Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Cletus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:00 pm

This Flynn deal has to be the reasons Trump lost his mind on twitter this week. Prof thinks the light charges mean Flynn did nothing. The rest of us in the real world know that he must have a lot to say in order to get such a light slap on the wrist.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:51 pm

Stocks went on a wild ride Friday, falling on a report that Michael Flynn was directed by President Trump to talk to Russians.

ABC News reported that Flynn would testify that he was directed to make contact with the Russians.

"If you believe the market has been rallying in the last 13 months [on hopes of fiscal stimulus, etc., this report] potentially unravels all of that," said Jeremy Klein, a chief market strategist at FBN Securities. "Markets don't like uncertainty, and this is the ultimate uncertainty."

This could be bad news for stocks, prof. Give us some encouraging words about how this is all a nothingburger with a side of witch hunt.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:50 pm

OMG OMG OMG THIS IS IT!!! After dozens of other THIS IS IT! moments, THIS TIME Trump is going down! Finally! For sure! No kidding! I'm serious!

After many months and millions of dollars of dogged investigation, Mueller is finally getting to the bottom the conspiracy. This is the biggest bombshell since Mueller broke the case of the former minister of agriculture of Malta colluding with a White House intern! Today, we finally learned that Flynn lied to the FBI. My goodness, what a bombshell! If Trump had only known that a year ago, then Trump would have fired him after only 25 days!

Hey, wait a minute...
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:06 pm

Just checked a source you would accept - CNN. Here is your bombshell:
According to a statement of offense filed in court, Flynn conducted several calls with senior officials on the Trump transition team about his discussions with Kislyak related to US sanctions of Russia.

Flynn and Trump advisers discussed US sanctions three times. The first call discussed the potential impact on the "incoming administration's foreign policy goals," according to the court filing, from which details were partially read during Flynn's plea hearing. Flynn then called Kislyak to ask that Russia not respond too harshly to US sanctions, the statement of offense said. He told a Trump transition official about that call. Russia responded by choosing not to retaliate to the sanctions.

According to the special counsel charges, McFarland and Flynn talked about the potential impact of the sanctions on the incoming Trump administration's foreign policy and that the transition team did not want Russia to escalate the situation.

The bulk of the back-and-forth calls from Flynn to the Russian ambassador and to Trump advisers happened around December 29, while the advisers were at Mar-a-Lago in Florida.

They "discussed that the members of the presidential transition team at Mar-a-Lago did not want Russia to escalate the situation," the filing said.
Flynn lied to investigators about these calls with the ambassador, according to his guilty plea and the criminal statement of offense.

The charging document states that Flynn made a false statement to the FBI when he stated that in December 2016 he did not ask Kislyak "to refrain from escalating the situation in response to sanctions that the United States had imposed against Russia that same day; and Flynn did not recall the Russian ambassador subsequently telling him that Russia had chosen to moderate its response to those sanctions as a result of his request."

The charging document states that Flynn made a false statement to the FBI when he stated that in December 2016 he did not ask Kislyak "to refrain from escalating the situation in response to sanctions that the United States had imposed against Russia that same day; and Flynn did not recall the Russian ambassador subsequently telling him that Russia had chosen to moderate its response to those sanctions as a result of his request.

A "very senior member" of Trump's transition team, who sources familiar with the matter told CNN was Kushner, told Flynn on December 22 to contact officials from foreign governments about how they would vote and "to influence those governments to delay the vote or defeat the resolution.""
So let me get this straight: some "senior Trump officials" told Flynn to talk to the Russian ambassador about not overreacting to Obama's sanctions. Are you seriously trying to criminalize an incoming NSA discussing foreign policy with a Russian ambassador (which is, sort of, their job) and then extending that phantom criminality to the President?

That's almost as preposterous as the Maltese Ag Minister - White House intern collusion THIS IS IT! moment, and the Russian hooker pee pee dossier THIS IS IT! moment. Each THIS IS IT! moment gets more and more desperate and void of substance. Yeah, I bet Trump is trembling in his Gucci loafers right now.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:07 am

Trump is a fucking joke.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 am

bluetick wrote: This could be bad news for stocks, prof. Give us some encouraging words about how this is all a nothingburger with a side of witch hunt.
Here are my encouraging words: look at the DOW chart for yesterday. At around 11:30, while I was eating chili dogs in front of the TV at the Varsity, it was first reported that Flynn had plead guilty. Your interpretation is that Wall Street was afraid that Trump was in danger, creating major uncertainty and causing prices to fall. If you believe that the market plunge was caused by the insiders' warranted fear that Trump was going down, then how do you explain the fact that the market steadily recovered the rest of the day, and closed only 40 points below the open? Your imaginary threat posed by Flynn to Trump's presidency didn't steadily disappear the rest of the day, did it?

Yesterday, also at about 11:30, it was being reported that the Senate did NOT yet have the votes to pass the tax bill, which Wall Street REALLY wants. I was just washing down my onion rings with a coke when that happened. But as the day passed, it was being reported the Senate finally DID the votes to pass the tax bill, but the final vote would be after the bell, which did happen.

Luckily, there is a way to test your hypothesis. If Wall Street is so uncertain that the Trump presidency is in danger because of Flynn, then that danger will be just as present on Monday as it was on Friday at 11:30 am, right? And that continuing uncertainly will reflect in a continued slide in stock prices on Monday. But if I'm right, then on Monday, Wall Street will be just coming off a weekend of drunken celebrations of the new tax bill, and all the money it will make them, and stock prices will go through the roof at the opening bell.

