Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:35 pm

I drove to Goldsboro for a funeral today. I filled up before I left. I drove 106 miles total, and I doubt I drive much more than 106 miles in my car over the next two weeks. Everywhere I would drive is within a 3 mile radius. It’s nice.

So, the gas prices don’t affect me that much.

It affects my wife more. We have had her suburban for a little over 5 years and have our 80k miles on that vehicle, but that’s far from what Hedge deals with.
Last edited by DooKSucks on Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

hedge
Legend
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:36 pm

I actually think acknowledging that higher gas prices (and any other prices) not being as big a deal for himself is more sincere than not mentioning it and just acting like he's really concerned about it. I mean, everybody is already thinking "fuck you, Tapper (or any of the cable news talking heads), this isn't affecting your rich ass at all," so I kinda appreciate the fact that he acknowledges it up front. But irregardless, it's not really a blip on the radar either way...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:39 pm

Yep

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:46 pm

"We have had her suburban for a little over 5 years and have our 80k miles on that vehicle, but that’s far from what Hedge deals with."

I've still got my little bullshit S-Corp, so I get to write off like 60 cents per mile and I always report about 25K miles, and that's likely to go up next year (thanks, Joe Biden!) if gas prices stay up, so that pretty much negates all my fuel costs and then some...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:04 pm

"America can have energy independence, we have 100 years of coal in the ground"

let's roll coal, y'all!!

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:05 pm

hedge wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:46 pm "We have had her suburban for a little over 5 years and have our 80k miles on that vehicle, but that’s far from what Hedge deals with."

I've still got my little bullshit S-Corp, so I get to write off like 60 cents per mile and I always report about 25K miles, and that's likely to go up next year (thanks, Joe Biden!) if gas prices stay up, so that pretty much negates all my fuel costs and then some...
God bless my wife’s company…

Granted, all but a few of the miles she puts on her suburban are for her decorating jobs.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:08 pm

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:48 pm

I'm hoping the price of used trucks and large SUV's go down as a result of this, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:49 pm

I guess I just contradicted myself...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:46 pm

img_1_1646869554659.jpg
img_1_1646869554659.jpg (76.41 KiB) Viewed 587 times

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:50 pm

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:45 pm

img_1_1646970315349.jpg
img_1_1646970315349.jpg (143.04 KiB) Viewed 569 times

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:52 am

Both of thems fault.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:46 am

US GDP is about 20.5 trillion
Oil/petroleum account for about 7-8% of GDP.

Russian GDP is about 1.7 trillion
Oil/petroleum account for about 17-19% of GDP.

Sooooo, it's obvious Russia wanted Trump, or any repub, to be elected....$60/barrel vs $100. Good lord, you've got to be a special kind of stupid to believe the HRC/dem/msm collusion tripe.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:31 am

Trump's not a republican, he's just an idiot. Putin knows how to exploit idiocy. And he obviously succeeded, with Trump and with you, puppet boy...

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:41 am

hedge wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:11 pm Of course if you're driving a big ass truck (with MAGA and Let's Go Brandon stickers on it) that gets 13 mpg, you're fucked. But you were probably already fucked anyway in that case...
I now own a big-ass truck to tow my 5th wheel. 2006 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab with Cummins Diesel. I have owned it for 5 or 6 weeks. I drive it (maybe) once a week, maybe 10 miles, just to keep everything working. Haven't put a drop if diesel into it since I've bought it. The rest of the week, I drive our other cars (most of them Hondas.) So I am not completely fucked.

I don't think my situation is all that unusual. I think the majority of people who own really huge pick ups and Suburbans, they own more than just that vehicle. They drive others and just "park" their heavy duty vehicles while gasoline prices are so high. Drive the fuel efficient vehicles. Oh and MAGA!
Last edited by innocentbystander on Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:47 am

No, you idiot, most people who own a car or truck only own one car or truck and drive it all the time...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:53 am

hedge wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:47 am No, you idiot, most people only own one car or truck and drive it all the time...
I half agree with you.

Most people only own one car. They drive that one car all the time. BUT, most of the people who own big-ass trucks, they have more than just the big-ass truck to drive. They also have a $1000, 20 year old, piece-of-shit, fuel efficient car to drive to work.

Why would anyone get a big ass truck for commuting purposes? What sane person would do that hedge? I know a lot of people with big-ass trucks. None of those trucks are driven to the office.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:59 am

innocentbystander wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:53 am - BUT, most of the people who own big-ass trucks, they have more than just the big-ass truck to drive. They also have a $1000, 20 year old, piece-of-shit, fuel efficient car to drive to work.

Why would anyone get a big ass truck for commuting purposes? What sane person would do that hedge? I know a lot of people with big-ass trucks. None of those trucks are driven to the office.
Again, you haven't escaped your mother's basement much...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:12 am

DooKSucks wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:59 am
innocentbystander wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:53 am - BUT, most of the people who own big-ass trucks, they have more than just the big-ass truck to drive. They also have a $1000, 20 year old, piece-of-shit, fuel efficient car to drive to work.

Again, you haven't escaped your mother's basement much...
Mom lives in Florida, no basement.

Look we are going to have to agree to disagree. I can't speak for North Carolina, Kentucky, or Cincinatti, but here in Arizona, there are big ass trucks everywhere. And pretty much everyone who has a big-ass truck, they have something else to drive. Same could be said for where my folks live in Florida (a very poor county I might add), if you have big-ass truck, you also have something else. They have the big-ass truck because they have big-ass toys and/or big-ass projects. But during the week, they have something else with 4 cylinders.

Now our situation here may be different DS in that cars and trucks never rust in Arizona. Its not uncommon for a family of 4 to have 5 vehicles. They may all be old (and paid for) but they have them. And they last forever. Arizona sun "eats" batteries and tires. Replace the batteries and tires and your car (or big ass truck) lasts forever.

The problem with high gas prices is for people with the lowest income.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... d=msedgntp
Gas costs make up about 3.6% of income for Americans earning less than $30,000 a year, compared to 2.3% for those earning $50,000 to $150,000, a Labor Department survey shows.

And if lower-income Americans have to pay more for gas, Zandi asks, “What else aren’t they going to buy?”
People with the lowest income do not go out and buy big ass trucks. They can't afford it. They couldn't afford it even when gasoline was cheap. Big ass trucks are not practical.

When I was in high school and poor (worked just 10 hours a week if that), gasoline was 30% of my weekly expenses. Today, its not even 2%. I'm not an outlier.

These gas prices are really crushing the poorest Americans. Its awful. I can't even imagine having to fill up my car every week and that being such a significant percentage of my weekly expenses. But for the wealthier Americans who work from home and telecommute, just drive to Costco or whatever, its not that bad.