Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by Saint » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:20 am

I noticed that about the fugly chicks in that UNC students photo. plus, there were lots of dorky dudes. it's as if someone lifted an image from Cameron and photoshopped all the shirts light blue. damn, maybe UNC is turning into a land of fat, ugly dorks. hedge could make a killing peddling blow and eballs there now if that's the case.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by sardis » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:57 am

hedge wrote:I wonder if Terrance Jones wishes he had gone pro last year. He certainly hasn't helped himself by staying. On the bright side, he might be back next year. It's one thing to not improve your numbers from your previous year or even be the undisputed go to guy on your team, but it's another to regress as much as he has and to be completely overshadowed by two freshmen...
Can you say the same for Harrison Barnes? His stats haven't declined, but haven't improved that much either. I don't think people are thinking that he is as superhuman as they were thinking last year.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:56 am

stat of the day

big 12 is so desparate to get texas into the big dance that after when we dominated to a 13 point lead at halftime in austin saturday the refs stepped in

texas went to the free throw line 28 times in the second half to our 0

28-0--all told 32 straight times they went to the free throw line. we lost by 11

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 am

Stop fouling!
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by aTm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:32 am

Exactly. Stop whining, too.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 am

"Can you say the same for Harrison Barnes? His stats haven't declined, but haven't improved that much either. I don't think people are thinking that he is as superhuman as they were thinking last year."

He definitely hasn't blown up to superhuman levels this year, but he hasn't dropped off as much as Jones and in fact, as you yourself pointed out, his numbers have improved over last year. And while a case can be made for Zeller being the best player on the team (and with better NBA prospects - I don't think many would make that case, but I would certainly entertain it), if he is, he's 1a and Barnes is 1b. And many would say that Barnes is 1a if not outright #1. Jones is clearly #3 on his team at best, being overshadowed by two freshmen. At least Zeller is a senior. And even allowing for a super talent like The Brow, which is it understandable, Jones has fallen behind Gilcrest as well, and by a pretty fair margin.

Maybe Barnes should've gone last year, but he's still a solid lottery pick this year, probably top 5 or 6. Jones ain't no lottery pick and will probably fall to the late teens, if he even goes pro this year, which he will just for pride. It may end up costing Barnes a few thousand bucks (but maybe not) for staying, but Jones has lost way more than that...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Fifer
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by Fifer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:06 pm

crashcourse wrote:stat of the day

big 12 is so desparate to get texas into the big dance that after when we dominated to a 13 point lead at halftime in austin saturday the refs stepped in

28-0--all told 32 straight times they went to the free throw line. we lost by 11
The Big 12 is history. They're putting duck Tape on the Titanic. Texas, Oklahoma, OK State will be in the SEC in a year, two at the most. That will be the end of the Big 12. Your only hope of a good conference in the future is the Big Ten goes to 16,18, or 20 teams.

My guess is you, KU, Iowa State, and the big prize, Notre Dame, will be in the Big Ten within 5 years. ND will go in kicking and screaming, but they won't have a choice when the Big East falls apart. The four super conferences and a DIv I football playoff is inevitable.

My fear on this is that Cincinnati will be left out in the cold, and Kentucky football will shoved further and further to the bottom.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Texas, Oklahoma, OK State will be in the SEC in a year, two at the most.
Don't bet on it.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 pm

hedge wrote:"Can you say the same for Harrison Barnes? His stats haven't declined, but haven't improved that much either. I don't think people are thinking that he is as superhuman as they were thinking last year."

He definitely hasn't blown up to superhuman levels this year, but he hasn't dropped off as much as Jones and in fact, as you yourself pointed out, his numbers have improved over last year. And while a case can be made for Zeller being the best player on the team (and with better NBA prospects - I don't think many would make that case, but I would certainly entertain it), if he is, he's 1a and Barnes is 1b. And many would say that Barnes is 1a if not outright #1. Jones is clearly #3 on his team at best, being overshadowed by two freshmen. At least Zeller is a senior. And even allowing for a super talent like The Brow, which is it understandable, Jones has fallen behind Gilcrest as well, and by a pretty fair margin.

Maybe Barnes should've gone last year, but he's still a solid lottery pick this year, probably top 5 or 6. Jones ain't no lottery pick and will probably fall to the late teens, if he even goes pro this year, which he will just for pride. It may end up costing Barnes a few thousand bucks (but maybe not) for staying, but Jones has lost way more than that...
lets wait and see what the teams do in the tournament. Lottery picks have a way of going up or down based on their performance in March
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Hizzy III » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:58 pm

Fifer wrote:
crashcourse wrote:stat of the day

The Big 12 is history. They're putting duck Tape on the Titanic. Texas, Oklahoma, OK State will be in the SEC in a year, two at the most. That will be the end of the Big 12. Your only hope of a good conference in the future is the Big Ten goes to 16,18, or 20 teams.

My guess is you, KU, Iowa State, and the big prize, Notre Dame, will be in the Big Ten within 5 years. ND will go in kicking and screaming, but they won't have a choice when the Big East falls apart. The four super conferences and a DIv I football playoff is inevitable.

My fear on this is that Cincinnati will be left out in the cold, and Kentucky football will shoved further and further to the bottom.
As of 2013, the Big XII will consist of:

Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas Christian
West Virginia

That's a solid group, both in football and basketball. If the Bix XII is falling apart, it'll be for reasons other than the quality of teams in the conference. The only real mystery is who would be a twelfth team that they would bring in to help re-establish a two-division league with a conference championship game, which is what all the BCS conferences perfer now, given the extra television revenue bargaining power it brings.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:25 pm

you can make that 2012--west virginia is out of the big east starting july
football scehdules released--we play them on the road in november I think

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Yeah, I was more thinking 2012-2013 season, so you're right.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

Fifer
Junior

Post by Fifer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:59 pm

It's a solid group for now, until Texas follows A&M into the SEC, or until the Division I playoff becomes a reality. Then it's Katie bar the door. Even ND will be swept up in that tsumani. As I see it now the only thing holding the BCS system together is Texas staying in the Big 12. If and when they jump, the whole house of cards comes down.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:10 pm

If Texas bolts for a new conference (or, even less likely, go independent), it won't be going to the SEC. Texas would likely go Big Ten or Pac 10 before that, and that's not very likely either at this point.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:14 pm

I've heard that there is a voting bloc within the SEC consisting of Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, and now Texas A&M that will vote no on admitting other school's within those 5 states.

Fifer
Junior

Post by Fifer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:21 pm

aTm wrote:I've heard that there is a voting bloc within the SEC consisting of Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, and now Texas A&M that will vote no on admitting other school's within those 5 states.
Kentucky wants to keep Louisville out. Louisville will become desperate as the football in the Big East comes to an end. There is nothing that UK would love more than to shit in Louisville face.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:06 pm

basically none of the schools want another school from their state in the SEC.

A&M was smart to make the jump. They may not compete for a title but there is serious money to be made
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:16 pm

It won't become apparent for a while because I'm not sure many people around the state and elsewhere have actually sat up and taken notice on how much Louisiana influence exists in the city of Houston these days, but Houston is going to end up being pretty much a locked down SEC town as far as coverage and fan interest goes. I'm surprised it hadn't been happening more already with how much of LSU's alumni and fan base is here. Of course, the most significant portion of our fan base is here also.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:17 pm

aTm wrote:
Texas, Oklahoma, OK State will be in the SEC in a year, two at the most.
Don't bet on it.
not happening
My Dad is my hero still.