DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:33 pm

eCat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:09 pm My prediction

The refs are going to catch wind of the growing backlash of Purdue getting all the fouls and change it up for NC St.

Purdue will be stunned by NC ST

If Burns is 275, BRM and I are too.

If State stays healthy, out of foul trouble and avoids having completely off nights from starters -- especially Burns and Horne -- I think Purdue has a serious problem on their hands.

At the same time, I don't know if Burns can avoid foul trouble against Edey, and I think facing a legit rim protector of that caliber -- which he has yet to really face during this run off of the top of my head -- poses the obvious problem for Burns.

State likes to run stuff that is almost like clear out sets but this time to a post player where they get Burns the ball 15-17 feet from the basket, let him iso and back his man in the post. So...
1) What if Purdue shifts personnel to double with Edey traveling away from the basket to stay with Burns? Burns can pass the damn ball very well, and State will have opportunities to feast on cuts to an unprotected basket and work the extra pass out to an open shooter.
2) What if Purdue doesn't shift personnel to double but still keep Edey out on Burns? I think that's smarter, but I still think it leaves Purdue vulnerable to cuts on an unprotected basket.

If the refs are sensitive about Purdue's rep for getting foul calls and Purdue doubles Burns, Purdue is in deep shit all things being equal. Somehow, Matt Painter has yet to coach himself out of a victory this March, and this could be the game it happens.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:43 pm

Burns is legit. Wolfpack gots dis.
"For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild, reckless abandon off the field and being that way on the field." - Lawrence Taylor

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:02 pm

If you are UConn, and you are looking PAST Alabama (don't know why you would, but if you are) who do you really want to win this Purdue-NC State game?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:02 pm

at this point I just don't want UConn to win. Would like to see Purdue or Bama win it all just because they haven't
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:23 pm

"I am listening to volume 1 of Stephen Kotkin’s soon to be completed trilogy on Stalin"

What have you discovered?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:14 pm

eCat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:02 pm at this point I just don't want UConn to win. Would like to see Purdue or Bama win it all just because they haven't
Yep, with you. UConn had zero titles in 1998. They’re about to tie us for 3rd with six NCAA banners. Hurley is maniacally driven and he is at THE school which doesn’t even pretend to give a single fuck about football. The Huskies might finally be the UCLA of the East that Lefty Driesell prophesied in the early 70s.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:53 pm

hedge wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:23 pm "I am listening to volume 1 of Stephen Kotkin’s soon to be completed trilogy on Stalin"

What have you discovered?
Discovered/confirmed/learned more about stuff such as

1) extremist windbags of that era were just as foolish as extremist windbags of this or any era.
2) Stalin was far more capable and far more centrally important in ensuring that the Soviets held on during the period after revolution and during the Civil War than what Trotsky and many historians would lead you to believe.
3) these guys were fucking losers like IB.
4) the Soviets were lucky in that their long shot bid to take/hold power worked moreso because of the incompetence of others than anything else.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:57 pm

DS!
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:25 pm

AA!

I hope you are doing well and enjoying what I assume are your retirement / semi-retirement years.

Am I to take it that you are doing some teaching now?

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope everything works out for you. I'm glad to see you even if you came after Bama beat my Heels....

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:02 pm

Thanks, DS. I’m retired and then unretired. Been faculty at a university for more than a decade. Perhaps a bit more emeritus lately.

I appreciate it, glad to be in a FF -which is stellar for Bama - but no one is beating UConne (or I’ll be shocked if it happens).
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:06 pm

Thought you were in hospital administration? Maybe that’s over 10 years ago and time just runs together for me.

Anyway, glad you’re alive

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:11 pm

I did 30 years of med center admin. The faculty gig is a lot less stressful.
— Abraham Lincoln

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:29 am

AlabamAlum wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:11 pm I did 30 years of med center admin. The faculty gig is a lot less stressful.
I'm sure you don't miss The Joint Commission.

So, I'm drinking scotch these days, but I'm a neophyte compared to some of my neighbors and folks like you. I gravitate towards Speyside (Glenlivet, Macallan, and Balvenie are my preferred choices with Glenlivet being my standard go to choice) with the occasional foray over to Oban to get my Highland kick. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should try to broaden my horizons?

I'm not a Glenfiddich man, but I was given a bottle as a gift. I have have taken a few drinks from it, and whenever I do, I am reminded of your enjoyment of the valley of the deer....

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:57 am

lol.

I head back to Scotland in June. Glenfiddich 12 is a great everyday drinker. Not everyone prefers a speysider, though.
— Abraham Lincoln

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:04 am

Have you tried the Islay offerings, DS? They're not to everyone's liking, but I like them...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:43 am

Islays are good. Lagavulin is probably the most commercially popular of them.

I also love the Highland malts. Dalmore is fabulous, but it’s pricey.
— Abraham Lincoln

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:50 am

Lagavulin is the most popular, but also my favorite, which kinda bugs me for some reason. But it's good. The other usual suspects from Islay are Bowmore, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich and Ardbeg (they all make several varieties but I usually stick with the standard aged offerings). I don't drink scotch all that often, so I look forward to the double barrel smoke/peat/camphor kick of the Islay offerings when I do. Sadly, due to the state controlled liquor monopoly in NC, I'm pretty much limited to the popular brands, but I like them all, so can't complain too much..

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:21 am

The only Islay I’ve tried besides Lagavulin is Laphroaig…and I prefer Lagavulin. It’s my go-to on the rare occasions I drink scotch.
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:30 pm

All the Islay scotches have a somewhat similar flavor profile. I mean, there's a far greater difference b/w different Islay scotches than there is b/w, say, different American light beers (or regular beers for that matter), but you know an Islay when you taste one. Also, the "standard" Laphroaig offering is their 10 year old, Lagavulin's standard bottle is 16 years old, which probably accounts for some of the difference, above and beyond their individual flavor profiles.

My Scottish ancestors came from Mull, which is two islands up from Islay, I'm sure that played a role in my starting with Islays when I was first getting into scotch. Can't say that I've ever regretted that. They do have a distillery on Mull, but the two bottles I ordered from them were subpar (to say the least)...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:35 pm

I love this guy: