aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

College Football

Post by aTm » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:19 am

Well, actually, any kind of football talk
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: College Football

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:45 pm

I had to get a job working for a school with zero championships :( .

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:46 pm

But what the hell, we'll win something someday, maybe even before I'm dead. :?

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AugustWest » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:57 pm

saw today where espn was saying carson palmer was determined to get out of cleveland. I dont know who should be more insulted cleveland or cinncinati
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

The Original Hizzy
Recruit

Post by The Original Hizzy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Meh.

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:32 pm

ATM--you have hidden my Trojans under the Goat Pen sign!!--I am devastated! :cry:
I try not to limit my madness to March

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:09 pm

The Texas logo is directly to the right of USC.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

The Original Hizzy
Recruit

Post by The Original Hizzy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:31 pm

That still won't reduce any of the 70-plus all-time wins, agroid.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:21 pm

On March 14th the University of North Carolina announced the members of it's task force on academics and athletics. It's an independent commission charged with examining the entire unc system to weed out any academic or athletic improprieties among it’s member institutions. The problem is that only one of the member institutions is currently under investigation for either, and it’s under investigation for both; The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. So why is the entire system under investigation when only one school is in trouble? In the late ‘1980’s when NC State was under investigation no one was calling for a review at Western Carolina, and currently no one is calling for an investigation of the Ohio Bobcats.
15 UNC football players missed games last season after being suspended for academic improprieties, receiving illegal benefits from agents or both. Five were banned permanently from college football. An assistant head coach/recruiting coordinator was allowed to resign after the ncaa uncovered evidence that he was acting as an agent for a California based company run by the coaches’ best friend. Some of these violations are unprecedented in NCAA history. Yet UNC has imposed no penalties on itself, indeed it admits no wrong doing on its part at all.

It is the responsibility of the Board of Governors to find out what happened at Carolina and who should be held responsible for the mess. Yet nobody within the system is looking at UNC at all. And there’s a reason why. The University Of North Carolina Board Of Governors is dominated by people with ties to Chapel Hill. Forty-Four members of the Board are alumni of UNC. The next closest schools are NC State and East Carolina both of which have 5 alumni on the board. UNC therefore has more power on the board than all the other schools combined. Eight new members of the BOG we’re named on March 25th. Four received degrees from UNC. One has donated over $30million to UNC. What do you think the chances are of him trying to expose corruption at the university he’s given so much money to? Apparently the board members are more concerned with winning football games than fixing the problems at their favorite university. The only way the public will ever find out the truth about UNC’s football is through an independent investigation that the BOG has no interest in forming. It is time that the make up of the BOG is changed to make representation of all schools more equal.

UNC-CH has always prided itself on it’s academic reputation. In fact Carolina likes to think of itself as a public Ivy League school. So why haven’t the academics at UNC stood up and called for an investigation into the football teams academic improprieties? More than one football player that had admitted to cheating was allowed back on the football field without going before the honor court. Shouldn’t professor want to know if the athletes attending their classes are really doing their own work? Apparently not. 82 percent of the grades issued by those same professors are A’s or B’s Maybe UNC’s academic integrity should be as in question it’s athletic integrity. Maybe the just don’t want to give up those choice seats in the Dean Dome.

Lastly I want to ask the press in North Carolina why there has been no call for an independent investigation of Butch Davis’ program like there was of Jim Valvano’s. While several articles have been written detailing the transgressions of individual players there have been few if any asking what anybody in UNC’s athletic department knew and when did they know it? Multiple potential 1st round draft picks were flying all over the country, paid for by a close acquaintance of both the head and assistant head coach, others were wearing expensive jewelry and more were getting inappropriate academic assistance from a personal employee of the head coach and the press isn’t asking who knew and if they didn’t, why didn’t they? Multiple newspapers requested records from UNC including phone, e-mail, text and parking ticket records and UNC refused to release them. The Daily Tar Heel and a couple of other papers were forced to file suit to get the records released, but there never seems to be disclosure by the press that they are being stonewalled by UNC. Any school in the State but UNC and there would be front page articles everyday calling for an investigation and demanding that the information be released immediately.

