Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Bluecat
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: College Football

Post by Bluecat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Why doesn't Manning want to go back to Tennessee?

If he truly wants to remain a Colt and Irsay spurns him, I could easily see Peyton wanting to stay in the AFC South.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Owlman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:54 pm

I don't think Tennessee's team is nearly as strong as the Texans. That being said, I just don't see the Texans signing Manning at all.
My Dad is my hero still.

Bluecat
Sophomore

Post by Bluecat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:56 pm

Certainly the Texans are stronger, but with Schaub, I don't think they need to upset the apple cart with a signing like Manning. The Titans or Jags, however, should make a run at him if he's healthy.

Bluecat
Sophomore

Post by Bluecat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:57 pm

I should add that I don't believe Peyton will go to the NFC -- the dream is to have a Manning v Manning Super Bowl.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Saint » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:43 pm

and he definitely will not be a Redskin and have the lower hand against Eli twice a year

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:06 pm

You're going to be reading many more reports about Pey Pey going to this team or that team. Irsay needs to cut him now so we can get this over with.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Schaub's health concerns aren't nearly as strong as Manning's. Schaub is four to five years younger than Peyton. The Texans offense was among the Top 5 in total points scored and #2 in scoring differential when Schaub went down (and that's with AJ being out for five games). Schaub will never be as good as Peyton was (and maybe not as good as a healthy Manning would be today) but with that defense, that running game and that improved OL, the Texans can certainly reach a SB with Schaub. Like Spacer said, I just don't see the Texans going in that direction, not when they've gotta figure out a way to fit both Mario and Arian under the cap in a way that gives them flexibility over the next couple of seasons.

My thought is that either Briesel or Myers is gone from the OL and that Antoine Caldwell (OG/C)will be asked to replace one or the other (most likely Briesel). Dreesen is probably gone as well and Garret Graham will finally see more playing time as the 2nd tight end.

Maybe the best thing the Texans achieved in 2011--that is, beyond actually making the playoffs--is learning how much depth they have across the board. So with that, I don't think they're as concerned about trying to add that missing piece like a HOF QB. I think they're more interested in just locking up the playmakers they already have and then solidifying and couple of starting positions (like the #2 wide receiver, which is clearly the offense's weak point).

There's been growing talk about Peyton going to the Chiefs, as Matt Cassel has looked incredibly average since the end of the 2010 regular season. Not so out of the realm of possibility, particularly when you see how much cap maneuverability the Chiefs have.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:03 pm

If Peyton is willing to sign an incentive laden contract why wouldn't any team that needs him sign him?

Even if his arm is a noodle, he'll fill the stadium for the first half of the season
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:54 pm

There's only four teams that didn't sell out every game last year.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:16 pm

sardis wrote:There's only four teams that didn't sell out every game last year.
really?
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Ok, I was using NFL blackout stats. Maybe not completely truthful.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:24 am

I think there were around 16 games blacked out this past year. I know the Bengals had at least 6 and Tampa Bay & Jacksonville had some.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:11 am

From the article:
08:07 AM ET 02.14 | There are, of course, many moving parts to Peyton Manning's future, but speculation heated up again Monday. Someone I know who is close friends with the Manning family says Peyton is definitely interested in possibly coming to the Texans. Peyton will be released by the Colts early next month and will be a free agent. The person who knows the Mannings says Peyton wants to play on a team that has a chance of going to a Super Bowl, and the Texans fit that description. Another big plus is that the Texans are in the Colts division. Manning not only knows the division, but I'm told the relationship between him and Colts ownerRobert Irsay now is strictly business.
Wow, I had NO IDEA that Peyton Manning was a medium.

Jackass. At least he spelled Manning's name correctly.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:01 pm

according to irsay he's leaving it up to manning whether he comes back to the colts

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... ts-manning

I still think he winds up west. seattle, maybe arizona, maybe kansas city, maybe denver

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Sounds like Irsay is trying to alleviate some of the backlash that might come fron the fans if Peyton does leave. "Hey, it was up to him. We tried!"
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 pm

All smoke and mirrors.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 pm

yea, its up to Peyton if he wants to come back...with a contract that dumps his salary

nevermind he is the reason we're a football team or that he single handedly is responsible for us having a state of the art stadium in a mid market city, or that the downtown Indy area is completely revitalized now, nope, he is a selfish bastard if he goes to Texas.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Yeah, he just got paid 26 million dollars to have surgery all last season so yeah.....

Bottom line - No team in their right mind on March 13th is going to give him 25 million per season over the next 2/3 years without knowing anything about his health. Period. End of story. If someone does, good for them, they can bite the salary cap hit. At best, he is going to get a very heavy incentive based contract where he has to meet certain milestones which will be based on his health. He can get probably the best deal in Indy if he goes that route. However, if someone like Arizona or Seattle offers him a big time deal regardless of health, then oh well.

And Yes, you are correct on all points about the Indy area and stadium BUT at some point his career in Indy/NFL is going to end. Time waits for no man.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Irsay is the anti Mike Brown. He knows how to run a football team but lacks the business sense.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Him dumping it off on Peyton though is fake.