Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:03 am

I feel for the family but I can't see how Robinhood is to blame for this

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/investin ... index.html
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Bklyn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:29 am

Not Robinhood's fault, at all. Novices getting involved with derivative products and over-levering is the problem. God bless the kid, and his family more importantly, but you can't blame the broker for your trades (even if you misunderstand the statement).
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 am

Oh the irony...

It Sure Looks Like Trump Will Face Criminal Charges for Election Fraud

"Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis has opened a criminal investigation into Donald Trump’s attempt to interfere with Georgia’s election, the New York Times reported on Wednesday. While the former president faces potential criminal liability in several states, including New York, now that he has left office, the Georgia probe may pose the most immediate threat. All available evidence suggests that prosecutors are considering charges that amount to election fraud—a felony offense under Georgia law, and the very crime that Trump claimed he sought to stop."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... arges.html
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:37 am

That story is a perfect example of why you pursue justice, even when you know it is likely to fail. If this ultimately goes to a trial, the DA is just following the law. A jury will likely have enough aTm's on there to nullify the jury and at least hang it to Trump's benefit. Still, that doesn't matter. The DA has to uphold his oath and responsibility to justice, so you open the investigation and indict if warranted. (some in) The Senate are doing the same thing with adjudicating these Articles of Impeachment. We know it won't lead to a conviction, but you do it when you feel it is in pursuit of justice...elusive as that may be.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:35 am

I saw Lindsey Graham addressing his colleagues on Jan. 6th - misty-eyed and visibly shaken - saying he was "done" with Trump after the violence that had just taken place there.

But now that he's slept on it, he's found that he can't quit Trump after all.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:54 am

If people opposing Trump want to keep his memory alive and the people agitated, then these prosecutions are the right thing.

Trump would fade into memory pretty quick as his supporters will find another cause in hating Biden if they'd let it happen.

Trump isn't going away until you let him go away. The man truly believes any press is good press.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:59 am

bluetick wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:35 am I saw Lindsey Graham addressing his colleagues on Jan. 6th - misty-eyed and visibly shaken - saying he was "done" with Trump after the violence that had just taken place there.

But now that he's slept on it, he's found that he can't quit Trump after all.
Shocking. I'm sure his idea of which statement was more likely to keep him on the politician gravy train after the next election changed.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:05 am

Bklyn wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:37 am That story is a perfect example of why you pursue justice, even when you know it is likely to fail. If this ultimately goes to a trial, the DA is just following the law. A jury will likely have enough aTm's on there to nullify the jury and at least hang it to Trump's benefit. Still, that doesn't matter. The DA has to uphold his oath and responsibility to justice, so you open the investigation and indict if warranted. (some in) The Senate are doing the same thing with adjudicating these Articles of Impeachment. We know it won't lead to a conviction, but you do it when you feel it is in pursuit of justice...elusive as that may be.
I dont really have a problem. If Georgia wants to try and convict Trump for crimes have at it. Completely disagree with your view that impeachment has anything to do with justice. Even in the best of circumstances, it is pure legislative politics wrapped up in a judicial skin, which this version barely has without the chief justice participating.

Also, if Georgia can already try an indict Trump since he is out of office, the judicial purpose of impeachment is already achieved. It is a waste of time so all of these blowhards (R and D) can put their stupid faces in the news and pretend to be the saviors of the country to their voters.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:56 pm

That's not true. Impeachment is not simply a remedy for a sitting politician. There is precedent for it happening with an official that resigned instead of facing impeachment. Barring Trump from ever holding office again (even though I don't think he's running again in 2024 under any circumstance) has merit, so the impeachment process has merit.

Do I think some pols are pushing impeachment/conviction for political posturing? Yep. Do I think there are plenty of them that are doing it for justice, democracy and constitutionality? Yep. Romney and Cheney sure as shit aren't doing it for face time, and not to ingratiate themselves with their constituents.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Do I think there are plenty of them that are doing it for justice, democracy and constitutionality? Yep. Romney and Cheney sure as shit aren't doing it for face time, and not to ingratiate themselves with their constituents.

you're kidding yourself

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:37 pm

Why do you think Romney and, particularly, Cheney are on board with it?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:38 pm

And any of the other republicans, some of whom are in very red, Trumpy districts/states?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:39 pm

Also, do you think many of the repubs who are against it really think he doesn't deserve to be impeached or do you think they're against it b/c they know their constituents will hold it against them?

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Bklyn wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:56 pm That's not true. Impeachment is not simply a remedy for a sitting politician. There is precedent for it happening with an official that resigned instead of facing impeachment. Barring Trump from ever holding office again (even though I don't think he's running again in 2024 under any circumstance) has merit, so the impeachment process has merit.

Do I think some pols are pushing impeachment/conviction for political posturing? Yep. Do I think there are plenty of them that are doing it for justice, democracy and constitutionality? Yep. Romney and Cheney sure as shit aren't doing it for face time, and not to ingratiate themselves with their constituents.
Impeaching to bar Trump from office, to me, is still legislative politics not “justice.” Id be fine with it, but there is zero chance of conviction, they already know they dont have the votes. Waste of time.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:17 pm

hedge wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:39 pm Also, do you think many of the repubs who are against it really think he doesn't deserve to be impeached or do you think they're against it b/c they know their constituents will hold it against them?
probably

they hated Trump before he became president but they are political animals

which is what Cheney and Romney are counting on. They are contrarians representing the last gasp of RINO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cheney soften her stance

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A memo describing the poll by Trump pollster John McLaughlin — and released Wednesday night by Trump’s former senior adviser, Jason Miller — shows Cheney down 54-21 in a hypothetical head-to-head matchup with Bouchard in a Republican primary. Bouchard announced his candidacy soon after Cheney voted to impeach the former president.

Those numbers were driven largely by the state’s overwhelming support for Trump, deep opposition to impeachment, as well as a high level of distrust in Congress, the poll shows.

“It is clear, Wyoming voters are going to hold Cheney accountable on the ballot,” the memo, which was first reported by Politico, read. “Only 13% of general election voters would vote to re-elect Cheney. Her re-elect score drops to 10% among Republicans and 6% among Trump voters.”

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:19 pm

The very idea that impeachment is not purely political was always just a flimsy facade, and regardless of the merits of this latest version, its just the final crumbling of the facade regardless. Every President from now on will get impeached as soon as the other party has the ability and it becomes advantageous politically to do so. One harebrained #TeamRed numbskull has even already drafted up the articles against Biden. Thats how it is now.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:53 pm

He's guilty. We all know that but Republicans are still afraid of him. This decades OJ.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:12 pm

Wyoming voters are fools who deserve what they get if they throw out a lifelong staunch republican, who also happens to be the 3rd highest ranking repub in congress, just b/c they're butthurt over her stance on Trump. But, like most Trump supporters I've come across, I suspect they really don't give a shit about anything except Trump...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:25 pm

Coming up for re-election every two years means people have long memories.

Here is the thing though

Representative means representative of ....wait for it....the people right? Does she really deserve to be in congress if she isn't representative of the will of her constituents?

So is it about Cheney or is it about the people she represents? If its about her, then she needs to be gone- as does a bunch of other congressmen/women

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:37 pm

I'm swamped. I won't be able to get this for a few days. I can't wait.