Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: College Football

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:19 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Les Miles would do a good job for the Vols.
Agreed:
Re: Tennessee Volunteers

Postby Professor Tiger » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:33 pm
I'm surprised Les Miles' name hasn't been mentioned in any of the coaching vacancies.
Maybe Miles is lying in wait for the Michigan job, which might come open soon.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:13 pm

after hearing what happened in the game last night, I think the Bengals should have one goal for next season and that is to break Big Ben's leg during a game.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:43 pm

I bet this is big bens last year

brutal game last night

burfect will always be a target for Pittsburgh after the Antonio brown hit last year

browns td catch last night could have been equally brutal
luck he hopped up

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:34 pm

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:51 pm

exactly

we remember
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:43 am

Aaron Torres writes a piece that should make UT fans feel a little better

----------------

It isn’t an exaggeration to say that the Tennessee football coaching search might end up as the most over-scrutinized and overanalyzed search in the history of college football. Take a social media mob, mainstream media backlash and a three-week adventure that involved two AD’s and more than half a dozen candidates, and it really was like nothing that we’ve ever seen before in college football.

Unfortunately for those of us who enjoyed the sheer entertainment value of the search process, it has come to an end. The Vols have hired Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt as the school’s new head coach on Thursday.

Ultimately, we’re still years away from finding out whether Pruitt is the “right” man for the job or not, but really, that’s not what we’re here to talk about today. What we’re here to talk about is the process that it took to get here, specifically the moment when Tennessee fans boycotted the first man who was hired for the job, Greg Schiano, back a few weeks ago. It was a boycott that led many in the national media with a few exceptions (including me, CBS’s Barrett Sallee and a handful of others) to unfairly criticize Vols fans, and paint them as a group of pitchfork carrying hillbillies with no perspective on reality or their place in the college football universe.

Well, with the coaching search complete, I’m here to say one thing: In the end, Tennessee fans were proven correct. Not because we can say with 100 percent certainty that Jeremy Pruitt is the right man for the job. But because the fan-base as a whole stood up to their administration, said “enough is enough” and didn’t settle on mediocrity from the start.

To understand why Vols fans are right, you have to understand the psyche of the entire Tennessee fan-base – a fan-base that has dealt with more bad hires and overall ineptitude than just about any fan-base in college sports over the last decade or so. With all due respect to other schools like Arkansas and Ole Miss, no one has quite put the “fun” in dysfunction quite like Tennessee has the last few years.

To give you a quick recap here goes: It all started in 2009 when Lane Kiffin left for USC, all due to the simple fact that he had a miniscule, $800,000 buyout that left him easy to hire away. The fact that his buyout was so small was administrative malpractice, and things didn’t get better when Tennessee hired Derek Dooley – with a career record of 17-20 at Louisiana Tech – to replace him. It continued three years later with the Butch Jones hire, and well, we all saw how that went (I mean honestly, I’ve seen can openers with a higher IQ than Butch), and let’s not forget that the Vols also made one of the most egregious coaching hires in modern basketball history a few years ago when they signed Donnie Tyndall. The same Donnie Tyndall who was later popped with a 10-year show cause for some of the most egregious NCAA rules violations in recent history.

Therefore, can you blame Tennessee fans for being mad? Can you blame them for seeing Schiano, who I described the day of the hire as “Butch Jones with better hair” and knowing it was going to be a disaster? Can you blame them for standing up to their highly-paid administration and simply saying “this is not good enough?” Can you blame them for being outraged that their administration hired Schiano – who was barely .500 as a college head coach, flamed out in the NFL, and is despised by most of his former players – without doing any real search, or interviewing any other candidates (as best we know) for the job?

Of course not, and that’s why I never blamed Tennessee fans from the beginning (and I’m not even going to get into Schiano’s loose, potential ties to the Jerry Sandusky case). To put this in a different perspective, remember when Kentucky fired Billy Gillispie in 2009? Now imagine if instead of replacing him with John Calipari, UK had instead chosen someone who UK fans knew would fail, like say, Mark Gottfried or Matt Doherty? Or imagine if Alabama had decided to hire Ron Zook in 2007, without even attempting to interview Nick Saban? You think fans would have freaked out? Of course, and they would have had every right to.

