Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by aTm » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:06 pm

The problem with that guy's case would seem to me to be being able to prove material damages. Your career in baseball is never ruined by one game, and it is not a scenario like say tennis or track or something like that, where you could say "I could have won X tournament/race! But I was eliminated!"

A baseball team is not necessarily even signing a player based on his historical performance at all, much less one game. It is "what will he do in the future?" that matters, even after that someone could sign this guy based on performances in spring training or Japan, and I'm guessing that 0 teams in MLB are looking at this guy now and changing their opinion because "oh thats totally different if we throw out that one Astros game." Tons of dudes got shelled for 4 runs in 1/3 of an inning in 2017 by other teams that still have major league careers. The guy got released because he sucked...in all the games, not just one against the Astros.

The case would have way more merit, if it was someone who was arbitration eligible, who could claim that they would have won an award or made an all-star appeareance but they got beat out by a cheating Astros player and therefore had to take less money in arbitration. That would have a better chance of showing real damages. At best I can see this dude winning and being given like a few thousand dollars or some other token amount while opening up a ridiculous pandoras box.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:10 pm

Hedge. It is when you're standing on second base. It's not when you have a camera in the stands relaying it to a coach who bangs on a garbage can to relay it.
Last edited by Jungle Rat on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:10 pm

FREE PETE ROSE!

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:22 pm

hedge wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 pm I'm not a baseball guy as everyone knows, but what's the problem with picking off signals? I would think that's just part of the game, if you can't signal your pitcher in such a way as to not get the signal picked off, that's your problem...
That's part of the problem with this. Some things that are perfectly legal are being misconstrued and wrapped up in things in the eyes of both the moronic wing of the baseball media and uninformed fans.

Use of technology to decode signals=legal and every team does it (or should). Every team has advance scouts. They dont need them to see players hit and pitch. Almost the entire purpose of them now when everybody has available video of every game is to watch the coaches and dugouts to try and gain advantages. Building databases and algorithms that you can feed signals from prior games into to determine what the sign sequences were after the fact is also allowed (ie the Codebreaker thing the Astros developed)

Signalling to batter (through various means including verbal, banging on something, whistling, signals from a runner on second base) what pitch you think coming=legal and every team does it

Using a live camera to determine signals in real time (illegal). The Astros did this. Multiple teams have done this throughout the history of baseball, and many more have been accused of it. The Astros are the first to have a former teammate confirm it in the same timeframe that it happened (many many ex-players have said their teams did it, but only years after the fact when everybody was retired and nobody cared)

Using electronic devices to signal to the players, relay information between team members, etc other than the approved things like bullpen phones (illegal). The Astros are not accused of doing this (at least not officially, conspiracy type fans believe this happened because of social media posts), although it is part of what the Yankees and Red Sox received punishment for in 2017 that led to a memo by Manfred regarding electronic devices and some MLB rule changes for the 2018 season.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:28 pm

I don't believe that any World Series or even playoff series has been impacted by this in any material way, although it certainly could have changed some regular season games. Anybody who has watched a postseason series in the last 5 years, can easily see that paranoia regarding signs has been in full effect for years. Most teams were using complex signs and changing them up so often it was affecting watching the game. Catchers in the postseason also started regularly faking where they were setting up for a pitch and moving late. The mound visits rule was put into effect largely because there were so many mound visits in the 2017 and 2018 playoffs, which IMO were hugely impacted by all teams feeling the need to go out to the mound to change the signs every few batters.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by crotch » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:42 pm

hedge wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 pm ..........but what's the problem with picking off signals? I would think that's just part of the game.
Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Hedge on something.......

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:50 pm

The weirdest, most fucked up thing about the 2017 World Series is still the fact that the baseballs changed so much that pop ups were sailing out of Dodger Stadium like Coors Field.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:55 pm

So maybe a team would have an advantage if they just let the pitcher decide what he was going to throw on every pitch. The manager could still send signals (even fake signals, even "signals" that he was just making up on the spot that mean nothing to the pitcher) and that would throw the other team off even more. Goddamn, they're paying these guys tens of millions of dollars a year, you'd think they figure out what pitch to throw...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Mano y mano, baby!
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:57 pm

hedge wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:55 pm So maybe a team would have an advantage if they just let the pitcher decide what he was going to throw on every pitch. The manager could still send signals (even fake signals, even "signals" that he was just making up on the spot that mean nothing to the pitcher) and that would throw the other team off even more. Goddamn, they're paying these guys tens of millions of dollars a year, you'd think they figure out what pitch to throw...
If you think the other team is stealing your signs (illegally or otherwise), one basic temporary fix is to obviously signal offspeed or breaking ball and then throw the heater up and in.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:18 pm

I’m voting for Bernie in the SC primary.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:09 pm

You wonder what’s going through Pete’s and Amy’s mind regarding Bloomberg since they are moderate candidates. Will they back out before Super Tuesday and take one for the team? or they’re pissed off at Bloomberg that they’ll hang in just to thwart him.

https://www.axios.com/bernie-sanders-mi ... 15010.html

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Disclaimer: aTm is an Astros fan.

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Rat:

hi
THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:34 pm

sardis wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:09 pm You wonder what’s going through Pete’s and Amy’s mind regarding Bloomberg since they are moderate candidates. Will they back out before Super Tuesday and take one for the team? or they’re pissed off at Bloomberg that they’ll hang in just to thwart him.

He could give each one of them $7m to drop out.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:41 pm

shaddup
THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Who's the wizard?

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:25 pm

eCat wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:34 pm
sardis wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:09 pm You wonder what’s going through Pete’s and Amy’s mind regarding Bloomberg since they are moderate candidates. Will they back out before Super Tuesday and take one for the team? or they’re pissed off at Bloomberg that they’ll hang in just to thwart him.

He could give each one of them $7m to drop out.
He could give them much more than that.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:26 pm

I'm actually warming up to this idea. Would help boost our falling birth rate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/19/suraj-p ... -kids.html

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:50 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:10 pm FREE PETE ROSE!
No kidding. They ought to build the guy his own wing at the HoF in light of current events. NO penalty for the Astros is bs. The commissioner ought to re-watch Eight Men Out.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"