In fact, I'm willing to put a tagline bet on it. Is the equation Flynn+Trump = uncertainty + decline in stock prices on Monday, or is it Senate Tax bill uncertainty + Tax bill certainty = rise in stock prices on Monday?

Whaddaya have?

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:59 am

lol I asked for encouragement and you obliged bigly.

Stocks UP UP UP!

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:05 am

Another forecast: after Trump signs tax bill, several GOP congress members find their voice about Trump idiosyncrasies and alleged transgressions.

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 am

Well at least trump is finally getting around to helping the poor people in WV with this tax plan.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Another giant blow to the latest THIS IS IT! moment:

To review, REAL collusion with Russia, if it existed, would look something like, "Hey Vald, this is Don. If you can get a few hundred thousand blue collars in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania who voted for Obama twice to flip to me, and make me president, then you can invade the rest of Ukraine and I won't stop you."

The Trump Derangement Syndrome ABC first reported yesterday that Flynn would testify that Trump ordered him to talk to the Russians" during the campaign. As is usually the case with TDS news stories designed to make Trump look bad, this was fake news. That's why its kinda shocking that ABC later corrected the original report:

So the real news - as opposed to the fake news - is that Trump told Flynn to talk to the Russians AFTER the election. That means the above and true definition of collusion is impossible. This also means we are back to the giant scandal that a president-elect scandalously told his incoming NSA to nefariously talk to the Russian ambassador about treasonous regular foreign policy stuff like jointly fighting ISIS.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

[youtube]SqUBNyF5Z8M[/youtube]

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:08 pm

So you think this is all they’ve got on him? Well you would know best.

Here’s an analysis from people far less informed than Prof so take that with a grain of salt.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/flynn-plea- ... y-analysis

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 pm

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account@realDonaldTrump I had to fire General Flynn because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI. He has pled guilty to those lies. It is a shame because his actions during the transition were lawful. There was nothing to hide!

Way to go, dumbass. Nobody knew you fired Flynn for lying to the FBI until today's revelation. Your firing of Comey just grew a few more hat sizes. Plus all those lies you said about witch hunt/fake news when at the very least you knew a felony had been committed.

Live by the tweet; die by the tweet. Die you drive-yer-fancy-cart-on-the-green sorry SOB.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Way to go, dumbass. Nobody knew you fired Flynn for lying to the FBI until today's revelation. Your firing of Comey just grew a few more hat sizes. Plus all those lies you said about witch hunt/fake news when at the very least you knew a felony had been committed.

Live by the tweet; die by the tweet. Die you drive-yer-fancy-cart-on-the-green sorry SOB.
That sounds like what this guy, on Mueller's "investigative team," got caught texting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/02/us/p ... v=top-news

The problem isn't that he texted his hatred of Trump. I'm sure everybody on Mueller's team feels the same way. The problem is he got caught expressing it.

Similarly, Brian Ross also got caught making up fake news about Trump:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/02/media/a ... index.html

These two items merely confirm the total politicization and partisanship of both the press and Mueller.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Drain the swamp!
Let 'er Blow!

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:40 pm

Cletus and Tick, you should read this article, in the liberal “The Atlantic,” by an author who is a liberal journalism professor, at the liberal City University of New York:

The Odds of Impeachment Are Dropping
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... nt/547358/

He nails it. NOBODY who voted for Trump is anywhere close to dumping him. This whole thing is being recognized for what it is: an investigation you would expect from North Korea or Russia. Whatever they come with, it will not be accepted as real by about half the country.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 am

[youtube]rOPOmrIOaqU[/youtube]
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:12 am

Sounds like he wants to equate "social justice" with SJW's, which is nothing more than standard right wing propaganda to change definitions of words in order to marginalize movements that are actually important. Any type of identity politicking is going to have the end result of a divide and conquer of the masses, which Peterson is happily participating in, and ultimately serves the corporate right wing establishment. Same for his end conclusion that we just need to let free markets sort everything out. That ideology has caused far more problems than any SJW movement.
"For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild, reckless abandon off the field and being that way on the field." - Lawrence Taylor

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:36 am

Professor Tiger wrote:
He nails it. NOBODY who voted for Trump is anywhere close to dumping him.
Out of 360 mil Americans 62 mil voted for Trump (46% of the votes cast). His approval rating is in the toilet. In the toilet BEFORE we even have a clue what all The Donald will untlimately have to answer for.

This whole thing is being recognized for what it is: an investigation you would expect from North Korea or Russia.
Which investigation would that be? The Senate one, where the Chrmn is a republican and the Senate is majority GOP? The House one, which the Chrmn is also a republican and where the body is even more of a republican majority? Maybe the Special Counsel one, again led by a republican? It's all so unfair, right? Smacks of North Korea does it?
Whatever they come with, it will not be accepted as real by about half the country.
A third for sure. Trump loves the uneducated, and it may be that you CAN fool some of the people all of the time. Nixon still had support from a majority of republicans even after he resigned. Hey did you know that 84% of republicans thought oprama wasn't a natural born U.S. citizen? No way he could've won, right? Twice. Sheeeeeeeiiiittt.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:41 pm

If the stock market tanked on Friday because they interpreted the Flynn announcement would bring down Trump, they don't seem to be worried about that today:

Stocks Rally to Record Highs on Passage of Senate Tax Bill

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... ar-BBGaRXS

Why do you lie Tick?

You were wise not to take me up on my tagline bet challenge.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Jeff Greenfield shucks the corn on Brian Ross.....

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.