UNC has a history of cheating going back to the 1940’s when Charlie Justice was one the highest paid athletes in the country while attending UNC. (Justice agreed to attend UNC after they agreed to provide his wife with a scholarship. Ironically NC State was put on probation 20 years later for supposedly offering a scholarship to Duke to a recruits girlfriend. In the “50’s their basketball program was involved in a point shaving scandal, and in the ‘80’s Lawrence Taylor dictated a book in which he details remaining eligible at UNC while never attending class, selling shoes and tickets for pocket money and having numerous arrest covered up by the UNC administration. The fact that UNC has avoided punishment for most of these past acts should not excuse them from punishment and exposure now. Marvin Austin’s tweets have exposed a culture of cheating in Chapel Hill that needs to be cleaned up. The academics at UNC need to hold the athletic department needs to hold the athletic department to at least the same standards they hold the general student body. The Board of Governors needs to appoint an independent commission to determine if the athletic department was knew about the violations and did nothing about them or if they were truly ignorant of what was happening, and then make sure those responsible are punished appropriately. North Carolina’s press corps needs to be willing to ask some tough question and follow up if the answers don’t make any sense. I’ll believe it when I see it.

David McPherson
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:23 pm

add this behind "admits no wrongdoing at all"

I dont understand why UNC is risking it's academic and athletic reputation for a coach that's never finished with better than 8 wins 3rd in it's division and is currently 0-fer against Nc State.

Fifer
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by Fifer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:20 am

Good report on College Football this morning on ESPN. Urban Meyer was there. Shocking story he told about how some street agent in Miami got in his face and tried to shake him down to be able to talk to recruits at a NW Miami high school. Good segment on Brian Kelly and ND. Another good story on OSU. Seems like OSU doesn't quite know weather to scratch their watch or wind their ass at this point.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:31 pm

ESPN did a story on something other than spurious allegations against Auburn?

Good day.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am

No more poisoned flower beds or trees I presume.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:ESPN did a story on something other than spurious allegations against Auburn?

Good day.
Well, it looks like miracles do happen...
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:39 pm

ESPN is in full meltdown mode with the Red Sox starting 0-5

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by Saint » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:50 am

Augie,

A question about this graph:

Forty-four members of the Board are alumni of UNC. The next closest schools are NC State and East Carolina, both of which have five alumni on the board. UNC, therefore, has more power on the board than all the other schools combined. Eight new members of the BOG were named March 25. Four received degrees from UNC. One has donated over $30 million to UNC. What do you think the chances are of him trying to expose corruption at the university he’s given so much money to?

Where did you get those numbers? I only counted 33 board members on the BOG website and of those, around 12 whose personal details were listed had undergrad degrees from UNC. A few more went to grad school there and one attended UNC but graduated from Gardner-Webb then postgrad at Wake.

http://www.northcarolina.edu/bog/members.htm

Also, tell me where you got this figure:

Eighty-two percent of the grades issued by those same professors are A’s or B’s.

I want to run this letter this week but would like to doublecheck the info you cite so neither of us look stupid.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:48 am

the second link that pops up when you google "unc grade inflation". it's like the fifth time I've posted it. of course four of the times were for ds and we all know he cant read.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/campusnot ... hapel-hill

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:56 am

check this info. I got the numbers from an article I posed at WC (no not a packpride post) but this info matches yours. I'll keep looking but this info still shows unc with half the votes. by far the largest voting block while representing 13% of the student body.

http://www.northcarolina.edu/bog/members.htmFrom the UNC website

35 members - 17 direct ties to UNC-CH, 4 to NCSU. (Counting undergrad & grad both).

Member Affiliation (Undergrad) Affiliation (Grad)
Gage UNC-CH
Hans UNC-CH
Sanders Howard
Barringer UNC-CH
Bhula UNC-CH
Blackburn
Blank NCSU NCSU
Bowden WFU Campbell
Buffaloe ECSU NCCU/VPI
Daniels UNC-CH
Daughtridge UNC-CH
Davenport
Davis Guilford WFU
Deal ASU UNC-CH
Dixon ECU UNC-CH
Flood NCCU ECU/Duke
Fulton UNC-CH
Goodnight NCSU
Goodyear Barnard Brown
Hayes ECU ECU
Holshouser Davidson UNC-CH
Key UNC-G
Lail UNC-CH
Leatherwood NCSU
Locklear UNC Pembroke UNC-CH
McCain NC A&T
Mercer UNC-CH UM/NYU/Harvard
Mills UNC-CH/WFU
Mitchell NCSU UNC-CH
Pitts ASU NCCU
Robinson Bennett College NC A&T/UCLA
Roseman UNC-CH UNC-CH
Taylor UNC-CH UNC-CH
Wilson ASU WFU/Duke
Young UNC-CH