Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: La Salle Explorers

Post by crashcourse » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:52 pm

what you dont know is she will make it for a few days to bourbon street and likley not paying anything as she is 18 a girl and at a campus within driving distance with a bunch of rich kids that she can hitch a ride with

or maybe you do know that

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:56 pm

crashcourse wrote:what you dont know is she will make it for a few days to bourbon street and likley not paying anything as she is 18 a girl and at a campus within driving distance with a bunch of rich kids that she can hitch a ride with

or maybe you do know that

I figure that day will come soon enough

she just isn't going to bother asking me ahead of time

I told her go to Destin or Panama City, go to Disneyworld, just not fucking New Orleans.

And don't get me wrong, New Orleans is my favorite city in the USA, but I know what goes on there.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:42 pm

spent 5 years in Nashville back in the late 80's. Did the printers alley, Ernest Tubb record shop thing a couple of times with friends.

My mom moved there in 2007 so we've been going down there 4 or 5 times a year but I was never interested in the tourist thing.

Took my wife there this weekend, just got back actually a little while ago. Got a hotel close to downtown and spent a couple of days there as a tourist.

To say its changed since 1988 doesn't do it justice. That place is Bourbon street - just replace flaming homosexuals with guys in cowboy hats.

Had a young woman from a bachelorette party throw up in a trash can I was standing next to, saw a fight, was accosted by 2 homeless people - no I don't need help parking my car, yes I can spare a dollar, no you can't have the 20 you saw in my wallet.

I'm a bit old to hit it hard but we had a nice dinner across from Bridgestone Arena, went to Ernest Tubbs (which was particularly timely after watching the Loretta Lynn documentary) and stopped in one of the countless fake honky tonks to listen to a country band play I'm come from a land down under. WTF? and buy a $7 Corona.

If I was 20 and still lived there, I'd be down there every night.

Also, no David Allen Coe in Ernest Tubb's record shop. Sad (that's an inside joke with me and my wife but we did spend about 10 minutes trying to find one)
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Liked the pic of mrs ecat in wine country

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:08 pm

yea, whatever we do now has to include wine tastings. I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me.

Arrington Wineries is owned by Brooks or Dunn from Brooks & Dunn - I don't' know which nor do I care. It was the busiest I've ever seen a winery - at least 300 people.

35 minute wait to get to taste wine *or* you could spend $14 for 4 small plastic cups like airplanes put peanuts in when you fly first class and get a cardboard drink carrier, with the privilege of sitting outside in 38 degree weather.

But...that place was loaded with attractive women - I mean wow...groups of gorgeous women just showing up to drink bad wine in a plastic cup. Oh to be 30 years old again.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Ya could have at least flirted with a few to boost your over 50 ego.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:32 am

I wouldn't mind hitting Nashville just to check it out but that fake country shit ain't my thing. In fact, I'd probably rather listen to hip hop than modern country if I had a gun to my head. Then again I would probably just take the bullet. Good lord, all that shit is garbage.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:18 am

Hoping you really do take that bullet

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:28 am

"...just replace flaming homosexuals with guys in cowboy hats."

I hate to break this to you...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:09 am

this has been out awhile, but if there is any karma in the world, this kid will grow up to be another Stan Lee

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:33 am

I can't believe you racists drove Brooklyn away.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 am

That reminds me, I'm going to NYC in a couple months for a weekend, going to be mostly tourist sightseeing as far as activities, but anybody got any "can't miss" recommendations?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 am

Yeah, the ground. Jump off the Empire State Building, you can't miss...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:48 am

3 days as a tourist in New York is on my bucket list.

Not sure I'll ever get around to doing it though.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:50 am

Went there for a wedding once. Never again.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:12 pm

Day 1: Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty is a whole day/if you like Opera, The Met

Day 2 Empire State bldg/MOMA or Guggenheim/Katz Deli/Broadway show

If you’re looking for a good bar to watch people and listen to live (usually Celtic) music, I can’t tecommend Paddy Reilly’s Music Bar enough. Usually stays open until 5am or so.

Walk Central Park and Times Square.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Eh, Times Square is probably worth a look if you've never seen it in person, but it's basically just a big outdoor mall now. It's iconic, but if you don't get to it, you really didn't miss anything.

There is an area at the extreme northwestern tip of the island called Fort Tryon, there's a cool medieval museum-like monastery (rebuild from actual monastery pieces from Europe) that's worth checking out just for the structure itself (and the surroundings - there's nothing else like it in NY), it houses a lot of medieval art (might be run by one of the bigger museums, not sure). Anyway, it's not a very New York-y thing to do, necessarily, but it's pretty cool. Also something else that doesn't seem very New York-y, and you may not be terribly interested in this, but there are lots of really cool churches (more like cathedrals) in Manhattan, you'll likely see a couple anyway just walking around, but they're worth checking out just for the architecture...

I would also recommend having a drink at one of the iconic hotels along the south side of the park (Plaza, Ritz Carlton, whatever), it's kinda hoity-toity but fun. Then after you get drunk there you can stroll by Trump Tower which is just a couple of blocks away and then pop back over to the park and go ice skating at Wollman rink, which is run by the Trump organization, so that would be a good way for you to pay tribute to your leader...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Like AA said, going up the Empire State Bldg is fun, but sometimes there are very long lines. I've never done it but I suspect the Chrysler Bldg offers the same and I would guess the wait time would be significantly less. It's not as tall, but close. Also, can't miss the ground if you jump from the Chrysler Bldg, either. Katz's is great and there is a picture on the wall (among about a million others) of Ron Jeremy with one of the workers, both holding their hands apart as if they are measuring something. Not sure what they are trying to indicate by how far apart their hands are, but Ron's hands are way farther apart than the worker's....

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Hedge,

No.

You absolutely should walk parts of it. But you don’t have to spend much time there. That’s why I left it at the end and not in the itinerary. The skating rink, 30 Rock, Times Square, and what have you can be seen after the Broadway show. Plus, I like a lot of the rooftop bars in that area.

Fort Tyron is a waste of time. It is like the Medieval Knights tourist-dinner places. Avoid. Unless you’re some rube hayseed wearing socks and crocs.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

SnoodGator
Sophomore

Post by SnoodGator » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:09 pm

9/11 Museum. Get an appointment in advance online. Walking around underneath is quite an experience. The outside fountains are very moving as well.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Eat downstairs at Wo Hops (cash only) in China Town and then walk to Little Italy and have a cannoli.

Have 2 beers at McSorleys. Lincoln campaigned there.

Go inside St Patrick's Cathedral.

Go inside the 5th Avenue Library and then stroll Bryant Park behind it. The library is between 41st and 42nd so you can easily walk to Times Square from there and see it and all the video screens. Don't pose for pictures with Spiderman unless you are willing to pay.

Visit the Museum of Natural History. Dinosaurs!