Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: MIT Engineers

Post by eCat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:28 pm

unfortunately I have no idea. I have unlimited so I've never thought about it. I might be able to put a meter on and see what I am consuming
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 am

What's up with Gamergate?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:26 pm

I attended a University of Alabama recruiting (for lack of better word) session tonight in Mason (suburb of Cinci).

over 400 people showed up for this. I was expecting like maybe 20.

Since Saban took over as coach in 2006, Bama has gone from about 24K students to 37K and have sunk about $2b into college improvements. They have new dorms for the kids that are quads with individual bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living area and a kitchenette. They have built 2 new rec centers and even have a lazy river.

Went on a UK tour Saturday. This isn't the UK I remember. All the old tower dorms are tore down and replaced with dorms that look like Marriott Hotels - similar to Bama - they are 2 individual bedrooms, a shared bathroom, a study/living area and a food prep area (microwave, fridge and sink with a counter). The library is a 4 story deal that blew me away (my nerd kid makes me take her to the library to see if she can have a quiet study area...go figure). We had twin beds in a room with a sink and two built in desks.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:45 pm

It's amazing what everybody fighting to pay hundreds of the thousands for each little cutie pie does for the academic bottom line.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Bama is playing at a different level right now. They are serious about raising the academic standard of their college - and this isn't from some recruiting pitch I heard tonight.

Word is out about Bama, especially in Southern Ohio where Ohio State and U of Cinci are financially limited on what they can offer to the stronger academic kids.

Bama has the flexibility to throw money at these kids that are getting $2500 scholarships from their state schools

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:48 am

Joke about UNC's academics all you want, but the majority of the kids around here that were locks to get into UNC when I was there don't even bother to apply now. ECU has taken a lot of them, but SEC schools are getting a big share too, with Bama, Ole Miss, SC and Georgia being the preferred choice as far as I can tell. Some of them only stay there for one year and then transfer to UNC (if they make the grades), but most of them, as you would expect, end up staying...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:56 am

my daughter has received a few pieces of mail from UNC in the past year, probably the same amount from Duke. No other Carolina school.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:39 am

This is your chance to put the eCat fambly on a higher peg...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:42 am

we're trying to do just that

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 am

Going to UNC would be a great start...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:56 am

The best part of applying to UNC in the common app

Carolina prides itself on honesty and integrity. Under the University's system of self-government, each student is responsible for obeying and supporting enforcement of the Honor Code, which is administered by students. The Honor Code specifically prohibits lying, cheating, or stealing and any conduct that impairs significantly the welfare or the educational opportunities of others in the University community.

Honestly, applying to UNC would be a waste of time as I suspect there wouldn't be enough scholarship opportunities to address the out of state tuition hit.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:32 pm

"I suspect there wouldn't be enough scholarship opportunities to address the out of state tuition hit."

Dig deep. You can't put a price on the value of a UNC education as well as being a lifetime member of the UNC fambly...

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:27 pm

My next-door neighbors' kid Sara - top athlete on the rowing team.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:35 am

hedge wrote:Joke about UNC's academics all you want, but the majority of the kids around here that were locks to get into UNC when I was there don't even bother to apply now. ECU has taken a lot of them, but SEC schools are getting a big share too, with Bama, Ole Miss, SC and Georgia being the preferred choice as far as I can tell. Some of them only stay there for one year and then transfer to UNC (if they make the grades), but most of them, as you would expect, end up staying...
Yeah. It's amazing how hard it is to get into UNC now. I had something like a 1340 (out of 1600) and a weighted GPA over 5.0, and I wonder if that would have been good enough today.

A lot of kids who would have gone to UNC are now going to State too. You're seeing a lot of kids going to SC because they're throwing gobs of money out there in an effort to recruit higher quality students like Georgia and Bama have been doing.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:12 am

Dear xxxx:

Thank you for your interest in the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. We look forward to helping you through the application process and getting to know you. Here are a few tips as you continue your journey with us.

If you're getting ready to apply: Find more information about what's required in the application and learn about key deadlines for first-year students and transfer students.

Find application tips and meet our students: Follow us @UNCAdmissions on Twitter and Facebook and visit our Admissions Blog for advice from admissions officers (such as how to write a standout essay) and for the latest updates from Carolina students.

If you’ve submitted your application, thank you! We look forward to getting to know you in the coming weeks. In the next few days, we'll be emailing you about next steps and how to check the status of your application.

If you have any questions along the way, please don't hesitate to contact us at 919.966.3621 or unchelp@admissions.unc.edu. We're here to help.

Sincerely,

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:48 am

eCait might be fixin to chainge his tune!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 pm

hedge wrote:"I suspect there wouldn't be enough scholarship opportunities to address the out of state tuition hit."

Dig deep. You can't put a price on the value of a UNC education as well as being a lifetime member of the UNC fambly...
Because she can grow up and sell corn.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:34 pm

I hear there is a very good AfAm studies program.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:14 pm

We're going to do a Bama college visit over Xmas

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Nice. Roll Tide. Let me know the date. If able, I will buy you lunch.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.