Now with that, I already know what most of you are thinking: “Torres, that’s a cute analogy. But Jeremy Pruitt isn’t Nick Saban or John Calipari.”

And you’re right. But that also highlights another point that most of the media is missing. For Tennessee, it was never really about getting the perfect hire, since few schools rarely do. What it was about was again, what I said up top. It was about not settling for mediocrity.

Understand that in theory, there was never anything wrong with hiring Greg Schiano – if he was sixth, seventh or eighth choice for the job. The problem was hiring him right away, without any semblance of a coaching search. Remember, an athletic director serves as the gatekeeper for an entire athletic department and should have the best interests of his school, the athletes and fans at heart. Therefore, the athletic director’s only goal should be to do a thorough job, to make every phone call and turn over every rock needed to get the possible candidate in as their head coach.

Did that happen at Tennessee? Not at the beginning. Nope, it wasn’t until after the Schiano revolt that an actual coaching search – the way it’s SUPPOSED TO BE DONE – really began.

That’s another thing that John Currie underestimated: Tennessee fans had no problem “settling” on a fifth, sixth or seventh choice (which Pruitt might just be), as long as they knew that the first, second and third choice all said no. And that’s why the boycott of the Schiano hire was so important. Because it made UT go back to the drawing board, and interview the guys they should have interview in THE FIRST PLACE! Again, the problem wasn’t attempting to hire Greg Schiano, or hiring Pruitt today. It was attempting to hire Greg Schiano without even calling Mike Gundy, Jeff Brohm or every other big-time candidate. It’s OK to be told no. What’s not OK is not even calling them at all.

Which is why today is a good at Tennessee. Not because we know Jeremy Pruitt is a great hire (although his resume indicates he could be) but because the fan-base didn’t settle for mediocrity.

As it turns out, the fans were right all along.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:18 am

" It was a boycott that led many in the national media to unfairly criticize Vols fans, and paint them as a group of pitchfork carrying hillbillies with no perspective on reality or their place in the college football universe."

Irregardless of how the coaching search was handled, or anything else whatsoever, that's not an unfair characterization at all...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 am

"Now imagine if instead of replacing him with John Calipari, UK had instead chosen someone who UK fans knew would fail, like say, Mark Gottfried or Matt Doherty?"

Hopefully that will draw Coach Doh! out of retirement. Fuck you, eat me!

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:47 am

I remember when you were adamant fans had no say so in keeping, firing or hiring a coach.

That was probably more wishful thinking on your part that UK would keep Tubby.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35 am

I don't know about adamant, but, knowing the mentality and intelligence of the average fan of any program, I do generally think it's best not to let the lunatics take over the asylum. But I don't understand what it was about either of my posts that made you think I had backed off that opinion. The first one was just sass at UT fans in general and the other was just a nod at the guy that used to post in here (I think it was D'gaul) under the Coach Doh! moniker...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:44 pm

oxford comma bitch!

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:59 pm

That was before social media and people could get fired for brushing someone's tit

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:34 pm

that shit is out of control

someone reminded me today when Dick Vitale kissed Ashley Judd at a UK basketball game and she recoiled during his attempt.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:45 pm

What about Adrian Brody kissing Halle Berry at the Oscars?

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:10 am

And you know Vitale's breath stank

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:34 am

He's a NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-sty broadcaster.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:27 am

I always enjoy the Army-Navy game, and this one was a thriller.

The game also had the added attraction that NOBODY was ever going to kneel during the national anthem.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:22 pm

You knew it was coming;

[youtube]tMpjWCDF5yg[/youtube]

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:59 pm

its sad that Buffalo fans were cheering harder than Bengals fans at the Ravens game

While I think it is time for Marvin to move on, I have little faith they are going to bring in a high caliber coach - and if they do, first thing he's going to do is get rid of the convicts.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 am

SEC! SEC! SEC!

I love this Championship matchup. Although I think it makes the rest of the cfb world groan,“Oh no! Not THEM again!”

I want Georgia to win, but I think Bama will. It will be like Josephus described the war between the Judeans and the Romans: passionate zealots vs grimly relentless professionals.