Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:01 am

I know UNC fans despise NC State and everything that it is (and isn't.)

And I know UNC fans hate Duke with the explosive energy of 1000 suns going supernova, a hatred so strong it almost makes your hate for NC State look like love.

But what I don't know, is how UNC fans feel about Wake Forest? They are also from your neck of the woods. How do you feel about them especially when they are doing well (like right now?)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:33 am

We've typically owned them so it's hard to build up too much animosity. I don't remember them ever winning more than 2 in a row against us, and even that was rare. Plus their fan base is pretty similar to ours even though Wake is a private school. It's a pretty boring rivalry. The only thing that gives it a whiff of legitimacy is that it's intrastate. I think it was a bigger deal in like the 1950's and earlier when they were actually in the town of Wake Forest. We don't even play them every year anymore, and sometimes 2 or 3 years between games. Hard to maintain a rivalry under those circumstances...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:41 am

Fair enough. So the feeling is not hatred. Its more, indifference.

BC plays them every year now and they have been a pain in our ass from time-to-time. I think they have had some exceptional coaching to overcompensate for their lack of talent and athleticism.

NC State and UNC have legitimate stadiums. Wake Forest, the field is a little "high-school-ish" with people sitting in the grass in the end zone. That is nice if you are going to concert, but not a football game.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:30 pm

Carolina's stadium was like that when I was in school. Duke's stadium was recently renovated and now holds 40K. Before that it was closer to 30K. That's bigger than any high school stadium (well, maybe not in Texas) but still pretty small for a college stadium. The Dead played there in 70's (in Cameron, too)...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Wake fans / alums -- all 35 of them -- HATE Carolina, but we're accustomed to that. As a general rule, anyone who is not a Carolina alum/fan and is from the traditional ACC footprint (SC, NC, Va/Md) tend to hate Carolina.

Wake is a good school, but it's not worth the price. You're paying what you would pay for an Ivy League education and getting a school that is routinely ranked alongside Carolina in any ranking system. My experience is that the majority of Wake students are old money legacies or Northern kids who couldn't get into an elite school.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:21 pm

DooKSucks wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:04 pmWake is a good school, but it's not worth the price.
I would say that these 11 words, these 11 words could be said of about half of the universities that are currently in operation in the United States. Teachers and professors lose their shit and go absolutely NUTS when people say such things but what DS said is very true, very correct. What BC alumni/students say of the $300,000 sticker price for 4 years at Chestnut Hill: its only worth it if you are going on to Law School or Medical School. Otherwise, why bother? Why do you need to spend $300,000 for a bachelor's degree in communications? Just go to DeVry. Or UMass.

I suppose the argument for justifying all that money spent for BC is the "networking" (BC grads only hiring other BC grads and promoting BC grads into management.) Same could be said of Wake Forest. I mean that was the reason why all those parents spent all that money to "cheat" to send their kids to USC via Operation Varsity Blues. So if you are sending your kid to Wake Forest for the "networking" aspect, then over their 40 year career (hopeful that their son or daughter will get promotions or job offers simply because the hiring director went to Wake Forest), then maybe the $250,000 for years could be justified.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:40 am

6-0