnes is having a helluva time coming to terms with being the 2nd best player on the team. Maybe not NBA draft-wise, but Zeller is the odds on favorite for ACC POY right now. I don't think Barnes would get a single vote today.

Bottom Line: Stop the dumbass drives into nowhere (i.e. turnovers and charges) and go back to shooting spot up three-pointers, where he was money down the stretch last season. If I'm Roy, I tell Barnes he can either post his man up, or spot up beyond the arc and wait for a pass from Marshall. No drives to the basket unless he's sure he's going to dunk it.

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Does Terrence Jones coming in with such high accolades, only to be overshadowed by better players, remind anyone else of Rodrick Rhodes at UK? We had our own version of that guy at Carolina...

Brian Reese

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 pm

I get the feeling that this team may have some locker-room issues. I'm not talking about the turmoil we have seen during the past, but I think that the team is probably divided into two camps right now. They're not on the same page...
The Anti k* wrote:
Saint wrote:I think Barnes has not improved really since last year. he still takes wild shots, as though he's trying to be Jordan or Kobe, and while during UNC's stretch run last year, they were falling, they haven't as much this year. I don't see him as a team leader either. he'll be a lottery pick no matter when he goes pro but I can't see him as a top 5 pick right now.
I agree 100%, Saint. Plus, I think he's hurting the team with his "me first" attitude. He doesn't come out and say it like McCants, but his body language and bullshit shot selection SCREAMS it. Oh yeah, and ask yourself this -- When was the last time you saw Harrison Barnes congratulate Tyler Zeller on a big basket, or hell, even slap hands on a made free throw? I think Barnes is having a helluva time coming to terms with being the 2nd best player on the team. Maybe not NBA draft-wise, but Zeller is the odds on favorite for ACC POY right now. I don't think Barnes would get a single vote today.

Bottom Line: Stop the dumbass drives into nowhere (i.e. turnovers and charges) and go back to shooting spot up three-pointers, where he was money down the stretch last season. If I'm Roy, I tell Barnes he can either post his man up, or spot up beyond the arc and wait for a pass from Marshall. No drives to the basket unless he's sure he's going to dunk it.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:53 pm

The Anti k* wrote:Does Terrence Jones coming in with such high accolades, only to be overshadowed by better players, remind anyone else of Rodrick Rhodes at UK? We had our own version of that guy at Carolina...

Brian Reese

I don't know - for whatever reason I had a bit more animosity with Rodrick Rhodes, although he did own those good Arkansas teams. Probably because I"m older, I'm willing to cut Jones more slack.

Bluecat
Sophomore

Post by Bluecat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:53 pm

The Anti k* wrote:Does Terrence Jones coming in with such high accolades, only to be overshadowed by better players, remind anyone else of Rodrick Rhodes at UK? We had our own version of that guy at Carolina...

Brian Reese

He reminds me of Jack Givens. Hope he finishes his career in similar fashion.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:41 pm

You want Terrence Jones to molest little kids?
Bluecat wrote:

Brian Reese

He reminds me of Jack Givens. Hope he finishes his career in similar fashion.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Bluecat
Sophomore

Post by Bluecat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:05 am

Nope, I want him to drop 41 in an NCAA Final on Duke in a win